The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jacob Markstrom | #25 | G

Honeydew

Schnieder show all the signs of being an All-star goalie even if he had a good team infront of him. Lack looks like an average goalie IMO. He has some glaring holes what need to be adressed before he can be the number 1 guy.

Also if lack gets you a first you should trade him. His value isn't going to be much higher than it is now.

I agree, and honestly there are quite a few teams that have multiple top 35 picks that I would consider moving him for if they'd be open to it.

Buffalo has (2nd overall, 21st overall and 31st overall)

Edmonton has (1st overall, 16th overall, 33rd overall)

Philly has (7th overall, 26th overall) *Mason locked up for two more years. You never know with this franchise and goalies though

Arizona has (3rd overall, 24th overall, and 32nd overall) *Smith is locked up long term, ARZ is likely not too interest.

Carolina has (5th and 35th overall) *rumour that Ward could be moved, therefor could be looking for a younger netminder

Lacks only real competition for UFA goalies on the market is Ramo, Neimi, and Dubnyk (which I see being resign in MIN so you can cross him off),

Other than that there are a few back up that teams might consider to go after for cheaper (Darling, Lehner, Vasilevskiy, Gibson), but Lack IMO is likely a hot commodity. Young enough to grow with a young core (EDM & BUF) and proven enough to handle the pressure and take a team into the post season, and cheap enough that teams can take him on to replace an experienced vet (Cam Ward).

If Cory can get you a 9th (at the time was thought to be the deepest draft since 2003) and we possibly took less value due to Gillis insisting on trade him out of division + team and cap issues. Then I can see Lack who's got relatively similar AHL stats and slightly worse NHL stats (while playing on a far worse roster) potentially picking up one of those extra first round picks. Buffalo's 21st overall or at worst possibly the oilers 33rd. Question is, do we trade Lack for a 33rd overall pick when Markstrom may be able to fetch us a 55th?

I agree, and honestly there are quite a few teams that have multiple top 35 picks that I would consider moving him for if they'd be open to it.

Philly has (7th overall, 26th overall) *Mason locked up for two more years. You never know with this franchise and goalies though

Arizona has (3rd overall, 24th overall, and 32nd overall) *Smith is locked up long term, ARZ is likely not too interest.

Carolina has (5th and 35th overall) *rumour that Ward could be moved, therefor could be looking for a younger netminder

Lacks only real competition for UFA goalies on the market is Ramo, Neimi, and Dubnyk (which I see being resign in MIN so you can cross him off),

Other than that there are a few back up that teams might consider to go after for cheaper (Darling, Lehner, Vasilevskiy, Gibson), but Lack IMO is likely a hot commodity. Young enough to grow with a young core (EDM & BUF) and proven enough to handle the pressure and take a team into the post season, and cheap enough that teams can take him on to replace an experienced vet (Cam Ward).

If Cory can get you a 9th (at the time was thought to be the deepest draft since 2003) and we possibly took less value due to Gillis insisting on trade him out of division + team and cap issues. Then I can see Lack who's got relatively similar AHL stats and slightly worse NHL stats (while playing on a far worse roster) potentially picking up one of those extra first round picks. Buffalo's 21st overall or at worst possibly the oilers 33rd. Question is, do we trade Lack for a 33rd overall pick when Markstrom may be able to fetch us a 55th?

if we wanted buffalo's 21st pick. we might need to give up lack and something else. either a pick going the other way. or a prospect or roster player. it won't be lack alone fetching a late first round pick. though. wouldn't that be something.

Miller to Buffalo for the 21st overall!!! :frantic::frantic::frantic:::D

Seriously, Buffalo I think would be a good trading partner for us for an NHL ready goalie. Edmonton doesn't have a lot of depth for NHL ready goalies and could be willing to make a move.

Even though Arizona has invested in Smith, after his results this year, they may be second guessing that decision and might be interested in more depth and security if he falters again next year.

Nice write up. Not sure if we could pry a 1st away for just either Lack, Markstrom or Miller, but it would be interesting to see what type of deal Benning could swing by adding something else on our side to make everything work.

Miller to Buffalo for the 21st overall!!! :frantic::frantic::frantic: : :D

That makes more sense than I have heard for some time. Canucks might have to throw in something else

to get a deal but Miller back to Buffalo might sell. He probably would retire there. Sabres have a very low CAP because of their youth so Miller's CAP hit is certainly affordable.

Some fans think Lack has serious trade value which I would question. He has serious promise. Enough

promise for me to think moving Miller is workable with Markstrom being given the chance as a backup.

Again I think Van fans over rate the prospect depth and the status of that limited depth. IMHO Van does not have the luxury of not moving a Miller and moving a least two veteran skaters. Failure to do that

will drag out a rebuilding effort that is already overdue.

That makes more sense than I have heard for some time. Canucks might have to throw in something else

to get a deal but Miller back to Buffalo might sell. He probably would retire there. Sabres have a very low CAP because of their youth so Miller's CAP hit is certainly affordable.

Some fans think Lack has serious trade value which I would question. He has serious promise. Enough

promise for me to think moving Miller is workable with Markstrom being given the chance as a backup.

Again I think Van fans over rate the prospect depth and the status of that limited depth. IMHO Van does not have the luxury of not moving a Miller and moving a least two veteran skaters. Failure to do that

will drag out a rebuilding effort that is already overdue.

Miller and Higgins and a 6th for 21st overall?

Not that I want to get rid of Higgins, he has a good cap hit and is generally effective for the spend, but that would provide the youth of Buffalo with some really solid experience to mentor them.

Might really help Buffalo develop a young goalie the way that Miller has undoubtedly helped mentor Lack.

Actually, the market is flooded with goal-tenders.

1. Jimmy Horward

2. Hiller

3. Lack

4. James Riemer

5. Cam Ward

6. Lehner from Ottawa

Sucks, but a goaltender trade will be tough with the market looking like this.

I think Miller is going to be on the market due to cap space, I don't believe that Lack is.

Howard is locked up with Detroit for the next few years, I don't think they are going to jump to move him

Hiller has one more year in Calgary and there's no guarantee that they can resign Ramo

Riemer has one more year and its anyone's guess what the Laughs are doing there.

Ward has another year left in Carolina, they have been talking about making a change there for awhile but nothing has happened

Lehner has one more year in Ottawa and I think they like their depth. Their recent addition will likely get a full year on the farm before he is asked to start playing in the NHL.

That's not to say that there isn't always some available, I think anyone is movable if the deal is right.

I think Miller is going to be on the market due to cap space, I don't believe that Lack is.

Howard is locked up with Detroit for the next few years, I don't think they are going to jump to move him

Hiller has one more year in Calgary and there's no guarantee that they can resign Ramo

Riemer has one more year and its anyone's guess what the Laughs are doing there.

Ward has another year left in Carolina, they have been talking about making a change there for awhile but nothing has happened

Lehner has one more year in Ottawa and I think they like their depth. Their recent addition will likely get a full year on the farm before he is asked to start playing in the NHL.

That's not to say that there isn't always some available, I think anyone is movable if the deal is right.

Dunno which NHL team is going to want Miller for another year, at 6 mil.

Not going to say he was exceptional while here, but I thought he was generally pretty good. Had a few games where he seemed to collapse, but that happens to all goalies.

He has a lot of experience, and I'd never tell you that I think we'd really get a first for him, but I personally think we need to find a way to move him out for cap space. I don't think cap is going to grow this year, the way it was projected to when we signed him.

Hard to make that sell to management who forked over that much money with the expectation that they will make the playoffs. Just because we might sell off some vets doesn't stop the prime idea that we are still trying to be a team to make playoffs and believe it or not Miller got us to that position although Eddie carried the rest of the load.

I just don't see management moving Miller...to me ever since the start of the season I think Eddie Lack is the guy that will be moved.

Markstrom like J.R said has too low a trade value and will definitely get better so no point getting little for something that will blossom sooner rather than later, and Miller is JB's + Management's go to man.

Despite how Markstrom faired in his only 2 games with us this season, I still think he is the better technically sound goalie than Eddie Lack. Lack is too unorthodox in his style that it gets him into trouble a lot.

Lack is not unorthodox, in fact he's quite technical in his movements. Rollie Melanson has Markstrom learning the same type of play (it's laughable that you think Markstrom is the more technical one, as he was lauded for the duration of his career for being a raw athletic talent without guidance technically.) Lack sometimes is too technical in how he plays reserved, compact. Over the duration of the season he seemed to get more and more stretched out because of the odd-man rushes he faced with the fast teams, I think that's what you're thinking of. The reason why they have to be more stretched out is because of their goalie coach. He tells them to play deep in their crease, use their size and rely on reflexes and positioning.

Miller was pretty good this season. Not stellar by any means, but average. At the start of the season the team made him look good, they outscored his... Uncomfortable goaltending. He seemed at odds with himself, the aggressive positioning he had earlier in his career and the deeper crease play that Melanson preaches. Later in the season he settled in though and looked better. Overall I think he's still a starter, but by no means is he much better than Lack, if at all.

Edited by riley57

Just let in 6 goals... Haven't watched the game, but I think this kid's a bust. I'd suggest trading him this summer based on his steller AHL season.

You're not going to get a lot for a 25 year old AHL goaltender, even if they've had a great season overall, maybe a 3rd round pick, which is pretty much nothing. I'd rather see us trading either Lack or Miller, and give Markstrom a chance as a back-up. I wouldn't look too much into 1 bad performance either.

Teams that didnt have a goalie go 28-15-1 or have a goalie with a .650 win percentage. Some people just can't face the fact that without miller we would have had another top 10 pick and would be trading the Sedins, etc if it wasn't for him.

Teams that didnt have a goalie go 28-15-1 or have a goalie with a .650 win percentage. Some people just can't face the fact that without miller we would have had another top 10 pick and would be trading the Sedins, etc if it wasn't for him.

Miller is still a really good goalie. There's nothing wrong with him, he has good attitude and seems to be a really good mentor for younger goalie's. Unless there's a big surprise when then announce the cap for next year (like it goes to 73 million or something), I don't see how we fit everyone in and I think Miller is the most likely guy to go.

Miller is still a really good goalie. There's nothing wrong with him, he has good attitude and seems to be a really good mentor for younger goalie's. Unless there's a big surprise when then announce the cap for next year (like it goes to 73 million or something), I don't see how we fit everyone in and I think Miller is the most likely guy to go.

The mentorship idea sounds good but I suspect the goalies take direction from Melanson. Lack and Miller can be supportive of one another emotionally but I suspect that is it.

The Miller going versus Lack is how Benning views the future. IMHO Van stands to lose to much if they do not deal Miller. One has to wonder how a vet like Miller would take being a Lack backup if Lack had a

long run next season. Another tender issue in Van is what the presstitutes love but I have had enough of that. Maximize the return and move Miller for CAP relief and a focus on the d-core.

6 goals on 23 shots. utica outshot them 2 to 1, including 2 by some guy named Jujhar Khaira

markstrom's mental game is why no matter the size or athleticism he brings, happy-go-lucky lack will always be the right choice.

Edited by 2SKATES1STICK
  • Upvote 1

6 goals on 23 shots. utica outshot them 2 to 1, including 2 by some guy named Jujhar Khaira

markstrom's mental game is why no matter the size or athleticism he brings, happy-go-lucky lack will always be the right choice.

Or.... All goalies have off games.

My favourite goalie of all time, Patrick Roy had bad games that were things of legend :lol:

he's been pretty freakin' good so far tonight

THAT is the sign of a good goalie. The ability to bounce back after a bad game.

People really worry far too much about Markstrom. And Lack for that matter.

Edited by J.R.