The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

9 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

No Travis won't provide that level of defence but its his timely hits that make him more valuable even with the downgrade on the defensive side. I think we'll see Goins or Barney sent down and we go with Tulo and Travis with Barney (my guess he stays) coming in for Travis late in games as a defensive sub.

yep..Travis will need the reps so he probably will be playing rather than sitting...I think that move comes soon..they were saying today that Loup is ready...which really doesnt thrill me....that bullpen is forgetable.

14 hours ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

Yeah now that you've noticed it you'll probably notice it a lot more. Speaking from experience it can definitely screw with your head as a hitter. Catchers will sometimes just tell the hitter what pitch is coming. Sometimes he's lying, sometimes he's telling the truth. But definitely gets in your head as a hitter.

Actually, I see it pretty often.

Last night was one of those times where the camera was zoomed in on Martin giving signs and it was more obvious than usual. I thought some people might appreciate the strategy, if they're not all that familiar with the nuances of the game.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Last night was one of those times where the camera was zoomed in on Martin giving signs and it was more obvious than usual. I thought some people might appreciate the strategy, if they're not all that familiar with the nuances of the game.

They talked about it on the broadcast, but as more of a newcomer, my impression was simply that the two were not on the same page regarding what pitch Osuna was comfortable with in that position. It is nice to get that extra insight to see how they can play games with the batter. 

3 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

They talked about it on the broadcast, but as more of a newcomer, my impression was simply that the two were not on the same page regarding what pitch Osuna was comfortable with in that position. It is nice to get that extra insight to see how they can play games with the batter. 

It's fairly common for a pitcher to shake off the catcher. As the guy throwing, he has the final say on what pitch he is comfortable with. Generally however, with a guy as young as Osuna, the pitcher will defer to a veteran catcher like Martin. He's been figuring out how to get batters out for a long time, much longer than Osuna.

In this particular case, I think the two of them talked about it in advance. We saw Martin put down the three fingers, calling for the slider. (In this case, the slider being Osuna's third pitch, with the fastball being #1 and the changup being #2) Osuna shakes him off, Russell immediately puts three fingers down again and Osuna nods and throws the slider.

It seemed pretty obvious to me that it was something they had discussed previously....

12 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Ah I read that as being the first time you had noticed. Yeah the game really gets interesting when you start to learn about the game within the game. It's boring to somebody unfamiliar because they just see everything at face value. A ball in the dirt or slightly up is just a bad pitch to them, when it could have been a set-up pitch. "The thinking man's game" is a fitting name.

49 minutes ago, numb3r 16 said:

Tulo is out 

must have come back to early yesterday and made it worse..now he is on the 15 day DL....Loup has been activated,,another lefty in the pen and Im sure we will dump on when he starts blowing leads.

1 hour ago, Down by the River said:

Not that having Tulo out is a positive, but if there is a silver lining, its that there will be more of an opportunity to evaluate the Travis/Goins/Barney logjam.

There is that...makes me think that it was a little contrived putting Tulo on the DL..he probably could use the rest to reset and it gives the Jays more time to axe one of those 3..which was supposed to happen today...I think they thought if we drop one and Tulo is out ..then what.

I also think the logjam is Goins/Barney..Im pretty sure they are keeping Travis at 2nd.

Edited by ShakyWalton

8 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

Pillar and Saunders keep hitting lights out in the bottom of the order and then get thrown into lead-off/clean-up and can't hit anything. 

agreed..Saunders was hitting about 320 when moved into cleanup...he is falling like a rock..probably about 280 now.