The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Confirmed] Jim Benning signs as new Canucks GM

TheRussianRocket.

Linden, Benning....and now Coach _____________

There is a reasonable thought that a more experienced coach would be better with Linden's relative inexperience in the role and Benning's first time in a GM position. Now, Benning has lots of experience in a front office so it likely won't be that much different, but so long as the coach we choose has lots of experience in the areas we want and has at least been a head coach for a reasonable amount of time in the AHL, possibly with prevous NHL experience as well.

Trots obviously fits the experience factor, but so does Stevens to an extent. Stevens was a successful head coach in the AHL and had a stint as head coach in the NHL as well. He of course has also been an NHL assistant coach for some time as well, so I'd think that's enough to qualify him along with Trots.

Desjardin is a wild card, and while he has the AHL experience I don't know that he has enough combined with NHL experience to quite fit what they're looking for. He has a lot of supporters though, so certainly worth an interview.

II think trots might help us through this re tool ... give us a chance to win on a nightly basis while allowing the gm and team to add pieces through the draft and trades ... he's good with working with what he's got to work with ... that was a mouthful ..

The thing that has to be fixed is the lack of identity the team has. The yrs of MG and AV failed in the playoffs. They need to build character on the team, not get rid of it. With so many no trade contracts it will be a major obstacle. Any players that had moxie have lost it. As long as the building is half full of corporate season seats, then not much will change IMO.

It could be that all Linden will be able to do is give fans hope in a almost hopeless situation.

Benning is the best signing we could have made, he will make the right picks in the draft and make a strong future. I can't wait to see who he picks for coach. I like Trotz but dunno if he will fit the direction and Team Benning will build! I guess we will see very soon who Benning wants!

Go Canucks :canucks:

Here's hoping he can be involved in the draft.

We'll likely have to wait until Friday to find that out. I'm sure it'll be a question at the presser.

It says he'll be formally introduced on Friday. Safe to say we have him.

That doesn't mean there can't be a clause prohibiting from participating in discussion specific to who to take with draft picks. While the Canucks aren't picking that close to Boston we could make a trade that gives us a similar pick or there could still be potential conflict in the later rounds.

Call me crazy (many do), but I'd love to see Travis Green considered at least for the head coach job.

No, he's not an "NHL" coach before, but I was pretty impressed with how he turned Utica around after a really bad start and how hard they pushed on a fairly thin talent pool down there last year!

Theres a huge difference between Pouliot and Bennett in my opinion. Pouliot is much more valuable. But otherwise i agree with you.

But...that's my argument.

Pouliot would be THE piece coming back that cements the deal. The potential Norris candidate D man we have never had

Not enough experience just yet. They'll want some continuity in Utica as well and promoting Green after only one year is a big change.

Yes .. maybe in a year or two, Green moves up to the NHL as an Assistant with us, bringing some of the freshly 'developed' Comets with him. I would really like to add Manny Malhotra to the Comets staff when he is ready to retire.

Blaming Trotz for benching a guy twice, cause he is a spoiled flake who doesnt care about the team? Youtube the video of Radulov hitting his own coach. Shows you what kind of guy he is.

I can't even imagine how CDC would react if our coach benched our best offensive guy in the playoffs, twice. I've seen that before, and that's Salavat Yulaev's goalie coach, not just his coach. I highly doubt it's intentional, he apologizes right after hitting him.

Lol. The guy came back to Nashville after playing in Russia for some time. He played 17 games in the NHL before he went back to the KHL and CSKA Moscow. Under this short period of time in Nashville, Trotz had him out of the line-up 2 times. Why do you think he went back to the NHL if he didn't want to play there? Maybe he didn't have dedication for the team, but even a freaking idiot would realize that Radulov went back to Russia because of Trotz. Trotz sitting him out twice obviously had major influence on his decision to go back to the KHL. Radulov being spoiled or not is a completely different story.

Him being spoiled and having a bad attitude and the coach benching him are not two different stories, they go hand in hand. People wanted AV gone long ago simply because he played favourites and let some players make multiple mistakes and stay on the ice while others were solely responsible for their own -10 +/- stat but got all the ice time they could handle. Trotz sitting a guy with a crap for brains attitude just shows he holds players accountable, and wont play favorites no matter who you are. which is a good thing, and exactly what the Canucks need.

I can't even imagine how CDC would react if our coach benched our best offensive guy in the playoffs, twice. I've seen that before, and that's Salavat Yulaev's goalie coach, not just his coach. I highly doubt it's intentional, he apologizes right after hitting him.

Radulov sulked his way right into the pressbox. Good on Trotz for showing him the way.....back to the USSR. I like the way Trotz works with his players, something that very few coaches can do in todays, what have you done for me lately scheme of things.

Archived