The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Do you trust MG to make a good Kesler trade?

grandmaster

Yes. He should trade Kessler to Minny for Matt Cooke. It opens up cap room for the Canucks, brings a familiar face back in to the fold, and gives the Wild a player who might help us if we get to the playoffs. Hope it happens!! :D

Please lord NO!!!!! The day Ratt Cooke was traded I danced a jig and floated around on cloud 9...a similar feeling when Yappy Lappy left. I would die a little on the inside if Ratt Cooke ever returned. I assume you're joking though, Cooke isn't worth one of Kesler's toes.

Trade Kesler? Seriously? Any bonehead can put 1 + 1 together in this simple equation. Trading Kesler away is like saying let's hit the golf course guys, the season is over (even though it is closed to being over after the Heritage game cause the Coach and Players chemsitry is just not mixing well). As bad as it sounds but if there is any hope in this team to go anywhere in the next few years is to keep the core guys around and hope for some right decisions from the coaching staffs to the upper management staffs. The Sedins go, the team is heading to rebuilding. Lu goes, the team is heading toward a new chapter which is close to rebuilding. Kesler goes, the team is heading toward rebuilding. I am not going to go on and explain why or whatever, anyone knows about sports or watch enough of it... that's how it goes and how it is. All of your can argue with what I said but I will come back and recap what I said about this to you next season to see how true it is and it becomes.

Nevertheless, trading Kesler whether which side is planning to do so is just the wrong decision as of now. Period!

You are so gullible, what do you expect him to say to the media? If he said he wanted out, we would get less on the trade and he would look like a fool if we weren't able to make it

I don't think I'm the gullible one here. If a player is unhappy and wants out making it public is the way to force it. Do you honestly believe the unhappy player cares at all about what the team he wants away from gets for him? The less the better realistically from the player perspective. The less the team he's going to has to give up, the better that team is when he arrives there.

The bottom line is this: I'll take the players word over any sportswriter anytime in a situation like this. In a few days we'll see who the gullible ones are. Be ready to change your name to 'grandmaster gullible'. Do you still believe Gaborik bought a house here? A sportswriter said so. Even said he had a source. Don't believe everything a sportswriter writes. They often choke on those chicken bones.

I think MG is a failure as a GM and have no trust in his ability to get a proper return for Kesler.

Some recent examples of his failure;

1) signing Edler long term and letting Ehrhoff walk

2) letting Hodgson go for a prospect who is no longer a prospect but rather a below average player

3) trading Schnieder for a pick when he could have got way more when his value was higher one year previous

4) firing former coach if the year in AV when the real problem was player personnel (Torts made things even worse)

MG should be fired before he screws this one up!

This is dead wrong but you already know that . Give it up. Did you know that Buffalo fans are now starting to add Hodgson into their trade proposals? That is how bad he is. He is a coaches nightmare. He wont and cant backcheck, hit ,fight or even put in a solid 60 min effort.

But hey, keep making more threads about trading the guy. Ignore what Kesler said. Ignore Gillis saying he won't ask players to waive their ntc. Just keep moving along in your little ea fantasy land.

I agree totally, but at this rate there is nothing else hockey-related in this market to be entertained with. So I guess let us move along in our ea fantasy land?

I don't think I'm the gullible one here. If a player is unhappy and wants out making it public is the way to force it. Do you honestly believe the unhappy player cares at all about what the team he wants away from gets for him? The less the better realistically from the player perspective. The less the team he's going to has to give up, the better that team is when he arrives there.

You are so short sighted. MG will not trade him if everyone knows that he is forced into it. It will give minimal returns. He is not the only GM that will not make the trade because of this reason, regardless of the player saying he wants out

Really??? Because he would know the trade won't happen if there isn't a good return. How do you not get that?
Trust me. The return being bad will have absolutely no bearing whatsoever on it being made. It is pretty much a given that the return will be bad, as such has been the case for all Bettman-era Canadian teams being forced into making trades. A good return would pretty much astound me.

The return on the Luongo trade would have been awful too if not for his insane contract killing all hope of a trade. Instead he'll be bought out and the return will be nothing.

Anything else negative to report on? Hmmm, well we're plummeting out of the playoff picture and our former art ross winners have both been erased from the face of the planet.

This is dead wrong but you already know that . Give it up. Did you know that Buffalo fans are now starting to add Hodgson into their trade proposals? That is how bad he is. He is a coaches nightmare. He wont and cant backcheck, hit ,fight or even put in a solid 60 min effort.

I think Canuck fans that watch enough hockey saw that in him before the trade. Cody Hodgson is the ultimate supporting role player. He doesn't do anything that would make him a leader on or off the ice, but he is a talented guy. He's a Dale Hawerchuk, Petre Nedved, or Jason Spezza type player. He'll put up points, but he has to be surrounded by guys willing to make the sacrifices to win hockey games, because he won't. He's already below his pace from last season after siging that big deal. I think that says it all about what kind of career Cody will have.

He may not have asked for a trade but the option is definitely being explored or gillis would have come out and said no we are not trading Ryan Kesler. This is a MAJOR distraction to the team and if a deal wasn't actively being pursued, gillis would have put the rumors to rest.

Gillis doesn't have to say anything and he's smart not to. If he gives a definite answer on this one then he'd have to on every rumor. Say he shops Tanev just to see what kind of return he could get. A team he talks to leaks it to a reporter. After saying no about the Kesler rumor if he says no comment on the Tanev rumor it's the same as saying yes because he didn't deny it. Is it good for the player to know he's being shopped if you're not even certain you're going to move him? No comment is the best course because you are consistent without having to lie. That's another problem. If he lies and then makes a move nothing he says in the future will be believed. It's a no win for the GM to answer these questions. Which is why a consistent no comment is the best course.

Btw, it's no distraction to the team at all. Gillis said such things will be kept behind closed doors. I'd bet it has been discussed behind those closed doors and the team knows full well the truth. It's only a distraction for the press (who know it will sell papers) and gullible fans who cling to the rumors and believe everything they read.

He might say, I'm not commenting on this anymore. He might say, I have no control over this, it's in Mike Gillis' hands. He probably wouldn't say, "No, I never commented to anybody that I wanted out." if he indeed wanted out. It would make no sense to say that, unless it was true. Does that mean he won't be traded? No, it doesn't. It seems you are either disinterested in debating or disliking the answers to your question. If you don't want different POV's then why start a thread asking a question?

All I am saying is don't fall in the trap that a player or even GM's word to the fans or media is the truth. These guys lie through their teeth. There is a reason that pretty much every trade rumour out there involves Kesler, regardless of what he says to us.

Do you think the Canucks would waste everyone's time if they didn't have the green light from Kesler himself?

Agree that signing Edler long-term was a huge mistake.

Ehrhoff was great but wanted more than he was worth.

People keep saying Kassian will grow into a great player. Sorry but I think at best he is a 2nd-3rd liner. He has very little hockey IQ even at his age. Hodgeson didn't want to stay here in Van but we could and should have gotten way more than just Kassian.

MG panicked and traded Schneider for a 1st round draft pick = downright stupid. While Horvat is very promising and looking like a future core player for our team (assuming MG doesn't trade him), we could have gotten better than just a 1st round pick.

Doesn't anybody else here find it odd that so many posters will believe some random sports writer's article (who we know will grab hold of any rumor like a stray dog on a chicken bone to break a story regardless of source) over the player himself?

But hey, keep making more threads about trading the guy. Ignore what Kesler said. Ignore Gillis saying he won't ask players to waive their ntc. Just keep moving along in your little ea fantasy land.

I agree.

People glom on if there's something dramatic that they can latch onto and vent about. Chill. Out.

Agree that signing Edler long-term was a huge mistake.

Ehrhoff was great but wanted more than he was worth.

People keep saying Kassian will grow into a great player. Sorry but I think at best he is a 2nd-3rd liner. He has very little hockey IQ even at his age. Hodgeson didn't want to stay here in Van but we could and should have gotten way more than just Kassian.

MG panicked and traded Schneider for a 1st round draft pick = downright stupid. While Horvat is very promising and looking like a future core player for our team (assuming MG doesn't trade him), we could have gotten better than just a 1st round pick.

There was nothing Gillis could do with Luongo. Teams were waiting for MG to buy Luo out or trade Schneider. CBA screwed us, we weren't buying out Luo. Teams weren't looking to aquire a goalie from us, we were forced to sell and teams knew that. Hence why we only got a 1st. That and Gillis never wanted to trade within the conference which makes sense.

If it wasn't for the CBA we would of gotten fair value for one of our goalies back then.

All I am saying is don't fall in the trap that a player or even GM's word to the fans or media is the truth. These guys lie through their teeth. There is a reason that pretty much every trade rumour out there involves Kesler, regardless of what he says to us.

Do you think the Canucks would waste everyone's time if they didn't have the green light from Kesler himself?

And all I'm saying is don't assume you know any more or less than anyone else. Nothing I have said should lead you to believe that I take media or team reports verbatim. I think our philosophical difference is glass half empty vs glass half full. I will not be surprised if Kesler is dealt, and I am not surprised national media is focusing on a potential deal because he is the biggest name out there in play. Just because Kesler is in play does not mean he asked for a trade. There are way too many words in the English language to use to muddy an issue for Kesler to say "No, I never commented to anybody that I wanted out." It would make no sense to lie that specifically. I don't think they are shopping, I think they are listening and if the deal of the century comes along they take it to Kesler and see what happens. I would tend to agree that there are a lot bogus reports from media, it's identifying the real ones that becomes the challenge.

You are so short sighted. MG will not trade him if everyone knows that he is forced into it. It will give minimal returns. He is not the only GM that will not make the trade because of this reason, regardless of the player saying he wants out

The only way there is a minimal return is if there's only one team he'll go to. And if Kesler truly wants out he can simply refuse to play until he's traded. He wouldn't be the first to do so and I'm pretty sure he could afford it. If he really wanted to he could go play in the KHL until Gillis moves him.

When Florida put Ballard out there three teams were bidding for him out of the five he said he'd go to. Kesler would fetch a considerably better return than Ballard did. Do you think there might be just three teams interested in a Selke winner with a very reasonable cap hit for two more years? Minimal return my arse.

If he Kesler wanted out sooner rather than later, he would not show the Canucks' hand. If he did that, other GMs would just continue to lowball Gillis, knowing that at some point Gillis would have to pull the trigger.

This

It could still be done quite easily without saying "No, I never commented to anybody that I wanted out." That statement is fairly definitive. He doesn't need to ask for a trade to be traded.

Archived