The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kassian RFA year

CanucksCaptain

I don't know if I like the idea of a 2 year cheap deal to let him prove himself. He's consistently gotten better every year and really showing his potential this year. I fully expect an even better player next year, if not a full break out.

If like to get him on something like 2.5 for 4 or 2.75-3 for 5 years... Then we got a burrows edler type situation in a year or 2 and he's playing way above his pay grade when we might be peaking again. This gives us free agent load up potential when we gun for the cup again with Horvat shink gaunce all breaking out.

Kassian is a stud in the making. As he develops a more consistant game his value soars. Quite possible he hits 30 points this year even after bouncing around the lineup and losing 15 games to NHL penalties.

Very encouraging to see the young guys like Kassian, Mathias and Yensen being effective. Their size alone is more than impressive

let along their speed and puck handling. Throw Horvat and Guance and Lain in there as well. :)

I do agree Kass looks like an obvious keeper. But he has not shown enough to command $25 or $30 mill.

How you go from 2 years in the 1.7 million range - to where you come up with numbers like 25 or 30 million is a mystery to me.

Has anyone here proposed a 25 or 30 million contract?

Two year bridge, fine, longer term at a slightly higher cap hit, great.

Higgins and Hansen in at 4 years 10 million. Burrows previous 4 years, 8 millon. An RFA bridge contract doesn't really make the future any more of a given 4 or 5 years down the road. Players have to be re-signed regardless. I'd be willing to go 4 or 5 years in the 2.5 range. Not really concerned about it. Reality is that he's easily worth twice his qualifying offer - at least the ridiculous 'fourth line plug' crap on these boards has been put to rest.

How you go from 2 years in the 1.7 million range - to where you come up with numbers like 25 or 30 million is a mystery to me.

Has anyone here proposed a 25 or 30 million contract?

Two year bridge, fine, longer term at a slightly higher cap hit, great.

Higgins and Hansen in at 4 years 10 million. Burrows previous 4 years, 8 millon. An RFA bridge contract doesn't really make the future any more of a given 4 or 5 years down the road. Players have to be re-signed regardless. I'd be willing to go 4 or 5 years in the 2.5 range. Not really concerned about it. Reality is that he's easily worth twice his qualifying offer - at least the ridiculous 'fourth line plug' crap on these boards has been put to rest.

I said he has not earned...

I proposed 2 x 1.7 bridge. Or, based on potential a max deal six years 3.7 to lock him down. Long term. But concluded player should sign the shorter deal. Not said but alluded, short term also better for the team. And I asked your projection.

What is a slightly higher cap hit?

It is good to see Kassian perform well. Now hopefully he can continue to perform at this current level (or do better) for the remainder of the season, and into the playoffs (assuming that that particular long shot pays off).

If nothing else, Kassian ending this season on a high note will hopefully give him a lot of confidence in his abilities, and inspire him to train hard and keep in shape during the off season. This being said, I'm not getting too high on Kassian. I wouldn't be surprised if he cooled off just a bit for a few games, although I would be disappointed. The question will be, assuming Kassian does cool off, in just how many of the remaining games might he be a non-factor?

regards,

G.

I agree.

I especially like his goal in Minny outdueling Coyle. Early in the year I praised him for position play and not being a guy who took risks that hurt his team. But I also observed and posted then that there were times Kass held up on checks, and was not aggressive in puck battles, board battles. There one game say Toronto, then not for 3 or 4 in that regard. It was, in my opinion, why even though he was playing fine that he was not earning top 6 ice time.

Well, that goal in Minny was a puck battle goal! So were two of his 4 assists against the Sabres. A direct result of him winning battles. And its been improving as consistent for about a month and a half, now to a point where he's making an impact on a lot more, if not most, games.

Even if he does not score, I'm quite thrilled with that!

I agree.

I especially like his goal in Minny outdueling Coyle. Early in the year I praised him for position play and not being a guy who took risks that hurt his team. But I also observed and posted then that there were times Kass held up on checks, and was not aggressive in puck battles, board battles. There one game say Toronto, then not for 3 or 4 in that regard. It was, in my opinion, why even though he was playing fine that he was not earning top 6 ice time.

Well, that goal in Minny was a puck battle goal! So were two of his 4 assists against the Sabres. A direct result of him winning battles. And its been improving as consistent for about a month and a half, now to a point where he's making an impact on a lot more, if not most, games.

Even if he does not score, I'm quite thrilled with that!

I think the suspensions have been the mitigating factor in the decrease in his physical play.

I proposed 2 x 1.7 bridge. Or, based on potential a max deal six years 3.7 to lock him down. Long term. But concluded player should sign the shorter deal. Not said but alluded, short term also better for the team. And I asked your projection.

We can't say whether shorter term will be better for the team or not.

A 'bridge' contract is more likely to result in an adjusted market value - that is all.

Taking a gamble and signing longer term for a higher cap hit can go either way - a risk I'd be willing to take with Kassian.

I stated pretty clearly in my last post what I think the longer parameters could look like - at the same time, I think you're getting a bit carried away taking it into the 6 year/over 20+ million range. There is a lot of middle ground between another RFA expiry contract (2yrs x 1.7 or whatever) and 6 years 20+.

I disagree with the fact short term bridge is better for the team. We're all seeing the progression in his play, we know the offense is there and he's growing into a complete player.

I would rather give him the 5 year deal at 2.75-3 now while we're not top contenders. Maybe he hasn't earned 3 million yet but I fully expect him to next year or the following. I don't see this kid peaking yet.. This gives us the room in a couple years to be able to load up with a big name free agent. That is something that will be hard to do if Kassian is coming off a bridge contract and commanding 5 or 6 million as salaries have inflated and he's putting up 60pts.

Burrows and edler playing way above their pay grade helped us big time in previous years.

Bottom line, he'll at least be worth 3 million in a year or 2. So why cash in on the discount now, we're not contenders. We could cash in huge with it following the first couple years when we really need it to rival the top teams.

I think he is worth the gamble, big body playmaker that can skate shoot hit and fight??? A rarity.

Exactly.. The question you have to ask is do you think he'll be worth 3 in 3-5 years. I'd say it's a pretty safe bet.

I think it's a bigger risk he breaks right out and he's worth 5 or 6 in 3-5 years.. That's fine if he's worth it, we'll pay him after the bridge contract.. That being said, it would sure be nice to have 2-4 million in cap space in the years our youth are starting to mature and we're starting to gun for the cup again.

Kassian no longer looks like a shy boy in a man's body. The guy has some serious mojo now did you see his video interview after the Colorado game. He is screaming with confidence, you can see the passion in him. Kassian has been reborn!!! Kassian 2.0 :D

(I mean zero offense by the humble boy part. but seriously!!!)

Go Kassian you may be my new favorite player if you keep bringing that type of intensity and focus into your game. Wonder if he is gaining respect as a leader in the dressing room. One of the new guys taking on a leadership role. Looks like he could be good leadership material if he is like this from now on.

We can't say whether shorter term will be better for the team or not.

A 'bridge' contract is more likely to result in an adjusted market value - that is all.

Taking a gamble and signing longer term for a higher cap hit can go either way - a risk I'd be willing to take with Kassian.

I stated pretty clearly in my last post what I think the longer parameters could look like - at the same time, I think you're getting a bit carried away taking it into the 6 year/over 20+ million range. There is a lot of middle ground between another RFA expiry contract (2yrs x 1.7 or whatever) and 6 years 20+.

I missed the $2.5 mill times 4 part. I would not recommend that if i were his agent. Prob about right based on numbers, upside not taken into account. Kassian will be a more valuable player to us than Higgins, or Hansen who get that now.

Maybe team and player are just probably best with a 2 year deal... Or even one?

I missed the $2.5 mill times 4 part. I would not recommend that if i were his agent. Prob about right based on numbers, upside not taken into account. Kassian will be a more valuable player to us than Higgins, or Hansen who get that now.

Maybe team and player are just probably best with a 2 year deal... Or even one?

Higgins and Hansen are veterans that you always seem to downgrade the value of on these boards.

Higgins has nearly 300 points in the NHL, and is an elite two way tweener. This is his 5th NHL contract - a player who's been a 20/20 guy since he arrived here.

Hansen - likewise - 39 points two seasons ago and 36/82 over the last three years - as a 3rd liner on a team that has been hammered by injuries those years - he himself suffering a couple serious shoulder injuries this year - and nevertheless still on a 15/82 goal pace while imo being underutilized by Tortorella, playing less than 14 minutes 5 on 5, and less than a minute (46 seconds) of pk time per game. One of the headscratchers Tortorella has served up this season. This is also Hansen's 5th NHL contract.

Nothing wrong with those terms for a young Kassian who is just emerging and coming of his first ELC. As for your point, I don't see how you go from talking 6 years 3+ million (now that's something his agent should probably discourage) to suggesting that 4 years at 2.5 isn't enough. I disagree, but regardless, I don't care that much whether it is another RFA expiration deal or a longer term with a slightly higher cap hit.

Zack Kassian

66 gp

13 goals

12 assists

Barely an PP time, and majority of ice on the 3rd/4th line

Cody Hodgson

63 gp

16 goals

20 assists

First line

Plays all offensive situations PP etc

Amazing how the haters never talk about this trade. I for one am not a fan of Gillis, didnt like the timing of the trade when it happened but never once thought Kassian wasnt going to develop into something

Kid is on pace for a 40-45 pt full season from a third line spot....improved defensively, using his body well now, can skate better than Coho, has just as good hands if not better.

And he's only 23...

He should get a bridge, 3 year deal 1.5, 1.75, 2mil

Archived