The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Confirmed] Jim Benning signs as new Canucks GM

TheRussianRocket.

It's seeming like this isn't going to happen until after the draft, which really sucks. I don't want our scouts and gilman deciding who gets picked at the draft. Someone not afraid to take a chance needs to be calling the shots.

Okay, I'll bite. What do you mean by "Someone not afraid to take a chance..."? I'm assuming you don't mean that the team should go off the board and draft another Patrick White. :)

regards,

G.

I dont do drugs. Never!

I think we to get cherry and jon stevens for gm and coach

Maybe some Ritalin would be an idea....

So who will be drafting for our team? Linden? I don't think its a good idea to do drafts before hiring the new GM. We have to sign him before the draft so the new GM could get to work right away in rebuilding this team.

I think Absent has the right of it.

The scouts huddle with Trevor and Gilman and come up with a plan. Even if there were a new guy in place, he would be relying heavily on current Canucks' management and scouting anyway,

As to who goes up to the podium and announces the picks, it's not all that important. For example, the drafting of Jordan Schroeder was announced by Roberto Luongo, who being of Italian descent and not German, managed to mispronounce Jordan's last name.

Okay, I'll bite. What do you mean by "Someone not afraid to take a chance..."? I'm assuming you don't mean that the team should go off the board and draft another Patrick White. :)

regards,

G.

No, I mean i'm tired of not drafting Russians when they are by far the best player available because they are Russians. I want someone who is going to draft the most skilled player available regardless of size or country they represent.

No, I mean i'm tired of not drafting Russians when they are by far the best player available because they are Russians. I want someone who is going to draft the most skilled player available regardless of size or country they represent.

I agree, but you do need to be cognizant that your pick jump ship to KHL, and is this an acceptable risk? Washington having Ovi can attract Russians to make sure they come over. Not the same for canucks without any Russian superstars. If we had say Bure working for the Canucks, attracting Russians I wouldn't worry as much.

I agree, but you do need to be cognizant that your pick jump ship to KHL, and is this an acceptable risk? Washington having Ovi can attract Russians to make sure they come over. Not the same for canucks without any Russian superstars. If we had say Bure working for the Canucks, attracting Russians I wouldn't worry as much.

Lots of teams draft russians despite the "russian factor", we don't and we need to start. And i'm not just saying russians, I hate the "we need big north american players idea". Draft the best player, period.

Lots of teams draft russians despite the "russian factor", we don't and we need to start. And i'm not just saying russians, I hate the "we need big north american players idea". Draft the best player, period.

Agreed best player, don't care about NA... But Russians have this out... U have to be cognizant of it. I agree we should draft Russians.

Now that Shero's out there, I'm REALLY hoping Benning doesn't come here. I guess I'm just really having a difficult time understanding the thinking behind the Canucks hiring an assistant GM from another club as the new GM if the current Canucks assistant GM is neither fired nor promoted. And, did I mention that Ray Shero is available now? If one of the knocks on him and his tenure in Pittsburgh is that he focused too much on acquiring/developing top-6 talent, then, that's a problem I'd love for the Canucks to have! Sorry, Canuck fans, but, Zack Kassian is NOT top-6 talent. We can go round and round with the topic of discussion, especially after the fact, but, regarding top-6 talent, the 2013-2014 Vancouver Canucks were deficient from day 1.

I'd have MUCH more faith in Shero fixing that than I would in Benning.

Now that Shero's out there, I'm REALLY hoping Benning doesn't come here. I guess I'm just really having a difficult time understanding the thinking behind the Canucks hiring an assistant GM from another club as the new GM if the current Canucks assistant GM is neither fired nor promoted. And, did I mention that Ray Shero is available now? If one of the knocks on him and his tenure in Pittsburgh is that he focused too much on acquiring/developing top-6 talent, then, that's a problem I'd love for the Canucks to have! Sorry, Canuck fans, but, Zack Kassian is NOT top-6 talent. We can go round and round with the topic of discussion, especially after the fact, but, regarding top-6 talent, the 2013-2014 Vancouver Canucks were deficient from day 1.

I'd have MUCH more faith in Shero fixing that than I would in Benning.

do you know what ray shero's job was before being hired in pittsburg?

Archived