The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The "I would like to see Torts stay for at least one more year" thread.

SuperReverb2

Ah yes, the old "I have an opinion and anyone who disagrees knows nothing about hockey and coaching"...

Been a while since I've seen that one and quite honestly it hasn't been missed.

What I heard was a lot of dancing around the issue, talking about things like "not pushing hard enough" and "giving up the room too much". I didn't hear anything like "maybe giving certain guys so many minutes, so early in the season wasn't a great idea", or "maybe I should have put some of these guys in a better position to succed", etc.

You know....specifics.

Also, I wouldn't call the pairing of Edler and Bieksa for so much of the season a "detailed understanding of the group". I'd also say that the amount of ice time per game given to Edler points to something less than "brilliance".

A concrete plan on how he was planning to turn this mess around if given the chance would be far closer to what I would consider "gospel".

i will repeat

anyone who watched the torts presser and still thinks he should be fired

knows nothing about hockey and coaching

that man said everything that finally needed to be said and clearly he has coached this way all year

the players did not respond

lets call a spade a spade here folks. AV was fired because he 'lost the room' it had become complacent and lost its drive

torts was brought in, in the hopes someone could salvage that, motivate this group

injuries played a big role but clearly, the issue is the MIX...its not the coaches

if you have ever coached anything and you listened to his words, it was like listening to gospel, to a real detailed understanding of his group, team dynamics, the strengths and weaknesses of this team, and himself.

this man is very self aware, he is a brilliant leader....this group has failed and needs changes, but that doesn't include the coach.

46aaf04582c79d03911d0d3b01f2462e1e4beef3

Torts needs to go. You can't hire a new GM and expect them to be able to bring in players to fit into Tort's system. Plus, most of the players already here (core) most likely don't want to play that style of hockey. We don't need our top players killing penalties, play on the power play and their regular shifts. The goalies have top notch equipment for stopping shots. Better to work on a system where we hurry the shooters than worrying about blocking every shot. We triend this year and still go beat so what the heck!

Trevor, cut Torts and start with the signing of a quality GM (Benning) and then step back and allow him to hire a new coach. Have the GM work with coach to design the type of players we need to go after at the draft and during the off season.

Go Kelowna Rockets!

Yet Gillis traded according to AV's needs, especially trading them away.

Could you please provide a link to any 'quotes' from Canuck players saying they don't like Torts? .. or is this just an opinion? .. all coaches and players contributed to the 'mess', as did Lady Luck and the Olympics

It's not what they said it's what they don't say which is basically they are happy with the systems and coaching. Read between the lines. Players for obvious reasons do not trash coaches in the media. However, they do say positive things when it's called for. The fact no player has anything positive or supportive to say about Torts is very revealing.

People enjoyed Torts presser yesterday but what most people took away from it and Botch hit on it is that Torts says one thing and then 5 minutes says the exact opposite. My favorite is that he trashes a player and then after says he's not trashing them.

In short Torts is a nut job. Of course the Calgary incident made that pretty clear.

I love torts I think he's exactly what this team needs. unfortunately he did the right things, at the wrong time, and went overboard.

Weirdly enough it sorta reminds me of the Hodgson situation. You can have some one who is a little too firey, or goes overboard, or is a spoiled brat etc, but has talen and the right stuff to put a team over the edge of winning. The beatles hated each other by the end of their career but they were the most successful band ever. Now imagine if cody used his over confidence toward the group and think about if the group didn't ostracise (sp) him for being cocky. Ironically enough he's now a 3rd line center, right?

Teams that can get over these types of things win.

I think torts deserves another year. I don't understand enough of what happened behind the scenes to take more of a stance so that is my take. Before the incident the team was firing on all cylinders. Sestito was on his way to being a star ! Haha. If only torts didn't rush that dressing room things may have been different.

So maybe that warrents his dismisal. I'd say no because I don't think it was as bad as it was made out to be. Obviously I don;t agree with the common understanding or beleive so I'm in the minority. There wasn't an assault. if there weren't people sepparating them I don't think he would have hit anyone.

So yea, I tip my glass to the coach who had to jam to lay it out on the line for what he beleived in. Hopefully he stays on board another year so I can meet him and shake his hand. The guy is the real deal.

Unfortunately sometimes people like him aren't suited to the public life and I totally understand that also. When it comes down to what we say about him though call him an idiot or crazy all you want but he stood up for the Sedins and the rest of the guys and paid for it. I won't forget that and I doubt they ever will either.

Just watched Tortorella's last presser of the year. I believe in him still. His honesty is refreshing.

When he says core members that need to go, who is he referring to?

I think Trevor will give him one more year, but may ask to replace Sullivan and Gulutzan.

It's not what they said it's what they don't say which is basically they are happy with the systems and coaching. Read between the lines. Players for obvious reasons do not trash coaches in the media. However, they do say positive things when it's called for. The fact no player has anything positive or supportive to say about Torts is very revealing.

People enjoyed Torts presser yesterday but what most people took away from it and Botch hit on it is that Torts says one thing and then 5 minutes says the exact opposite. My favorite is that he trashes a player and then after says he's not trashing them.

In short Torts is a nut job. Of course the Calgary incident made that pretty clear.

So nothing that validates anything other than an 'opinion'? .. good .. I have an opinion too .. hate/bias/prejudice clouds your ability to reason on this matter .. please step away from your keyboard .. now .. take a breath.

Torts isn't the friggen problem, the core is the problem. Torts was merely the vehicle that brought it to a head and now everybody has to deal with it. He's right about the team (core) being stale and living in the past. Did you watch the presser with the Sedins? Henrik was talking about how he felt that the team could get back to playing the way they did in 2011 and then about halfway through that he said "Yes, I know I said the same thing last year, but I do still believe we can do it." Says it all right there for me. The team needs a severe shakeup coupled with an injection of skilled, energetic youth. (ala the San Jose model) Torts IS the right guy for this and the right guy to lead this team into the FUTURE so we can stop thinking and playing in the past.

:)

Torts. I could go either ways.

I will say the SIGNIFICANT drop in offensive production is due to Torts and his system. This needs to be addressed.

However, I do agree this core is stale and needs a mixup.

In the stretch to make the playoffs/stop losing skids, we saw this core fold time and time again. (how many times did we say "rock bottom" this year) Not enough pushback, digging deep.

Torts isn't the friggen problem, the core is the problem. Torts was merely the vehicle that brought it to a head and now everybody has to deal with it. He's right about the team (core) being stale and living in the past. Did you watch the presser with the Sedins? Henrik was talking about how he felt that the team could get back to playing the way they did in 2011 and then about halfway through that he said "Yes, I know I said the same thing last year, but I do still believe we can do it." Says it all right there for me. The team needs a severe shakeup coupled with an injection of skilled, energetic youth. (ala the San Jose model) Torts IS the right guy for this and the right guy to lead this team into the FUTURE so we can stop thinking and playing in the past.

:)

yes, tortorella was right about the team.

no, tortorella isn't right FOR the team.

his approach to the game is outdated and will never be successful, and he's either too dumb or too stubborn to adapt.

So what I'm taking away from 8 pages of debate on this topic is either of two things:

- Keep the same coach and move the core players (about a half dozen players and around 35-40 million dollars/yr worth of contracts)

or

- Keep the core and find a coach who believes he can win with them (moving about 8 million dollars total)

I wonder which way Trev is leaning?

So what I'm taking away from 8 pages of debate on this topic is either of two things:

- Keep the same coach and move the core players (about a half dozen players and around 35-40 million dollars/yr worth of contracts)

or

- Keep the core and find a coach who believes he can win with them (moving about 8 million dollars total)

I wonder which way Trev is leaning?

or, option 3 (the right option):

- get a new coach that suits the identity of the team, and make a couple of necessary key changes to the core to freshen things up.

Unfortunately he has nothing left so why not be honest.

The facts are,, he has taken a playoff team applied "His system?" Missed the playoffs, and now says he should have taken more responsibility in

leading the dressing room and paying attention to detail....... Oops to late.

He sure knows the typical Canadian Psyche .... Screw it up admit to it say you're sorry all is forgiven. I saw none of that in New York?

Hind sight and all that jazz doesn’t win championships. It seems to me TL has a fairly tough but straightforward first critical decision to make here.

I think it would be more disruptive to this team if TL was to give him a chance at least until Christmas like a few on CDC are saying.

I would suggest hiring Paul Maurice if he becomes available from the Jets.

Too late Maurice signed with Jets

So nothing that validates anything other than an 'opinion'? .. good .. I have an opinion too .. hate/bias/prejudice clouds your ability to reason on this matter .. please step away from your keyboard .. now .. take a breath.

I can do some more reasoning for you - you seem to lack reading comprehension skills.

Archived