The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Do You See Edler Bouncing Back?

William_Clarkson

we've been asking this question since 2011......will edler be bouncing back next season??

how many more years do we have to ask this same question??

if he so needs the right partner to play adequate defense.....then he SHOULD NOT be paid as the highest dman we have....

at this point, we should try to move him while his value is still relatively high around the league...

I what to keep him just so I can read more of the stupid comments. There is something wrong with the way the Canucks have handle him the last couple years, because his is one of the better Swedish defense men in the Olympics.

The Sedins were pretty decent in Olympics and the World Championships as well. Neither have been stellar in the NHL lately. Both Elder and the Sedins seem to thrive on the bigger, less congested, ice surface. While Daniel and Henrik usually have each other for support, Edler is an island unto himself. Pretty sure he currently has "Ballarditis" and will only (possibly) bounce back or thrive with a change of scenery. Tough call as he certainly has/had potential.

:)

It would be so rad if the new coach gets right through to edler and he starts playing like an all star with bone crunching elusive hits consistently.. And turns Schroeder into the player he was in junior haha

Wouldn't that be something. Turns out to be a Schroeder Edler type guy lol.. Pretty wishful thinking but we'd be right back in the mix with our youth taking flight

It's hilarious how short people's memories are.... :rolleyes:

2011-2012 NHL defensemen:

Alex Edler - Tied with Shea Weber for 6th among NHL defenders with 49pts. ....

That's a 16pt improvement over the previous season and only 1 pt less than Ehrhoff had in 2010-2011. Meanwhile, Ehrhoff dropped to 32 pts in 2011-2012....

That's a 16pt improvement over the previous season and only 1 pt less than Ehrhoff had in 2010-2011. Meanwhile, Ehrhoff dropped to 32 pts in 2011-2012....

I think everyone remembers that like it was yesterday. It's why every British Columbian is scratching their heads asking "what the hell happened to edler?"

After that LA series, I though Eddie was done. Just something about how he played. It was wierd, didn't look like a slump, nor lack of confidence... Just a bad player, a guy that didn't get it. He's only gotten worse.

He's not gonna rebound, probably just keep declining.

Do you want me to bring up his 2013-14 statistics?

Yep. While it's not a guarantee than Niskanen comes in and meshes well with Edler (and with the Sedins), as far as the UFA market goes, he's far and away the best option out there.

You're looking at one potential addition who could have a huge positive impact on the Canucks' team-wide performance (especially at the top of the lineup, both D and F).

As far as Edler goes, I completely understand how people get frustrated. I totally get how people are tired of hearing that Edler needs to play with "a certain type of player" and in "a certain type of role" for him to be effective.

The only thing I'd say is that myself and a few others have taken a fair amount of time to delve very deep into Edler's numbers and playing effectiveness over his entire career with Vancouver. There are few times (when looking at individual players) when the data is this clear.

If you liked Edler when he put-up around 50 points/season, played physical, took care of his own end, was a weapon on the PP, skated well, had a strong transition game, had great chemistry with the twins, and played with confidence in all aspects of his game, then you like Elder when he plays with the type of partner (and in the type of role) that we're talking about.

If you like that version of Edler, you should join the growing chorus of fans who are clamouring for this team to find Edler a right side partner who's a mobile PMD with great wheels, good puck handing skills, strong offensive instincts, and proven PP effectiveness.

Even if you want to move Edler, you should want the Canucks to first acquire this player.

One season with the right partner (and deployment/usage) and Edler's value will go through the roof. Right now, he's at an all-time low (which is the worst time to make a deal IMHO).

The Canucks should either: (1) find the right partner for Edler and then build their D around that pairing (for the long term), or

(2) find a good partner for Edler and then give them the kind of minutes that showcase Edler at his best--and then maximize his trade value at the deadline (or for the 2015 offseason--and just in time to grab extra picks for a stronger draft than this year).

Trading Edler for a bag of pucks might be addition by subtraction if we're talking about the Edler we've seen the last two seasons (although I don't agree with this, but I can see the argument). But I've seen far too much, after studying the issue, to that suggests the 2012-14 version of Edler is one of a player who's been misused and set-up for failure. And I've seen very convincing data that suggests Edler remains very fixable.

Let's fix him first. Then we can decide if we want to cash in on his (potentially much improved) trade value.

EDIT: typos and additions

Good points Sid.

Here is the trouble in looking at our D as a whole.

If the Canucks do go out and get that right side puck moving speedy offensive dman that they desperately need (and I fully think they should), then you have to figure out what you do with Bieksa and Tanev.

Hamhuis-Tanev - shutdown pairing

Edler-guy like Niskanen/Ehrhoff/etc. - offensive focus driving the play from our own end and on the PP

Garrison-Corrado OR Stanton-Bieksa - HERE is the issue

I would probably even be okay with Stanton-Corrado barring another signing.

That means either Bieksa has to go or Garrison does. Or both do.

Garrison needs a guy like Corrado to make him effective much like Edler needs a puck mover like Ehrhoff. That makes Bieksa somewhat expendable. Bieksa needs Hamhuis (which breaks up a tremendous shutdown pairing with Tanev) to be a top 4 guy under that scenario. And he is not good enough defensively to be a consistent 3rd pairing guy and his pride would likely not leave him wanting to be one. Likewise with Garrison, he would be a 3rd pairing guy and unless he is scoring and playing better than he has he is expendable in that role too.

The reality is that one of Edler, Bieksa, or Garrison needs to go. Or two of them.

I, for one, have not given up on Edler.

There was a period of time (albeit somewhat short) where he stopped producing well but he wasn't a total liability making bonehead plays, was still physical, and was at least contributing here and there.

Then his game completely fell apart, consistently making the worst plays I've seen in a long time from any Canuck, not being physical at all, and not scoring either. There is good reason so many have a poor opinion of him.

But with that said, I think earlier in his career we could see the kind of player he could become. And he's STILL that guy. He just needs to get his head screwed on properly again. Gain some confidence, and not be afraid to lay out guys like he did before. In my opinion, he still has all the tools and his early career was not a fluke; he just needs to get in the right place again mentally.

While I am not so doom and gloom about Edler's potential ability to bounce back, the past is not always a good indicator of the future. I mean, Jonathan Cheechoo says hello on that one.....lol

Good points Sid.

Here is the trouble in looking at our D as a whole.

If the Canucks do go out and get that right side puck moving speedy offensive dman that they desperately need (and I fully think they should), then you have to figure out what you do with Bieksa and Tanev.

Hamhuis-Tanev - shutdown pairing

Edler-guy like Niskanen/Ehrhoff/etc. - offensive focus driving the play from our own end and on the PP

Garrison-Corrado OR Stanton-Bieksa - HERE is the issue

I would probably even be okay with Stanton-Corrado barring another signing.

That means either Bieksa has to go or Garrison does. Or both do.

Garrison needs a guy like Corrado to make him effective much like Edler needs a puck mover like Ehrhoff. That makes Bieksa somewhat expendable. Bieksa needs Hamhuis (which breaks up a tremendous shutdown pairing with Tanev) to be a top 4 guy under that scenario. And he is not good enough defensively to be a consistent 3rd pairing guy and his pride would likely not leave him wanting to be one. Likewise with Garrison, he would be a 3rd pairing guy and unless he is scoring and playing better than he has he is expendable in that role too.

The reality is that one of Edler, Bieksa, or Garrison needs to go. Or two of them.

Excellent perspective Wally.

There was a game when they had 10 games left in the season competing for the playoffs when he played absolutely horrible, and then the next game he was like the2011 Edler, the game after he was back to the crap -40 one we saw this year.

I really don't care anymore. I think him and Kesler being shipped out will spark the rebuild we need.

All the talk from Linden suggests we're staying on track though. Maybe he's saying that just to retain value.

I think from trading Kesler and Edler we need to get a legit young guaranteed top 6 winger that can score 30 goals, a puck moving dman, and some form of another pick in the first round this year or next.

It all revolves around getting Garrison back to the left side for me, that means Edler either plays on the 3rd pairing or we trade him forp layers who can score.

Archived