The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The "I would like to see Torts stay for at least one more year" thread.

SuperReverb2

Weirdly enough it sorta reminds me of the Hodgson situation. You can have some one who is a little too firey, or goes overboard, or is a spoiled brat etc, but has talen and the right stuff to put a team over the edge of winning. The beatles hated each other by the end of their career but they were the most successful band ever. Now imagine if cody used his over confidence toward the group and think about if the group didn't ostracise (sp) him for being cocky. Ironically enough he's now a 3rd line center, right?

But then we wouldn't have Kassian.

(And we would have slow and short Hodgson clogging up development for all our other young centres.)

I've got a lot of time for Torts, the man- he's brutally honest (to his own detriment sometimes) and I've got to say that if I played for the guy I would probably skate through the boards for the guy, as a player you always want to know where you stand with the coach. I see a lot of statements like "he's not the right coach for this team" but I don't think that's entirely the case- I think a more honest assessment would be "he is not the right coach for this team right now". His systems ask a lot of the players physically, everybody has to play a complete 200 foot game and he tried right from training camp to get them to the level of fitness that was required of it. Problem is, the best players on this team are not 25 years old any more and they are not up to the task. 5 years ago I think he could have been the guy to get us to Lord Stanley, now it's up to Trevor if he's the right man for the rebuild- and if he stays next year I believe it's not going to be any better over 82 games than it was this year. Either way in Trevor I trust.

I love torts I think he's exactly what this team needs. unfortunately he did the right things, at the wrong time, and went overboard.

Weirdly enough it sorta reminds me of the Hodgson situation. You can have some one who is a little too firey, or goes overboard, or is a spoiled brat etc, but has talen and the right stuff to put a team over the edge of winning. The beatles hated each other by the end of their career but they were the most successful band ever. Now imagine if cody used his over confidence toward the group and think about if the group didn't ostracise (sp) him for being cocky. Ironically enough he's now a 3rd line center, right?

Teams that can get over these types of things win.

I think torts deserves another year. I don't understand enough of what happened behind the scenes to take more of a stance so that is my take. Before the incident the team was firing on all cylinders. Sestito was on his way to being a star ! Haha. If only torts didn't rush that dressing room things may have been different.

So maybe that warrents his dismisal. I'd say no because I don't think it was as bad as it was made out to be. Obviously I don;t agree with the common understanding or beleive so I'm in the minority. There wasn't an assault. if there weren't people sepparating them I don't think he would have hit anyone.

So yea, I tip my glass to the coach who had to jam to lay it out on the line for what he beleived in. Hopefully he stays on board another year so I can meet him and shake his hand. The guy is the real deal.

Unfortunately sometimes people like him aren't suited to the public life and I totally understand that also. When it comes down to what we say about him though call him an idiot or crazy all you want but he stood up for the Sedins and the rest of the guys and paid for it. I won't forget that and I doubt they ever will either.

A $4.25 million third line center. Something would have had to give regardless - that cap hit was not going to work, particularly with the cap drop. Whether the group ostracized him or his agent/group sought to move him elsewhere where he'd get the ice time he wanted isn't clear. The other aspect here - let's not pretend that a one dimensional 40 point 3rd line center was going to put the team over the edge. Daniel had a concussion, Kesler was hobbling - a rookie was not going to propel this team past L.A. to a Cup.

Regarding Tortorella - I can't speak for anyone else, but losing control and trying to get at Hartley isn't the reason I lack confidence in Tortorella. Most people appreciate his passion is one - when he manages to harness it positively - I'm not really a fan of his outbursts behind the bench directed at players either. But I think you missed the part in the presser where he was asked what he was going to do if he managed to get beyond McGratton etc - he pretty much indicated that he was going to "get" Hartley. It sounds like an assault very likely could have occured.

Torts does stand up for his players. He did defend the Sedins. He probably does have a certain element of comradery that he effects at times in the locker room. But he also does things like express that he had no depth, and refers to his core as stale, old and trending. The pretty much burns the roster from both ends. Part of the problem I have with that is that it's a roster that managed to go 24-11 before they hit the nosebleed wall of exhaustion, injuries and downright horrible fortune.

The problem with the GMing comments are that he would be the guy coaching those players - and he's expressed a significant lack of confidence in them. He also hasn't been specific at all, so we're left to wonder which of the depth players he doesn't consider NHL worthy, and which of the core he thinks has to go... It sweeps about 2/3 of the roster into question. For me, if I have to choose between a recently hired coach, who took a significant amount of offense to 'honest, realistic' comments about the team's style of play over the past months, which he felt are "internal" matters, and yet turns around to make extensive public comments about depth, and his core - to me there is a significant contradiction there - and not only that, but if we're supposed to take sides in the roster vs John Tortorella, I'm going to go with a number of players who I've come to admire and identify as Canucks for some time, plain and simple.

I don't think the approach to that press conference was well thought out at all. If Tortorella had delved more into actual hockey questions and coaching decisions - beyond cliches about pushing, foot to the pedal, banging away, strictness (those sales kicks may have gotten him the job, convincing people who thought the core needed a kick, but the results don't sell) - and instead into the actual questions about systems and personnel decisions that people have doubts about, he may have won over a range of different people. As it stands, he has appealed to folks who essentially value the coach more than the players, and I don't like his chances with that.

Torts needs to stay to carry on his feud with Bob Hartley and Brian Burke.

^^^^ This

After watching Cherry talking about what Patrik Roy (banging the glass) I for one am on Torts side and glad he did what he did trying to get to Hartley at the Flamez dressing room.

#keeptorts

I didn't like the Torts signing in the first place, but thought he did a decent job cleaning up his act, until the Calgary meltdown. His defense system didn't seem to work that well either, but the players can take their share of the blame for that. Injuries and ref's made it very difficult to produce wins, but overplaying the top six, put the last nail in the coffin. Torts can't see the big picture, and had a win at all costs attitude with each game. For that reason alone they should find a new coach. I usually don't like to see people fired, but Tort's will still be paid enough for me not to feel sorry for him.

i thought his season ending presser was a bit of a rollercoaster ride. i really appreciated how he voiced all die hard fans concerns regarding the need for roster upgrades. i can't remember ever hearing a coach openly admit that his roster depth needs lots of work. in the end it's on the players. you can twist that around as much as you want but torts did not have the horses to get it done and injuries only magnified our lack of depth down the stretch. you can't win in the bigs without 4 lines and our team functions on half a top line, a second line that really is a third line and 6 or so other forwards that are total tweeners. in the end i feel it is simply too knee jerk and bush league a move to can a coach after one year especially considering our roster and the insane amount of injuries.

bring him back for another try. he'll learn from this season and be better next year.

I would venture to say he did have the horses to get this team in the playoffs..His deployment of the players was another story completely..He completely failed to elevate this roster in any way,shape or form

yes that's why Tanev had career numbers in goals assists and points or Stanton a waiver pick up rookie putting up 16 points

how about Kassian and Booth towards the end

Higgins 17g 22a at 2.5 million

Weber in his short time here putting up 6g 4a

Santorelli and Richardson thrived under Torts

Edler Hamhuis Bieksa Garrison Sedin's Kesler and Hansen are the ones that didn't elevate the causes of which are from injuries suspensions coaching and themselves not pushing hard enough

Torts got a lot out of the role players and young players the veterans crumbled under him it seems again it's not all on him the players should be taking the blame as well

I've got a lot of time for Torts, the man- he's brutally honest (to his own detriment sometimes) and I've got to say that if I played for the guy I would probably skate through the boards for the guy, as a player you always want to know where you stand with the coach. I see a lot of statements like "he's not the right coach for this team" but I don't think that's entirely the case- I think a more honest assessment would be "he is not the right coach for this team right now". His systems ask a lot of the players physically, everybody has to play a complete 200 foot game and he tried right from training camp to get them to the level of fitness that was required of it. Problem is, the best players on this team are not 25 years old any more and they are not up to the task. 5 years ago I think he could have been the guy to get us to Lord Stanley, now it's up to Trevor if he's the right man for the rebuild- and if he stays next year I believe it's not going to be any better over 82 games than it was this year. Either way in Trevor I trust.

spot on

yes that's why Tanev had career numbers in goals assists and points or Stanton a waiver pick up rookie putting up 16 points

how about Kassian and Booth towards the end

Higgins 17g 22a at 2.5 million

Weber in his short time here putting up 6g 4a

Santorelli and Richardson thrived under Torts

Edler Hamhuis Bieksa Garrison Sedin's Kesler and Hansen are the ones that didn't elevate the causes of which are from injuries suspensions coaching and themselves not pushing hard enough

Torts got a lot out of the role players and young players the veterans crumbled under him it seems again it's not all on him the players should be taking the blame as well

Before this season,the most games Tanev played in the NHL was 38..He had 2 goals..This season he had 6 goals in 64 games..Hardly overwhelming

Higgins had a better year in 2011-12 under AV..So his numbers are down.

The rest of the team completely underachieved..That responsibility falls on the coaching staff,

Before this season,the most games Tanev played in the NHL was 38..He had 2 goals..This season he had 6 goals in 64 games..Hardly overwhelming

Higgins had a better year in 2011-12 under AV..So his numbers are down.

The rest of the team completely underachieved..That responsibility falls on the coaching staff,

That's crap. This team has underachieved since the cup run of 2011. Got AV fired and now is on the brink of possibly getting Torts fired. All on the players at his point. What if we fired Torts (BIG mistake IMHO) and get a new coach? Same players. Same result at this time next year? Fire another coach. Keep the same players again? I think NOT. Time for a change now, with Torts and Trevor as the team's leaders.

:)

That's crap. This team has underachieved since the cup run of 2011. Got AV fired and now is on the brink of possibly getting Torts fired. All on the players at his point. What if we fired Torts (BIG mistake IMHO) and get a new coach? Same players. Same result at this time next year? Fire another coach. Keep the same players again? I think NOT. Time for a change now, with Torts and Trevor as the team's leaders.

This exactly.

i been saying this since the veteran "core" quit on AV and got him fired.

The delusional fan boys around here wanna blame the coach again when its clearly the players who arent performing once again, the same core that crapt the bed the last 3 years. The same core that sounds like a broken record every spring with the exact same excuses.

Yeah, you clearly got the crux of Tortorella's comments - which was to turn the questions towards a lack of depth, an old, stale, trending core - and the very simplistic answer that he didn't 'Tortorella' that weak depth and old core enough.

What, on the other hand, did Tortorella do to earn himself another year? Tell us about the coaching he did do.

This exactly.

The delusional fan boys around here wanna blame the coach again when its clearly the players who arent performing once again, the same core that crapt the bed the last 3 years. The same core that sounds like a broken record every spring with the exact same excuses.

smart canucks fans realize the core is stale and needs some changes.

smart canucks fans also realize that tortorella is a horrible coach who will never again have nhl success, exacerbated all of the teams existing problems while creating a bounty of new ones, and should have been fired 4 days ago.

The Canucks need to be careful not to follow Edmonton's footsteps and fire one coach every year and finally realize it's not a coaching issue. The team has been on a decline since 2011 and the core has stayed roughly the same. The coach is not the issue at the moment. They need to trade a couple core guys away and bring in more young talent. I thought a few young guys have developed well under Torts like Tanev and Kassian

This exactly.

Resorting to derisive generalizations ("delusional fan boys") that do not accurately portray those of us that want Torts fired, and trite expressions ("broken record") that sound more like a description of your own repetitive and ingenuous posts than anything else, is confirmation that what you "been saying" is not worth reading.

The decision at present is whether to keep or fire Torts not AV.

Torts proved himself unable to treat the players with respect, especially in public on the bench during the games, and Linden will do well to remember the last time (Keenan and Messier) the team was treated like that.

[Linden can hardly forget it. Keenan told Trev to, "Shut the %$&%^ up", took the "C" off his jersey and gave it to Messier (who also took #11 which was a retired number), and traded Linden away. (Even though this was a good trade for the team, it was not what our captain wanted I am sure).

Torts also admitted he did not know anything about the other teams and did not care to spend the time to learn; well Anaheim sure did the teaching for him whether he liked it or not.

There are only 30 head coaching positions in the NHL; there is no way that flying off the handle all the time in public and abstinence from proper research keeps him in serious contention or ahead of the hundreds of candidates for the job.

If it was just his style and systems, maybe, but his demeanor, his public lashing of his players and his uncontrollable mouth and temper is too much. I very much hope they put this sideshow behind them.

Are you one of those squirrel-people that are constantly on their iphone not paying attention and get shocked and disgusted at the nerve of someone around you not being totally sterile and silent? As if you would vouch for a disingenuous lawyer like approach. Why don't you suggest hiring Mike Gillis as a coach, someone bound to make bold moves and be ashamed at himself and sit in the corner whimpering to himself when the big bad squirrel people come out with their squirrel typing fingers and all shout with their texts.. As they sit silently in their front row seats pretending not to care.. About anything.

Archived