The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

Why is Hendriks still pitching? Wtf is wrong with Gibbons

I would prefer they left starters in longer. Today was a case where the pulled Estrada mostly because he hit the 100 pitch mark. I know it is only one more inning but I want to see our starters go 7, Sanchez for the 8th and Osuna for the 9th and try to stick to that. I know it is the 90s way but Estrada was pitching well and to pull him for pitch count reasons only to have the pen blow it kinda sucks.

I would prefer they left starters in longer. Today was a case where the pulled Estrada mostly because he hit the 100 pitch mark. I know it is only one more inning but I want to see our starters go 7, Sanchez for the 8th and Osuna for the 9th and try to stick to that. I know it is the 90s way but Estrada was pitching well and to pull him for pitch count reasons only to have the pen blow it kinda sucks.

This pitch count thing is out of hand..I dont know if its because pitchers throw harder these days but I recall fireballers going 9 on a regular basis.

This pitch count thing is out of hand..I dont know if its because pitchers throw harder these days but I recall fireballers going 9 on a regular basis.

I agree Shaky, Bob Gibson, Sandy Koufax, Don Drysdale, Whitey Ford, to name a few, were all guys I remember throwing 9 regularly. The first three were fireballers. I think too many of them are micro managed, plus there seems to be too many arm injuries now. Are they throwing harder too often, over a shorter amount of innings?

I agree Shaky, Bob Gibson, Sandy Koufax, Don Drysdale, Whitey Ford, to name a few, were all guys I remember throwing 9 regularly. The first three were fireballers. I think too many of them are micro managed, plus there seems to be too many arm injuries now. Are they throwing harder too often, over a shorter amount of innings?

There is some merit to the idea of stressful innings vs non-stressful innings but like all arguments, there is two sides. Perhaps the reason is owners want to protect their assets but arm injuries, specifically ULC tears, haven't come down since pitch counts have been more scrutinized.

My personal opinion is that over-training and the science diet fed to athletes has produced weaker athletes. I have zero written evidence of this on my own but it makes sense to me. Pro athletes spend their whole summer training at a high level and never really get any significant rest. As many of you will know, if you work hard all the time, you eventually break down. On top of that, if you are eating a diet conducive to your training goal, you can bet it's a bunch of shakes, supplements, etc aka the Science Diet with all kinds of crazy rules like you have to eat this at 1pm exactly or no eating this or that once the sun goes down etc etc. While hard training and a supplemented diet will produce physical specimens, it certainly hasn't cut down on injury frequency.

Again all just observation and musing but I certainly think there is more to it than uh oh, i'm at 100 pitches, pull me coach or my arm will fall off tomorrow.

Edited by RonMexico

This was talked about earlier in the thread. One key reason I think contributes to it is the possibility of arm injuries, and I think a big reason we see an increase in arm injuries is the greater stress put on the pitcher's arms through their youth. When Bob Gibson was a kid, I doubt he played baseball year round. Spring and summer yeah, but he probably played football or basketball otherwise. Nowadays, kids who aspire to be high level athletes are committing themselves to the sport much younger and therefore are throwing a heck of a lot more through their teen years (when their bodies are a little more fragile to boot). These numbers are just made up, but imagine Gibson threw something like 1000 pitches through his teen years, and kids nowadays are probably throwing double that.

I still think Revere should be the lead off over Tulo. Tulo isn't a lead off batter that's not his approach, he was never a lead off player why put him in a position he never was before and obviously it's playing with him. Revere on the other hand knows how to make a pitcher work, and the guy has speed. Just move everyone back 1 spot and take the pressure of Tulo, so he can go up there swinging at his pitches.

The only other problem is Pennington this guy blows, get him out of there, someone from the Canadians could be a better option at this point.

This was talked about earlier in the thread. One key reason I think contributes to it is the possibility of arm injuries, and I think a big reason we see an increase in arm injuries is the greater stress put on the pitcher's arms through their youth. When Bob Gibson was a kid, I doubt he played baseball year round. Spring and summer yeah, but he probably played football or basketball otherwise. Nowadays, kids who aspire to be high level athletes are committing themselves to the sport much younger and therefore are throwing a heck of a lot more through their teen years (when their bodies are a little more fragile to boot). These numbers are just made up, but imagine Gibson threw something like 1000 pitches through his teen years, and kids nowadays are probably throwing double that

yep..Im pretty sure its to do with arm injuries..you seldom see a pitcher go 9 anymore..I yearn for the old days.

I still think Revere should be the lead off over Tulo. Tulo isn't a lead off batter that's not his approach, he was never a lead off player why put him in a position he never was before and obviously it's playing with him. Revere on the other hand knows how to make a pitcher work, and the guy has speed. Just move everyone back 1 spot and take the pressure of Tulo, so he can go up there swinging at his pitches.

The only other problem is Pennington this guy blows, get him out of there, someone from the Canadians could be a better option at this point.

Have to agree with all of this..why get Pennington when Goins and Kawasaki are around, a useless pickup in my estimation...but Im not complaining right now.

Edited by ShakyWalton

Have to agree with all of this..why get Pennington when Goins and Kawasaki are around, a useless pickup in my estimation...but Im not complaining right now.

Pennington > Kawasaki is why.

I minor move, I know, but still an improvement.

Pennington > Kawasaki is why.

I minor move, I know, but still an improvement.

Not much..Kawasaki was an exuberant force on the team..loved by fans and team mates..he was a slap hitter but got on base..Pennington is nothing to write home about. Kawasaki had a great game and then demoted when travis came back..I fear they have gone to the well once to often with Muni.