The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nashville hires Peter Laviolette as head coach

He's an offensive coach who has never been in the bottom 10 scoring teams ever in his career. Stanley Cup in Carolina and has developed a lot if good talent in Philly. Very good coach.

Given what they are coming from with Tortz I think this is a great hiring by Nashville. If they can maintain their defensive poise they learned under Trotz while playing in Laviolette's more wide open system this could be a big win for the Preds.

Which is it, Tortz or Trotz ?

Past Canuck Captain, Kevin McCarthy will be an Asst Coach

Kevin McCarthy was one of my first favorite Canucks (if not the first) but I don't why (maybe hockey cards). He was pretty good though.

Laviolette would have fit the Canucks mould well, but we really need a defensive-first coach to fix up our big defensive holes. Garrison, Bieksa, Hamhuis and Edler should make up a Cup-contending defence, especially with Tanev in the fold but the last two coaches have exposed their weaknesses badly.

We need a coach who can build off our defence the way Minnesota's, LA's and Montreal's and Boston's do. They play a solid defence-first sort of style with opportunistic offence from their few stars to win games.

The perfect man who can do that is Trotz. He did it in Nashville and made the playoffs with a very weak team, and can do the same with a better Vancouver team.

Laviolette would have fit the Canucks mould well, but we really need a defensive-first coach to fix up our big defensive holes. Garrison, Bieksa, Hamhuis and Edler should make up a Cup-contending defence, especially with Tanev in the fold but the last two coaches have exposed their weaknesses badly.

We need a coach who can build off our defence the way Minnesota's, LA's and Montreal's and Boston's do. They play a solid defence-first sort of style with opportunistic offence from their few stars to win games.

The perfect man who can do that is Trotz. He did it in Nashville and made the playoffs with a very weak team, and can do the same with a better Vancouver team.

NO TO TROTZ!!! You don't recall #16 talking about returning the Canucks to an exciting brand of hockey last week?

But, if you're thinking the Canucks "need a defensive first coach" (didn't Trev just fire one of those last week?), Barry Trotz doesn't come to mind for me as much as John Stevens does. Specifically, a John Stevens/Terry Murray combination, which wouldn't be too far out of the realm of possibility of Stevens is back in the mix to coach this club. Remember, it was Murray's attention to detail at the defensive aspect of the game that made the Kings, in the opinion of many, the best defensive club in the NHL today. He and Stevens are close friends (Murray added Stevens to his staff in L.A. after John was sacked in Philly and succeeded by Laviolette), so, I wouldn't be surprised to see him added to the staff if we're indeed going to be beginning the John Stevens era this summer.

Archived