The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

12 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

I've been kind of obsessed with keeping track of pitch counts. Last summer it seemed like once JB and Donaldson had seen around 60 pitches a HR/double was almost automatic. 

Interesting. Do you have [sortable] Excel spreadsheets of this? When I hear "obsessed" about data Excel is the first thing that comes to mind. What about when you add EE to the mix?

Somewhat tangential question about pitch counts: was Osuna given the day off today? He only pitched 1 inning (I think) yesterday and none the day before. Was surprised to see he didn't close today is all, and only the 1 appearance over 3 days. 

Probably nothing, just curious.

8 hours ago, Green Building said:

Somewhat tangential question about pitch counts: was Osuna given the day off today? He only pitched 1 inning (I think) yesterday and none the day before. Was surprised to see he didn't close today is all, and only the 1 appearance over 3 days. 

Heard it was just rest.  We're all pretty used to the relievers only go 3 days in a row.  Perhaps there is a longer view rule like 5 times in 7 days?

• Upvote 1

I like Bautista as a ball player, but really think he needs to shut his mouth over this Odor stuff. Incident happened a couple weeks ago and he keeps bringing it up. Talked today about how he thinks Odor's throw to first was intentionally aimed at his head. Need to get the head wrapped around winning and using June as a springboard the way the Jays took off last year.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Down by the River said:

I like Bautista as a ball player, but really think he needs to shut his mouth over this Odor stuff. Incident happened a couple weeks ago and he keeps bringing it up. Talked today about how he thinks Odor's throw to first was intentionally aimed at his head. Need to get the head wrapped around winning and using June as a springboard the way the Jays took off last year.

Prior to the incident, who had even heard of Odor.

Looks like the Jays are adding some bullpen help:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/report-blue-jays-close-acquiring-jason-grilli-braves/

The Toronto Blue Jays are on the verge of adding a veteran arm to their under-performing bullpen.

The Blue Jays will acquire 39-year-old right-hander Jason Grilli from theAtlanta Braves, Mike Wilner of Sportsnet 590 The FAN confirmed Tuesday.

Grilli has a long track record as an above-average reliever, but he has struggled in 2016. In 21 games for the Braves he has 23 strikeouts and two saves in 17 innings. However, he has walked 13, allowed two homers and posted a 5.29 ERA.

He’ll join a Blue Jays bullpen that ranks 16th in baseball with a 3.89 ERA. Toronto’s relievers have allowed 41 per cent of inherited runners to score, which ranks 28th among the 30 MLB teams.

Grilli earns $3.5 million in 2016, the second year of a two-year, $8 million contract he signed after the 2014 season. Depending on the terms of the proposed trade, the Braves could be absorbing considerable salary. His contract also includes a club option for 2017 with a $250,000 buyout.

The fourth overall pick in the 1997 draft, Grilli initially broke in as a starter with the Florida Marlins in 1997. He later transitioned to the bullpen, where he enjoyed a late-career breakout with the Pittsburgh Pirates. From 2011-13, Grilli posted a 2.74 ERA with 201 strikeouts and 50 walks in 141.1 innings of relief with the Pirates, earning an All-Star berth in 2013.

Robert Murray, who first reported the deal Tuesday, reported that pitching prospect Sean Ratcliffe will join the Braves in the deal. Ratcliffe, a 21-year-old right-hander who was initially selected in the 18th round of the 2013 draft, posted a 3.60 ERA for the Blue Jays’ Class A Lansing affiliate last year.

A fairly low risk deal for the Jays. A guy with an ERA of 3.60 in A ball is not likely to become an impact major leaguer. Hopefully Grilli can regain his pre-2016 form.

4 minutes ago, the last outlaw said:

Why does Sharpio keep going after these mediocre bullpen pitchers. Sounds like it's going to be another Storen.

I am no defender of Shapiro (not that I hate him, just don't have an opinion), but AA traded away a lot of assets (I'm fine with that), meaning that there is not a lot left in the cupboard to land a sure-thing for the bullpen.

4 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

I am no defender of Shapiro (not that I hate him, just don't have an opinion), but AA traded away a lot of assets (I'm fine with that), meaning that there is not a lot left in the cupboard to land a sure-thing for the bullpen.

I know. All the pitchers Sharpio acquired in off-season have been total crap with exception of Happ.

45 minutes ago, the last outlaw said:

Why does Sharpio keep going after these mediocre bullpen pitchers. Sounds like it's going to be another Storen.

Grilli has been a very good relief pitcher for a long time now, sure he's not what he used to be but I wouldn't call him mediocre.

He sure as heck can't be any worse then what we have had in the late innings recently (with the exception of Osuna).

Batista says he'd "be stupid to leave" Toronto. It has nothing to do with him wanting to leave but rather ownership being cheap. Sharpio has no interest in keeping him or EE. Jays will make low balls offer (they have to EE) to keep face and show the fan base they tried to keep them.

18 hours ago, Green Building said:

Interesting. Do you have [sortable] Excel spreadsheets of this? When I hear "obsessed" about data Excel is the first thing that comes to mind. What about when you add EE to the mix?

I should make a stat tracker like in the prospects forum. I mostly just watch the mlb.com gamecentre page (http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2016_05_31_nyamlb_tormlb_1#game=2016_05_31_nyamlb_tormlb_1,game_state=Live) simultaneous to watching the game on TV

I used to get frustrated watching EE because some days he'd be extremely patient and others he'd be very aggressive. The thing is, he can have success both ways. To me he is like a wild card. I don't think you get too worried about EE having a .250 avg. He keeps pitchers guessing a lot and I think that throws off a rhythm. 

Colabello was the worst when it came to driving up pitch counts. When Martin struggles, he seems to really fight at pitches instead of taking them and thus does poorly at getting the pitch count up. 

Not that I'm the expert, but what I wanted from the Jays batting 7-9 was an ability to take pitches/eat up the pitch count so that Donaldson and Bautista had opportunities to see what the pitcher was doing. Those two don't just chill in the dugout and wait for their turn, they're real students. You need 7-9 in the order to provide them with the material.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Green Building said:

Pitches_zpsv1iwhunf.png

I'm going to play with the formatting, but interested to know opinions about other stats to collect. This is for today's game versus NYY but I'll keep aggregating the stats across as many games as I can. 

The 60 pitch count is slightly arbitrary but I had to pick a cutpoint. The 60s pitches is also not 'total pitches seen in a game' but rather total pitches seen from the starting pitcher.

34 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

I'm going to play with the formatting, but interested to know opinions about other stats to collect. This is for today's game versus NYY but I'll keep aggregating the stats across as many games as I can. 

The 60 pitch count is slightly arbitrary but I had to pick a cutpoint. The 60s pitches is also not 'total pitches seen in a game' but rather total pitches seen from the starting pitcher.

I'll be peeking at any stats you post, especially as the sample size grows. I tend to rely on the broadcast for the most pertinent stats, but obviously many many more go unnoticed as a result.

This is certainly old news as it's been happening for a number of years now, but the amount of aggressive shifting of the field is borderline comical at times, but when it yields the out it just looks as routine as any play.

Re: Colabello

It definitely takes a confident batter to stand there unshook toward 2 strikes in an attempt to drive the pitch count up. I was under the impression he was in the lineup more for his defense anyways. I (foolishly) quit ball when I was 17, but took pride in forcing the pitcher to throw every extra pitch possible, and played on some teams where the whole lineup felt the same. It was nice to see the Jays doing that so well last year, and do it the odd time here and there again this year.

Not sure if I'd say I'm confident in the Blue Jays enough to say they'll make a post season push, but it doesn't seem like the season is wasting away on them anymore.  Does that mean a 4 game sweep versus TB is coming up soon?

2 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Not sure if I'd say I'm confident in the Blue Jays enough to say they'll make a post season push, but it doesn't seem like the season is wasting away on them anymore.  Does that mean a 4 game sweep versus TB is coming up soon?

I've said all along, if Tulo gets hot and Travis comes back the jays will start winning again, and right now they are doing it without Tulo in the lineup. 

Long story short I'm much more confident in them then I was a few weeks ago.