The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Most Likely to Drop

Makaramel MacKhiato

It happens every year in the draft, when a player drops far below the position he was ranked to be drafted at. Occasionally a player ranked in the top 3 will get drafted far lower then expected.
My question for you, is who of these 3 players would likely drop into a spot where the Canucks are able to draft them at #6 or 7, and why?
Sam Reinhart
Aaron Ekblad
Sam Bennett

Past players who have gone lower then ranked:
2013: Seth Jones (Ranked #1-2, drafted #4)
2012: Filip Forsberg (Ranked #2-4, drafted #11)
2011: Adam Larsson (Ranked #2, drafted #4)
2010: Cam Fowler (Ranked top 4, drafted #12)

Some players dropped further then others, but unexpected things always happen. Unrealistically, Sam Reinhart would drop to the #6 spot, and Canucks can grab a forward that is from Vancouver, that would be a dominant force for them for many years to come. But I believe that most likely would be Sam Bennett, who would be a steal for the Canucks.
I just find it hard to believe someone of Reinhart's caliber would fall outside the top 3, and if he did, Islanders would likely pick him up for the Reinhart brothers to play together.
Ekblad is even more unlikely as many teams want a big, mature defenseman. He won't be dropping past Edmonton.

Really doubt any of those 3 drop to anything lower than 4, if at all.

bennett is rated #1 in the final ratings....dal colle is the most likely to slip a spot, if someone decides to take ehlers...

Dal Colle, Ritchie, Virtanen, Perlini…all guys who can play physical and have serious talent. Any of those guys could be gems for the Canucks…if they want more pure skill, I'm sure either Nylander or Ehlers would be available.

I truly believe the Canucks are going to get an awesome prospect out of this draft.

I could see Bennett falling. He's a great player, but a little undersized compared to Draistl and Dal Colle.

I have seen some mocks that suggest Nylander going 6th, but then again Kapanen was ranked higher on the CScouting list.

Really wish those two had played in the world juniors so we would have a good idea of their talent level. So frustrating having never seen them play haha. If they had played well they could have bumped one of the top 5 to us and if they didn't then we would be looking elsewhere.

People can expect what they want, but a lot has been leaked.

Buffalo scout was on record as loving ekblad.

Tallon said he took a chance on Kane so why not (ehlers)

Apparently Cal likes Ritchie

EDM trusted sources say that managements second favorite guy is draisatl. (ekblad #1)

only team we haven't had any leaks or what not from is nyi. but, the common sense pick for nyi is Dal colle because they're weak on the wings.

EDM trusted sources say that managements second favorite guy is draisatl. (ekblad #1)

only team we haven't had any leaks or what not from is nyi. but, the common sense pick for nyi is Dal colle because they're weak on the wings.

If this ends up being true, it would be so fucking awesome because we would draft one of Dal Colle or Draisaitl or Reinhart (Huge IF on Reinhart)

If this ends up being true, it would be so ???? awesome because we would draft one of Dal Colle or Draisaitl or Reinhart (Huge IF on Reinhart)

Yeah I doubt Reino drops past both NYI and the Flamers, considering they both have one of the other brothers too. Although getting Sam would be sick. Put kes on his wing.

This isn't really about if someone would drop to 6, it's more who would be most likely of those 3 to drop. Remember no one dreamed that Forsberg or Fowler would go to 11 and 12. Washington and Anaheim were shocked they were able to make those steals. Let's just hope the canucks aren't the team that goes far off the board

So there's a chance Bennett drops!

Anything can happen folks

Other than Ekblad going very early I dont think there is any real consensus beyond Ekblad being the top available dman and a franchise building one at that.

The next 5-7 players are all similar and yet slightly different in what they bring and depending on team needs, then next picks can be anyone

As this year there are no real 'superstars' its often years like this players drop etc.

Ie

Fleury could move higher

Virtanen - BC boy playing in Calgary's backyard, does Calgary take him early? At the same time Burkey loves "truculance" so does he go for a guy like Ritchie? Calgary isn't very big with their youth (Big w Skill), they are in the west and have less of a mix than we do... I could see them moving down the board.

Euro's - some teams are more than happy to draft a highly skilled euro even though they are not 'Canadian' folks

Everyone is looking at it from "Canucks" eye's

NYI - the don't need another center - Strome and Tavares (assuming they are still very high on Strome), they need Dmen and wingers(Fleury or a winger Dal Colle? - boy would he look good on Tavare's wing right?)

Only thing I see for certain Buffalo will take Ekblad if they get first, given their Defense

We need a big gritty top 6 forward who can score on a consistent basis.....that is what I hope happens...no more small 3rd or 4th line players. The defense has depth but the forward ranks are thin. There are players like Horvat, Shinkaruk, Jensen and Dixon but they need seasoning as will whoever we pick this year. A lot can happen at the draft because we don't know who could be traded to move up in the draft.

I am super excited to see what transpires this year....hoping for a chance to move up like we did when we drafted the Sedin's.

Archived