The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

11 hours ago, shiznak said:

I’d rather have Ray, tbh. But I guess his asking price is way too much.

They're the same age, so RR must either be looking for a lot more money, or a lot more term....

5 years for a 30 year old is about as much as I'd want to go at 22 mil per....

5 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Looks like the Rangers are going for it.

First they land Marcus Semien and now there are reports that they have agreed to a contract with Corey Seager for 10 years and 325 million....:blink:

That's a spicy meatball!

So, does Semien end up back at 2nd again?  Doh!

5 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Hard to believe that the Jays wouldn't have given him that deal....maybe he didn't want to stay? :unsure:

I figure the Jays may have offered something similar to Ray but didn't want to risk waiting for him to decide and losing out on both him and Gausman so they went hard after Gausman.

Either way, Gausman + the compensation pick is pretty good all things considered. Thinking more about it, the Jays probably valued that comp pick they got for letting Ray sign elsewhere enough that they felt comfortable replacing him with Gausman. Ray apparently also has an opt-out after year 3 of his contract.

Edited by Brad Marchand
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Brad Marchand said:

I figure the Jays may have offered something similar to Ray but didn't want to risk waiting for him to decide and losing out on both him and Gausman so they went hard after Gausman.

Either way, Gausman + the compensation pick is pretty good all things considered. Thinking more about it, the Jays probably valued that comp pick they got for letting Ray sign elsewhere enough that they felt comfortable replacing him with Gausman. Ray apparently also has an opt-out after year 3 of his contract.

You hit the nail on the head Brad....

Steve Phillips was on TSN last night and said exactly that. Apparently Ray's camp had indicated they wanted to wait to make their decision and the Jays decided they had to pull the trigger on the Gausman deal, or risk losing out on both. According to Phillips, Ray was their first choice, but Gausman was a very close second, so they feel like they accomplished what they set out to do, which was to sign a front of the rotation guy.

On a side note, Gausman's split finger fastball was statistically the best pitch in baseball, getting more swings and misses (over 270) than any other pitch by any other pitcher. Excited to see him take the mound for the Jays....

• Thanks 1