The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mike Gillis Should Stay

Jiggs50

was 5.5 unreasonable for erhoff? He just led the canucks PP to #1 in the league and is durable as hell. Also Gillis was part of the reason Luongo wanted out pffff

Durable as hell? He suffered from a shoulder injury in the playoffs which affected his play. I'd say $5.5M for Ehrhoff at that point was likely too much, particularly considering the cap situation and trying to fit everyone in.

Luongo wanted out because of Gillis? Was it Gillis that drafted and added Schneider to the roster when he played well enough to deserve it? Did he spike Schneider's water with steroids to make him play better than Luongo? Did he tell the coaches to make Luongo the backup?

Gillis has done some bad, sometimes really bad. For example the Luongo Saga, Ballard, etc.

Gillis has done some good, sometimes really good. Good UFA Signings, better undrafted rookie signings,etc.

I consider him a decent GM who is getting better with experience. I am okay with MG as GM and also JT as head coach.

I hate the fact that nobody acknowledges the good MG has done as our GM. They always block out GMMG's positives and focus on the negatives he has done.

No, actually I'm not wrong. Why would Gillis get rid of guys like Kesler and the Sedins who were entering their prime? You talk about hindsight, yet in hindsight, I'd still want the Sedins and Kesler. Just because the Sedins are having off years does not automatically mean they can't return to form next season. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they do.

Again, plenty of GMs inherit a core that does well. Gillis isn't some anomaly in this regard. Deal with it. If you didn't mean it as a knock against him, then quit using it like it.

It's you who is ignorant on this, buddy. I never said he was perfect, but Gillis is sure as hell a lot better than you think he is. He helped make this team better. Not Burke and not Nonis. We were middle of the road with Burke and Nonis. Gillis helped us become contenders. He could very well take us back to being contenders.

lol. Wow, a little over-sensitive about your boy Gillis, don't you think? You are wrong. Not all GM's get the kind of core in their prime that Gillis got. Even fewer that do screw it up as much as Gillis has.

He took a Stanley Cup Final team (that got that way by him adding some good pieces) to what it is today in a few short years. A team with zero confidence chock full of top 9 tweeners being relied on to be top 6 offensive players and a bunch of overpaid dmen who have apparently forgotten how to play defense. Plus two rookie goaltenders in place of arguably the best goaltending tandem in the NHL. Not to mention one of the most fragile teams mentally I have seen in awhile. He is not off to a great start rebuilding. Everything he touches lately on the trade front ends up ugly which is one reason.

The Sedins and Kesler are not who I am talking about though. It's all the other pieces and all the other bad decisions. And realistically on paper a true rebuild would mean trading those three guys. Not that I think he should especially with the Sedins. But wow those contracts look horrible right now especially Daniels. He has not been the same since Keith KO'd him with that elbow.

Gillis has not made a single trade in a long time where he ended up the winner. He was lucky to finally get rid of Luongo but as good as Mattias looks he is still a tweener with some potential upside and Markstrom is still a massive question mark. Is our team better situated now for the future? Not really.

And honestly, you need to stop whining about it when people don't think Gillis is a great GM. Because his body of work shows he is average at best. So excuse me for thinking my team deserves better than average as a GM.

lol. Wow, a little over-sensitive about your boy Gillis, don't you think? You are wrong. Not all GM's get the kind of core in their prime that Gillis got. Even fewer that do screw it up as much as Gillis has.

He took a Stanley Cup Final team (that got that way by him adding some good pieces) to what it is today in a few short years. A team with zero confidence chock full of top 9 tweeners being relied on to be top 6 offensive players and a bunch of overpaid dmen who have apparently forgotten how to play defense. Plus two rookie goaltenders in place of arguably the best goaltending tandem in the NHL. Not to mention one of the most fragile teams mentally I have seen in awhile. He is not off to a great start rebuilding. Everything he touches lately on the trade front ends up ugly which is one reason. "We don't have one defenseman with an AAV or cap hit over 5 million. I don't consider all our our D overpayed but I do think we have some under-performing defenseman" "CBA and Luo's contract screwed GMMG over. Teams knew we were forced to move one of our goalies hence why we never got a fair return"

The Sedins and Kesler are not who I am talking about though. It's all the other pieces and all the other bad decisions. And realistically on paper a true rebuild would mean trading those three guys. Not that I think he should especially with the Sedins. But wow those contracts look horrible right now especially Daniels. He has not been the same since Keith KO'd him with that elbow. "Under-performing players are not GMMG's fault. Sedins were signed when they were playing good, like Steen was."

Gillis has not made a single trade in a long time where he ended up the winner. He was lucky to finally get rid of Luongo but as good as Mattias looks he is still a tweener with some potential upside and Markstrom is still a massive question mark. Is our team better situated now for the future? Not really. "I disagree, we are better suited now for the future than we have ever been. Lack looks like he is going to be good. We have another G with solid potential in Markstrom who has played well in the minors in SA and another one in Utica that is Eriksson who is also playing well. Matthias was needed due to our loss of depth at C. Matthias is looking like a good bottom 6 guy, has been one of our best players in recent games. The Luo trade confuses me though, trading your experienced #1 and letting a rookie goalie be the starter is a big rebuilding move and leaves me in speculation for more rebuilding moves."

And honestly, you need to stop whining about it when people don't think Gillis is a great GM. Because his body of work shows he is average at best. So excuse me for thinking my team deserves better than average as a GM.

I think GMMG is a decent GM who is getting better with experience. GMMG has done some bad and some good.

This season I always thought was throw away considering the youth movement was thwarted with youth not being ready. So many wrongs with this season.

Healthy we were an average team at best then the injuries came. In addition to that we had under-performing stars, CGY incident, the loss of confidence and also above all else extremely horrible luck. These things added up don't equal something positive, hence the position we are in now.

This has been an extremely weird year that has hard to explain (we got a top 10 in lowlights for this year by TSN FFS).

My biggest worry now is Edler..

Funny, considering that the only whining has been coming from Gillis haters. I'm not some blind homer. I'm also not blinded by hatred for Gillis, either. He is not perfect, but he is a lot better than people seem to give him credit for.

Luongo never had any problem with Gillis (source..?)...in fact,they were both happy with Louongos contract at the time of the signing..It was the league and the new CBA that hamstrung them both.

Lu actually admitted to the media at the end of the season 2 years ago that he regreted the bogus contract that he agreed to, now Vancouver has to pay a part of his salary until 2022(?) even when he plays for another team.

Funny, considering that the only whining has been coming from Gillis haters. I'm not some blind homer. I'm also not blinded by hatred for Gillis, either. He is not perfect, but he is a lot better than people seem to give him credit for.

The team will likely finish 20th-25th.

Presently ,the fourth worst PP,second worst GPG average and the third worst 'team shooting percentage' ranking in the league.

This was the first place NHL team but three seasons ago.

Lu actually admitted to the media at the end of the season 2 years ago that he regreted the bogus contract that he agreed to, now Vancouver has to pay a part of his salary until 2022(?) even when he plays for another team.

Again, it wasn't a bogus contract at the time. the league had already approved 3-4 such contracts so it was a means for GMs to do what they could to fit good players in under the cap. Luongo realized this was a way he could get paid at his value (he was a top 3 goalie at the time) and had no issues with signing it as much as Gillis had no issues offering it. Ken Holland started the back diving contracts with Zetterberg and Fransen, so it's no different here.

If Gillis had known there would be a future cap recapture penalty put into the CBA and Luongo would get outplayed by his backup and want to be traded at a time when the cap was artificially lowered but have owners of his most likely destination not be able to make a trade pretty much solely due to financial reasons (and have Luongo reportedly block an earlier trade to another team in hopes of getting said destination) then he should be playing the stock market and making money enough to buy his own NHL team.

If Luongo had seem the same scenario coming to play, do you think he would have signed off on said deal either?

I'm really looking forward to next season, Gillis has finally gotten us a stocked prospect cupboard, something previous GM's never could do.

Jensen

Gaunce

Shinkaruk

Fox

Horvat

This years 1st rounder

Grenier

Cassels

Corrado

Hutton

Subban

We got a free 1st rounder with Tanev.

Stanton and Lack for free.

It took a few years but Gillis has gotten this organizations drafting on track.

Sure this season sucks a bit, but overall, MG has done pretty damn well in his time here. Winning record, a game away from a cup, a better prospect pool than when he came here...

I mean, I'd love it if we won a cup this year, won the Hart, the art ross, selke, presidents trophy, etc.... and also had the best prospect pool... but unfortunately, there are 29 other GM's trying to do the exact same thing. He's done better than the vast majority of those other 29 GM's imo.

We essentially have two options with our management situation.

A) We stay the course with our existing management and allow them to learn and build upon past mistakes.

or

B) We bring on a new management team that may experience the same growing pains as our existing team. (Minus the upside we have from our existing management in finding diamonds in the rough and imo their improved drafting).

I personally feel Gillis has made several mistakes the main one being dragging Loungo's name threw the dirt for so long. But he has managed to save some face by shipping him off to his desired destination and bringing back a surprising return given Lou's contract. If the owners of this org want to groom Gillis into a GM like Holland i think he has learned a lot valuable lessons.

Is he the one we need though? I'm not sold on him. but I think he has some great upside and if he learns from his past mistakes I think he will be an above average GM.

He has found some really talented players at little to no cost and has found a way to bring on some key role players.

I guess time will tell.

This is what I keep thinking too.

Theres nothing wrong with wanting a more capable GM.

I have all the time in the world for a GM provided hes actually doing his job effectively. When the team has been deteriorating for this long and to this extent not so much.

I want a change for the simple fact I want the team to improve. Gillis has not proven he is capable of this for a very long time.

Did you even read my comments? I posted what I thought he was good art and not so good at. I am not blindly hating him. He is - IMO - just more suited to be the President of the team handling things like the structure of the organization while not being particularly effective at GM duties.

Gillis was better early on than he is now. He is in fact getting worse as time goes on in terms of everything other than drafting and finding guys like Tanev.

Markstrom and Matthias for Lu was what we wanted 2 years ago. Instead MG was getting offers along the lines of Scrivens and 2 2nds. Face it, MG's patient approach that drives every reactionary fan nuts worked pretty damned well.

Tanev, Fox, Lack, Santo, Richardson, Stanton all cost us nothing and many of those signings were made since last July. Cassels, Subban and Cederholm are already doing far better than their draft positions would imply. Even his past draft picks, which people were losing interest in (like Grenier, Lain, Archibald and Jensen) have progressed impressively. MG and LG busted their asses to set up Utica, and in the same offseason that all of those excellent signings mentioned above were made.

I can't think of an area to complain about aside from mixed reviews about the coaching staff (who more recently seem to be fixing a lot of the old systems' problems). The guy has done everything, and in a very short span. Who else is doing better?

Markstrom and Matthias for Lu was what we wanted 2 years ago. Instead MG was getting offers along the lines of Scrivens and 2 2nds. Face it, MG's patient approach that drives every reactionary fan nuts worked pretty damned well.

Tanev, Fox, Lack, Santo, Richardson, Stanton all cost us nothing and many of those signings were made since last July. Cassels, Subban and Cederholm are already doing far better than their draft positions would imply. Even his past draft picks, which people were losing interest in (like Grenier, Lain, Archibald and Jensen) have progressed impressively. MG and LG busted their asses to set up Utica, and in the same offseason that all of those excellent signings mentioned above were made.

I can't think of an area to complain about aside from mixed reviews about the coaching staff (who more recently seem to be fixing a lot of the old systems' problems). The guy has done everything, and in a very short span. Who else is doing better?

lol really? You do not see a single other GM in the NHL doing a better job than Gillis?

You do know that Markstrom's stock as a top can't miss prospect was a lot higher two years ago right? Injuries and inconsistency have made him a question mark at best. Even our own team has no confidence in him apparently. And you do know that he is apparently on a one way contract next season so Tallon traded him rather than commit to him to be in Florida all season. Shows what Tallon thought of him,

And you do realize that Scrivens and 2 2nds is better than Mattias and Markstrom, right?

And as I said above, Gillis ONLY saving grace as a GM has been his drafting and his behind the scenes organizational work like Utica.

Unfortunately for us he sucks pretty bad at trading and overpays/gives out NTC like candy an awful lot too. He has taken us from an offensive dynamo to a team of pluggers in a few years.

lol really? You do not see a single other GM in the NHL doing a better job than Gillis?

You do know that Markstrom's stock as a top can't miss prospect was a lot higher two years ago right? Injuries and inconsistency have made him a question mark at best. Even our own team has no confidence in him apparently.

And you do realize that Scrivens and 2 2nds is better than Mattias and Markstrom, right?

Did you really just say Scrivens and 2 2nds > Matthias and Markstrom? Wow. We would've ended up flipping one of those 2nds for Clowe who we would've lost to free agency, so it really would've been Luongo for Scrivens and a 2nd and anyone with a brain knows that's a laughable offer. Markstrom has more potential than Scrivens and Matthias gives Florida's offer the clear advantage over Toronto's.

Archived