The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

9 hours ago, Pears said:

Wait, why didn't we get Buck for our two series but he's doing the World Series?

Fox and TBS alternate who gets the AL and NL playoffs every year, last year fox had al this year fox had no. 

Speaking of Joe Buck, I go on Twitter and everyone hates him..why? He is by far my favourite commentator, I'll watch any game he is calling. 

8 hours ago, Xbox said:

It all depends how much Rogers allows them to spend. These guys just play with the cards they're dealt. 

During his end of the season press conference, Atkins said he wants to bump the payroll up to 170-180M, which puts them just outside of the top 5 payroll in baseball. Whether or not Rogers allows them to do that, is a different question. Although, it shouldn't be a tough sell to them, just look at the total attendance record this season, ranked 3rd highest amongst the league. Really, all he has to say is, "if you build a good team, they will come.".

Edited by shiznak
  • Upvote 2

17 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Do you remember when Revere joined the Jays last year, he wasn't batting lead off and his numbers were brutal, he was batting in the 7th and 8th holes same as Upton. Difference is Gibbons finally budged and put Revere lead off and removed Tulo which was a disaster, anyways Revere was able to excel at lead off because that is his position. Point here is Upton was never given that opportunity so we never got to see, being a lead off and being a 7th or 8th batter are complete different approaches. Both Revere and Upton failed at being a 7th and 8th batter, but only one of them was given the opportunity to be in their position. Really believe Upton's numbers would of been different if he was put in his lead off position, because he knows the approach of being a lead off, we just never got to see it unfortunately.

There are quite a few differences between Revere and Upton.

Revere is a true lead off hitter, while Upton is not. Upton hasn't had an OBP over .300 since 2011 and his strikeout rate has been around 30%. Revere, OTOH hadn't dipped below .300 OBP since his rookie year of 2010. He also strikes out far less than Upton, about once in every 10 AB, over his MLB career.

Finally, Revere didn't start hitting last season because he was placed in the lead off spot, his hitting came around before he was put at the top of the order. Like a lot of guys, (Tulo included) there was a period of adjustment for a player coming from one league to the other.

There a plenty of reason s to criticize Gibby this past season, but not leading off Upton is an extremely poor one. You don't stick a guy hitting .196 in the leadoff spot in the hopes that it will bring his bat around, especially is the midst of a playoff run.

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, shiznak said:

During his end of the season press conference, Atkins said he wants to bump the payroll up to 170-180M, which puts them just outside of the top 5 payroll in baseball. Whether or not Rogers allows them to do that, is a different question. Although, it shouldn't be a tough sell to them, just look at the total attendance record this season, ranked 3rd highest amongst the league. Really, all he has to say is, "if you build a good team, they will come.".

Those two could run a dynasty with that payroll. Team would be absolutely filthy for years.

5 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

There are quite a few differences between Revere and Upton.

Revere is a true lead off hitter, while Upton is not. Upton hasn't had an OBP over .300 since 2011 and his strikeout rate has been around 30%. Revere, OTOH hadn't dipped below .300 OBP since his rookie year of 2010. He also strikes out far less than Upton, about once in every 10 AB, over his MLB career.

Finally, Revere didn't start hitting last season because he was placed in the lead off spot, his hitting came around before he was put at the top of the order. Like a lot of guys, (Tulo included) there was a period of adjustment for a player coming from one league to the other.

There a plenty of reason s to criticize Gibby this past season, but not leading off Upton is an extremely poor one. You don't stick a guy hitting .196 in the leadoff spot in the hopes that it will bring his bat around, especially is the midst of a playoff run.

To not even give the guy a chance at lead off a CHANCE just to see is a sad excuse. Upton in 12 years has a career OBP of .321, Revere in 7 years has a career OBP of .320. Technically going by stats Upton has a better OBP, but why bother putting him as lead off because he obviously isn't good at getting on base.... 

Of course I'd rather have Revere then Upton, but Upton should of been utilized in the lead off role just to at least see if he could be capable of doing it. Bautista is better for driving in runs imo, why have him lead off and waste that power just so he can walk, but he can't even be a threat on the bases is ridiculous.

Upton ended the season batting .196 but when he came here he was batting .256. To me that looks like he wasn't utilized properly, and the numbers show that. Maybe if he was put into his proper position he would of got that confidence back and performed to the level he's known for. 

Look at Revere's stats this year and not being utilized properly, OBP .260 and a batting avg of .217, his worst season ever, his rookie year was 13 games so I'm not counting that. When you take players out of their normal roles they struggle, and Revere did that this year because he wasn't their lead off.

I strongly feel Upton went through this exact same thing with the Jays, all I wanted was a chance to see. With all the struggles the Jays were having in September it wasn't like they were winning games, so it would of been the perfect time to try him in lead off but it never happened and we continued to lose. 

2 hours ago, CANUCK-EXPRESS said:

Good that management gave arbitration to Jose and Edwin. If both don't sign we get compensation picks in the first round draft.

I think they will go all in on Edwin...beats any free agent out there...on another note...strange Buck is doing colour for the WS..isnt he signed for Rogers/Sportsnet....Im not complaining though.

8 hours ago, Xbox said:

Those two could run a dynasty with that payroll. Team would be absolutely filthy for years.

i dunno

jays payroll for the 2016 season was 159 million

and that was with edwin and jose on very friendly contracts

even with a needed payroll bump next season i do not really see much additional cash

dickey leaving helps and he can be replaced more cheaply

bautista is unlikely to come back, but his replace will likely cost close to what he was paid in 2016

we have contracts in place that contain raises, donaldson being one example

if edwin is resigned he eats up the $10 million or so of the additional payroll bump

18 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

To not even give the guy a chance at lead off a CHANCE just to see is a sad excuse. Upton in 12 years has a career OBP of .321, Revere in 7 years has a career OBP of .320. Technically going by stats Upton has a better OBP, but why bother putting him as lead off because he obviously isn't good at getting on base.... 

Of course I'd rather have Revere then Upton, but Upton should of been utilized in the lead off role just to at least see if he could be capable of doing it. Bautista is better for driving in runs imo, why have him lead off and waste that power just so he can walk, but he can't even be a threat on the bases is ridiculous.

Upton ended the season batting .196 but when he came here he was batting .256. To me that looks like he wasn't utilized properly, and the numbers show that. Maybe if he was put into his proper position he would of got that confidence back and performed to the level he's known for. 

Look at Revere's stats this year and not being utilized properly, OBP .260 and a batting avg of .217, his worst season ever, his rookie year was 13 games so I'm not counting that. When you take players out of their normal roles they struggle, and Revere did that this year because he wasn't their lead off.

I strongly feel Upton went through this exact same thing with the Jays, all I wanted was a chance to see. With all the struggles the Jays were having in September it wasn't like they were winning games, so it would of been the perfect time to try him in lead off but it never happened and we continued to lose. 

For the most part I respect your opinion Chuck, but in this case we're going to have to agree to disagree.

Not every poor season is a result of misuse by the manager. Sometimes players just go through slumps. In this case, Upton was going through a slump, something which is very common when players move from one league to the other. The Jays were in the midst of trying to make it to the postseason, something they weren't able to clinch until the final week of the season.

They simply could not afford the luxury of trying to let Upton work his way out of a slump while batting lead off. With a team that was struggling to score runs down the stretch, a guy hitting below the Mendoza line in the lead off spot could easily have cost the Jays a playoff position.

Again, I think you're letting your dislike of Gibby cloud your vision.

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

For the most part I respect your opinion Chuck, but in this case we're going to have to agree to disagree.

Not every poor season is a result of misuse by the manager. Sometimes players just go through slumps. In this case, Upton was going through a slump, something which is very common when players move from one league to the other. The Jays were in the midst of trying to make it to the postseason, something they weren't able to clinch until the final week of the season.

They simply could not afford the luxury of trying to let Upton work his way out of a slump while batting lead off. With a team that was struggling to score runs down the stretch, a guy hitting below the Mendoza line in the lead off spot could easily have cost the Jays a playoff position.

Again, I think you're letting your dislike of Gibby cloud your vision.

I totally see your logic regarding the situation, and I understand he was in a slump and I also believe not playing everyday is very hard to get out of a slump.

As you have stated we will have to agree to disagree, I still think he should of been given minimum 1 game as lead off to at least see. Yes they were trying to make it to the post season but they weren't winning, so if anything it was the perfect time to change things up imo.

No I don't think it's all because of my dislike for Gibby, it could of been any manager tbh. But if he had been lead off and it didn't work then I would have no argument, it's just I Strongly believe he should of been given at least 1 game to just see.

The way the team was playing nothing was working, and we needed to get runs what better way then to have a guy who's been lead off before, who has speed can be a threat on the bases. His approach would of been different because he knows he's not in a position to be forced to drive in runs, but be in a position to just get on base. Maybe he wouldn't of been swinging at everything, maybe he would of played a bunt down more, these are all different approaches as a lead off compared to a guy in the 7th or 8th hole who's job is to drive in runs.

People who know me here will know I'm a big Vladimir Guerrero Jr. supporter. He started the year off slow this year, but picked it up half way through. I see good things for this kid he's going to be a Power hitter exciting, anyways read this yesterday.

Vladimir Guerrero Jr. earns high praise from Baseball America rankings

Rarely has a Toronto Blue Jays positional prospect generated the level of hype that Vladimir Guerrero Jr. has after one pro season. Especially at just 17 years old.

Debuting with the Bluefield Blue Jays, Guerrero was one of the league’s best players at his level despite being over three years younger than his average competitor. Early Wednesday, Baseball America named Vladimir Guerrero Jr. their number one Blue Jays prospect.

“Guerrero covers the plate well and should be an above-average hitter with 30-plus homer potential down the line,” writes John Manuel. “Some club officials have compared his overall offensive profile to that of Edwin Encarnacion, though with more speed, as he’s actually an average runner.”

With Bluefield, Guerrero put up a slash line of .271 / .359 / .449 with eight home runs and 46 RBI in just 62 games. He also surprised with 15 stolen bases — not something that will develop into a 30-30 MLB season by any means, but again, it’s indicative of his athleticism.

http://jaysjournal.com/2016/10/26/vladimir-guerrero-jr-earns-high-praise-baseball-america/

• Upvote 1