The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks 2nd rounder 36th overall

Bobby_Lu1ngo

Travis Sanheim d from Calgary Hitmen has been unreal in the u18's.

Eric Cornel c/rw from Peterborough looks solid.

Oskar Lindblom rw from Sweden .

Brendan Lemieux, Fiala, Fabbri or Honka if they fall.....I doubt it.

Late rounds...

I wonder about the lack of fanfare for Axel Holmstrom c/lw with size and scoring at all levels and lighting up u18's with Nylander.

Andrei Mironov 19 yr old defenseman playing with men in the KHL is another interesting player.

if Demko drops to us....get him. Doubt he makes it out of the first round. Next Cory Schneider right there folks

Nedeljkovic is another stud goalie in the draft, not sure if you take him at 36, but its unlikely he falls to the 3rd round

What would you say for Dougherty? To me he seems like a steady,smart type of guy who can chip in some offense. I like his credentials: HS state championship, USNTDP training, and about to get some quality ice time at the D factory that is Wisconsin

Not the biggest fan, but definitely like him more than Glover.

Again after watching him, i am left wanting more. I feel the defenders from the NTDP team (besides Hanifin) lack the ability to control the game and really standout. I agree Dougherty plays a steady game, skates well and flashes skill with a nice outlet pass and shows some good offensive instinct on the PP. He has a lot of tools but i wish he would take full advantage of them to take his game to another level. Sometimes just blends in.

But Wisconsin is a good school and if anyone can mold D men, its Eaves.

I would be very tempted to go with Axel Holmstrom. He is a bit of a stretch at 36th, but he is currently tearing up the WJC U-18's right now as Nylander's primary set-up man. Not to mention he currently has a .645 face-off percentage while having taken the 3rd most face-offs at the WJC U-18's and is +10 (may be due to him and Nylander being on the same line).

Opinion on play style: Having not seen many of his games (only 2 other than the WJC U-18's) I would cautiously liken him to Henrik Zetterberg. Interesting tidbit, they are listed at the exact same height and weight (6'0" and 196 lbs). I would say that Holmstrom's point production this year is pretty comparable to Zetterberg's post-draft year production, though Holmstrom has played much better at the international level. Has shown decent speed and tenacity with the puck, good two-way capabilities, and a willingness to go to the dirty areas.

While it would be a reach to select him so early in the second round I would be hesitant to wait until the third round for him as I think he could turn into a real stud and I wouldn't want to miss out.

Not the biggest fan, but definitely like him more than Glover.

Again after watching him, i am left wanting more. I feel the defenders from the NTDP team (besides Hanifin) lack the ability to control the game and really standout. I agree Dougherty plays a steady game, skates well and flashes skill with a nice outlet pass and shows some good offensive instinct on the PP. He has a lot of tools but i wish he would take full advantage of them to take his game to another level. Sometimes just blends in.

But Wisconsin is a good school and if anyone can mold D men, its Eaves.

You rock, Kreuzberg. Filtering through the stubborn opinions on this board can give a guy a headache but it's always a pleasure to read your detailed breakdowns on these kids.

Just curious, where do you watch NDTP and all these hard to hard to see players? Internet streams?

I personally know Nick Magyar.

He's a great american kid, works SO hard.

I would personally pick him, just because I know that he's such a great guy (not because of an eye-popping level of skill).

Ya I like Magyar as I posted in the other few threads.

Hopefully he is available at #66.

I also wouldn't mind Gustav Forsling in one of the later rounds if we can get him. Looks to be a great PP guy.

The Gophers are the number 1 collage team at putting player in the nhl in the last 5 years. I think schoeder (how ever you spell it) just needs time.

Playing 4th line minutes with-probably- a 70% foot when your an undersized player is a pretty big disadvantage.

edit: fixing my awful grammar

Ya I haven't given up on him. Last year was a tough year for him & I don't think Torts system helped him much.

This summer will be huge for him & if he can get back to doing the things he did when he first broke into the league in 2013 then build on his game from there he should be ok.

No love for Julius Honka?

I can't see him falling to #36. I have him ahead of McKeowen myself.

brayden point was in on almost 50% of his teams offence. but he's only listed at 5'9

Ya he would be a great pick. Hopefully he falls to our third pick or late. Could be a Tyler Johnson type.

Travis Sanheim d from Calgary Hitmen has been unreal in the u18's.

Eric Cornel c/rw from Peterborough looks solid.

Oskar Lindblom rw from Sweden .

Brendan Lemieux, Fiala, Fabbri or Honka if they fall.....I doubt it.

Late rounds...

I wonder about the lack of fanfare for Axel Holmstrom c/lw with size and scoring at all levels and lighting up u18's with Nylander.

Andrei Mironov 19 yr old defenseman playing with men in the KHL is another interesting player.

I remember seeing him in the World Juniors two years ago in his draft year & being impressed with what I saw, I even think he was playing in the KHL then too. I wanted him then and would love if we would take a flyer on him now. Could be a good piece in Utica next year if we did (and if he has a desire to come over)

We should really be looking at Brett Pollock as a potential 2nd rounder, he's been playing really well for EDM in the WHL playoffs has good size, and is a +12 in 14 games.

Good Article: https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/buzzing-the-net/nhl-draft-tracker-brett-pollock-edmonton-oil-kings-161214569.html

Stats: http://www.whl.ca/roster/show/id/10626

Edit: 10 G's and 7 A's in 14 playoff games March Birthday.

You rock, Kreuzberg. Filtering through the stubborn opinions on this board can give a guy a headache but it's always a pleasure to read your detailed breakdowns on these kids.

Just curious, where do you watch NDTP and all these hard to hard to see players? Internet streams?

Thanks!

There were a couple streams of the NTDP against the NCAA during the season, and for the U18, fasthockey.com has been streaming all USA games for free. So i've been watching that as well. Their final game is tomorrow (well now today since its after 12), gold medal. But you can watch it on there or on TSN2.

Antti Kalapudas, Oskar Lindbolm (6'2 187 pounds) who is a strong skater that gets his dirty and does all the gritty stuff, Daniel Audette who did very well in the QMJHL with 76 points in 68 games is a small, speedy, offensive gifted center but what keeps him lower than what he should be ranked is his size (5'9 176 pounds).

I wouldn't mind any of those guys in our 3rd round if they are still around. They would be great choices.

Ondrej Kase is another one, hopefully you all saw him do well in the U18's because he is a offensive magician but size holds him back in the rankings.

As for the 2nd round I think we should be hoping for Vrana to fall but if he doesn't then I would go with Chase De Leo, both these guys are very good scorers.

Still hoping for a Ritchie/Cornel duo. Those two have great chemistry. Cornel is adept at both centre and wing, has a projectable 6'2 frame, and is dedicated to the defensive/physical side as well.

He has great speed and passing ability but is very lanky. After working out hard in the off season he shot up the draft rankings. Seems to have a great attitude and work ethic. Don't see him becoming a top line talent but possibly a solid 2nd line player. Possibly comparable to Matt Cullen?

I don't know, from my handful of viewings of Glover, i've yet to be impressed. I've been more disappointed with aspects of his game. Someone brought up the word "pedestrian" and it fit like a glove (pardon my pun) in terms of what i've seen of Glover.

I've seen Glover ranked as high as a late 1st rounder and I simply don't see a 1st or early 2nd round calber player here. Seems to be a polarizing player; some people love him, but i also know a few who are unimpressed like me.

I like his size and skating. But he always leaves you wanting more and really doesn't use his frame to his advantage. Calling him physical is a misnomer; don't think i saw him throw the body more once (you want physical, look at his team-mate Ryan Collins, that guy is physical). Limited offensive capabilities; not that good of a passer (i can safely say Dougherty is a better passer). To me, Glover does not project as a guy who can play on your PP and hasn't shown the smarts to be a standout defensive D-man either. At least with Dougherty, you can see some flashes of skill. With Glover, not so much.

I'm not the biggest fan of Dougherty either, but if i had to choose between the two, it would be Dougherty.

guys like Glover and Dougherty leave you wanting more but they are also getting the job done. Not asking for a flashy dman out of the 2nd but either of these 2 wont leave you disappointed either. Both have been steady and been a part of the wrecking ball squad (USNTDP) that has been playing together all year and playing college teams and currently kickin ass at U18

Not to mention both are RH....not sure if we have many of those in our system

Tyson Baille.

Not sure if he's second or third round material, but he's another one of those semi- Andreychuk types; not the absolute best in any situation, but reliable in all situations. Rockets certainly relied on him when the game was on the line, and were rewarded for it. I think he's a bit under the radar as well, due to how much talent their first line is stacked with. Might be available.

Nikolay Goldobin, RW (6'0, 185 lbs) - 38 goals, 94 points, on the worst team in the OHL, Sarnia Sting.

The only OHL draft eligible prospect who outscored him this year was Dal Colle, and it was by 1 point.

I could see him sliding due to the "Russian factor" (even though he played in CHL, it is still a concern for teams) and because he played on a horrible team and had a bad -30.

Here are his highlights from his previous year, when he put up 68 points as a 17-year-old. We could use some of that raw talent.

Archived