The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mike Gillis Should Stay

Jiggs50

The worst move Gillis made was trading both Luongo and Schneider those are the only two transactions that eventually led CDC to the Canucks tanking this season

Anyone else have any suggestions on what his worst moves have been with the Canucks....

Hodgson for a project winger when Kes was hurt ,already, and the team needed a 2c.

Ballard -for letting it go on and on and on and on and on and on and on.

Booth-for the $19 m whatever and closing the window on the second line and chances for another cup run.

Never mind he is a multiple head injured victim.

Signing Daniel for another 4 years @ $7m when he has suffered a bad concussion.

Pretty major screw ups.

Very well said .. and totally true IMO .. well written and thought out ..

More like fantasy hockey.

This team is straddling near last in the league in goals scored ,PP,team shooting percentage and GPG.

The team is on track statistically for a 1997 finish-the depths of Canucks hockey nowhere land.

One puck moving d man will help matters but is not fixing a sinking Gilligan's island.

It was a labelled a 'Cinderella run' but in fact the team battled for first in their division

Canucks finished first in the Smythe Division in 1992-1993

Canucks finished SECOND in the Pacific Division in 1993-1994(division names were changed that year).

I'm sorry, but I wouldn't consider being 12 points behind the division leader at a time when there were no OTL points 'Battling' for 1st place. We were 7th in the Western Conference in a division that only produced 3 teams for the playoffs. The team that finished first in our division (Calgary) finished 2nd in the Western Conference. The other two teams finishes 7th and 8th. Our point total was greater than only 2 other teams that made the playoffs in both divisions.

Quinn stayed on one more year -made the playoffs.The team finished second in their division.

In fact,the Canucks made the playoffs EVERY year he was GM of the Canucks.

In 1994-1995 Quinn left -the spiral was Keenan,Messier and the McCaw disaster.

Most of this is just not true.

We did make the playoffs one more year. We were swept in the second round.

Quinn stayed on until 1997. He was fired a couple years after McCaw bought the Canucks.

The Canucks did not make the playoffs multiple years while he was GM. His first season here we didn't make them. His 3rd we didn't. And this was at a time when there were only 21 teams in the league. Only 5 didn't make it to the playoffs. We also didn't make them his last full season here.

PAT QUINN made a number of trades the year of the cup run:

He traded for Jim Vanbiesbrouck,Jimmy Carson,Craig Janney,Jeff Brown,Bret Hedican and Nathan Lafayette.

The year before Quinn acquired Dave Babych,Geoff Courtnall,Cliff Ronning,Sergio Momesso,Tom Kurvers,Gerald Diduck and Robert Dirk.

It should be noted that not only did Quinn manage the club,he also coached the club.

I never denied he made some phenomenal trades. But he also made some horrible ones that crippled us long term.

Martin Gelinas and Kirk Mclean for Sean Burke, Enrico Ciccone and Geoff Sanderson.

Sanderson was the only good player out of that trade and he gave him 9 games before he was traded for Brad May. The other two played a combined 29 games for us.

Courtnall and Tikkanen for Nemchinov and Noonan.

Peca, Wilson and a first Rounder (Mckee) for Mogilny and a 5th.

Not to mention his treatment of the greatest superstar the Canucks have ever had (Pavel Bure), is the reason he wanted out of this city.

He was the coach for 3 of his years here. Not during his full 11 year tenure.

I loved Pat Quinn. He was an incredible coach. He was a good GM, but in my opinion he wasn't our best.

I am a Gillis supporter and realize that he is far from perfect..Some bold moves have turned into bold blunders as well...Maybe some people have an an appetite for a laid back approach (Tambellini)..not me.

Most of his deals I have liked (at the time of the deal)...but at least I can see the reasoning behind his deals..there's always two points of view to every trade

The only thing I did not like about Gillis was when he spoke about Hodgsons issues through the media..he should have kept quiet..That should have been kept internal..Bad lack of judgement there.

Other than that,the teams broken,but ultimately ,I think he's the guy that should be given the opportunity to fix it ..We shall see.

while he was GM. His first season here we didn't make them. His 3rd we didn't. And this was at a time when there were only 21 teams in the league. Only 5 didn't make it to the playoffs. We also didn't make them his last full season here.

McLean was not traded by Quinn, he was gone before Iron Mike traded him. Russ Courtnall was traded because of impending free agency and couldn't agree on a deal. Him and Tikkanen were both near the end of their career anyways and weren't a loss.

I'm not a fan of Gillis either but from the top of my head the only trades he made that really had me going "WTF!?!" were the Kassian/Hodgeson and Schneider trades.

While i'm a huge Luongo fan, the trade made sense for both sides and Matthias has been a pleasant surprise since he started playing for us.

As for acquiring Booth... well how many people actually knew he would turn out the way he did?

And I agree that the prospect pool is kind of weak, but it has IMO been steadily improving over the last few seasons. Give it a few more years.

I think Gillis should get one more season to fix the holes on the team. Only one more.

I'm not a fan of Gillis either but from the top of my head the only trades he made that really had me going "WTF!?!" were the Kassian/Hodgeson and Schneider trades.

While i'm a huge Luongo fan, the trade made sense for both sides and Matthias has been a pleasant surprise since he started playing for us.

As for acquiring Booth... well how many people actually knew he would turn out the way he did?

And I agree that the prospect pool is kind of weak, but it has IMO been steadily improving over the last few seasons. Give it a few more years.

I think Gillis should get one more season to fix the holes on the team. Only one more.

Signing Sundin. Initially was offered $20M over 2 yrs. Good thing he only accepted 1 yr deal and played half season.

Signing Marco Strum

Acquiring Steve Bernier

Acquiring Keith Ballard

Letting Willie Mitchell walk

Letting Raffi Torres walk

Trading Christian Ehroff rights

Letting Sami Salo walk

I am a Gillis supporter and realize that he is far from perfect..Some bold moves have turned into bold blunders as well...Maybe some people have an an appetite for a laid back approach (Tambellini)..not me.

Most of his deals I have liked (at the time of the deal)...but at least I can see the reasoning behind his deals..there's always two points of view to every trade

The only thing I did not like about Gillis was when he spoke about Hodgsons issues through the media..he should have kept quiet..That should have been kept internal..Bad lack of judgement there.

Other than that,the teams broken,but ultimately ,I think he's the guy that should be given the opportunity to fix it ..We shall see.

If the Canucks still had Hodgson it would be more drama, and a tissue soft team. Kassian brings exactly what the team needs, is a team player, and is finally starting to find his way. Good things are on the horizon with this kid. people just need to be a bit more patient

Signing Sundin. Initially was offered $20M over 2 yrs. Good thing he only accepted 1 yr deal and played half season.

Signing Marco Strum

Acquiring Steve Bernier

Acquiring Keith Ballard

Letting Sami Salo walk

If that's your case, it rates pretty low on the excitement meter. None of those are remotely reasons to fire a guy (even if I agreed they were all "bad", which I don't).

Nor do they have more than "a drop of water in the ocean" to do with the abysmal season we''re currently having.

If the Canucks still had Hodgson it would be more drama, and a tissue soft team. Kassian brings exactly what the team needs, is a team player, and is finally starting to find his way. Good things are on the horizon with this kid. people just need to be a bit more patient

Never mind that if we still had him we'd also be shy another ~$3m in depth due to his larger contract with the shrinking cap this past season.

Not only would having Cody here arguably have been no better for the team, it may have actually been worse by impacting our already shaky depth.

If he can trade Kesler and Edler for quality returns, I will have renewed faith in him as a top tier GM.

If God appears in the skies and strikes a ligntning bolt unto all the terrorists of the world, I'll start believing in God.

Skewed perspective at best.

If he can trade Kesler and Edler for quality returns, I will have renewed faith in him as a top tier GM.

The reported offer of Brandon Sutter, and prospects for Kesler isn't quality return. At least ownership had enough intelligence to veto that deal. Teams that were interested at Kesler at deadline were offering pure garbage. It was very wise to hold onto Kesler and not move him for any of the trash being offered in return. Re-visit trading Kesler in summer or at the draft should only increase his trade value.

The way I see it Gillis learned on the job which created more than a few mistakes ! But I think he's got it figured out now, just too bad he made so many damn mistakes with NTC's huge unmovable contracts and treating good guys like crap. If he stops trying to cover over his mistakes with lame excuses and other people as scape goats and focuses on doing his job even better, then we will be just fine.

Torts will be a good thing moving forward unless of course Gillis fires him in an attempt to save face. most likely scenario unless Francesco stops him.

If, Gillis learned anything he will put his nose to the grind stone and give us a better team for next year and continue to think long term, and, Torts stays and develops our current players as well as our kids coming up, then I whole heartedly believe real success is on the horizon

AV was just puttin the pedal to the metal.

Torts is making sure all the bolts are tight first !

Signing Marco Strum

Acquiring Steve Bernier

Acquiring Keith Ballard

Letting Sami Salo walk

Agree about Sundin, Strum, and Bernier

I personally didn't think Ballard would be so bad. Still think AV didn't know how to use him to his potential.

Mitchell suffered from a dangerous concussion. It made sense that Gillis didn't think he'd be as good as he was before the injury, not to mention that it was possibly career ending. Didn't turn out that way but I can understand why Gillis let him walk.

Torres did his job right and protected the team. However his actions were questionable on ice and he creating a bad rep for the team. I would have kept him if it were up to me but just like Mitchell, letting him walk made sense.

Ehrhoff was simply too expensive for what he was worth (even though i liked him). Great puck-moving, shooter... but also had a bad turnover %. Of course in hindsight it would have been a great idea to keep him but we didn't know that at the time.

Salo was an aging glass cannon. Still good but we really don't need him.

I don't think any of these warrant Gillis getting fired.

As was stated, our prospect pool is one of if not the worst in the league.

Not even remotely close. We actually have a pretty good prospect pool especially when you consider where we've largely been drafting in the last 10'ish years. Not sure how this myth manages to continue here, yet I keep seeing people type it.

There's a lot of excitement for a GM like Kekalainen in Columbus, but look how the Gaborik deal worked out for him. It basically ended up as a trade of Brassard, Dorsett, John Moore and a 6th for Frattin, a 2nd and a conditional 3rd. Even good GMs make mistakes.

Archived