The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Weise says Lucic threatened him during handshake

J529

the thing about lucic is that we're talking about a kid of substandard intelligence, with a questionable upbringing in a rough neighbourhood, who's always been bigger than everyone else. he was destined to be a bully, and if it wasn't for hockey, he'd probably be dead or in jail.

the thing about lucic is that we're talking about a kid of substandard intelligence, with a questionable upbringing in a rough neighbourhood, who's always been bigger than everyone else. he was destined to be a bully, and if it wasn't for hockey, he'd probably be dead or in jail.

What I wanna know is .. who taught this cretin to skate? ..

You aren't seriously comparing Bert to Lucic are you? One of the dumbest things I've read in a while. Bert punched Moore cause of his cheap shot on Nazzy. Not cause he got hit a couple times "clean" like Emelin on Lucic or cause Weiss talked some baseless trash. Lucic sounds like a maniac.

He isn't talking about the circumstances leading up to the hit. He means Bertuzzi hit Moore because Bert lost his sh** and couldn't control himself. I agree with that post because Lucic could do that too.

the thing about lucic is that we're talking about a kid of substandard intelligence...

You mean, "the thing about jocks..." Honestly, I don't get all the hubbub about this. Sure, probably in the handshake line you should probably accept defeat and move forward. However, what he said is nothing different then what is said on a completely regular basis in hockey, or the NFL for that matter. These are jocks we're talking about. Just because they are grown men, that doesn't change anything. You know those meatheads you see in the gym that you roll your eyes at? Yeah, those are professional athletes, just with far less money. No different.

Don't lump them all into a Lucic category, that's unfair and untrue. Sedins wouldn't pull that crap. Actually, I don't know a single Canuck who wouldn't let it go at handshakes. Did our guys do this with the Bruins, even though they rolled over us? Ran Lu every chance they got? No, they didn't. Again, you have to give examples if your statement is to be accepted. I don't know of any...

There are "dumb jocks" and there are professional athletes. Lucic was raging by what's shown in the video. I, too, thought of roid rage.

The reason it's talked about is because it comes on the heels of those stick to groin shots. And some stuff in the public downtown in the wee hours. It's becoming a pattern for him. The other guys aren't doing that stuff.

Bitter Leafs fan whose team didn't even make the playoffs and blew it against Bruins. Habs did what Leafs couldn't do.

You're acting like the Canucks are in the middle of a playoff run right now lol.

In the end both our teams couldn't get it done.

Last I checked the Bruins got the best of the Canucks in 2011.

I guess I'm the only fan here that prefers when the teams genuinely hate each other.Beats asking for the other guys stick I'd say.

Shaking someone's hand is a sign of respect. If you're going to threaten someone at the same time, you're being a hypocrite. You also are a coward because you're putting the person you threatened in a situation where they don't have a chance to stand up for themselves without sinking to your level.

I don't get why Lucic hates Emelin. Because he body checked him a few times?

Assuming you don't catch many Canadiens games.

Emelin is well hated throughout the Eastern conference. He's a low bridge artist and a rat.

The way you guys feel about Duncan Keith is how Leafs, Bruins, and other fans feel about Emelin.

You're acting like the Canucks are in the middle of a playoff run right now lol.

In the end both our teams couldn't get it done.

Last I checked the Bruins got the best of the Canucks in 2011.

And everyone has 'done it to the Leafs' since '67 .. your point being that 'misery loves company'?? .. why not spend yer day on the Bruins Forum and 'suck up all that self-pity' .. go ahead, son .. wallow in it!

Assuming you don't catch many Canadiens games.

Emelin is well hated throughout the Eastern conference. He's a low bridge artist and a rat.

The way you guys feel about Duncan Keith is how Leafs, Bruins, and other fans feel about Emelin.

Can you post a video of Emilin administering a low bridge? I'd like to see if you even know what it means.

I grew up in Lucic's neighborhood. It wasn't bad at all.

Don't lump them all into a Lucic category, that's unfair and untrue. Sedins wouldn't pull that crap. Actually, I don't know a single Canuck who wouldn't let it go at handshakes. Did our guys do this with the Bruins, even though they rolled over us? Ran Lu every chance they got? No, they didn't. Again, you have to give examples if your statement is to be accepted. I don't know of any...

There are "dumb jocks" and there are professional athletes. Lucic was raging by what's shown in the video. I, too, thought of roid rage.

The reason it's talked about is because it comes on the heels of those stick to groin shots. And some stuff in the public downtown in the wee hours. It's becoming a pattern for him. The other guys aren't doing that stuff.

Sorry deb, but it isn't "unfair and untrue." Yes, there are SOME atheletes that have class and are true ambassadors of the game, but those guys are not the norm. For every Swedish/Finnish player, and let's be honest, they are quite classy (who are not the majority in the NHL), you get boorish brutes. These guys are modern day gladiators (same with NFL), who are bred to play through pain and are raging with testosterone. I am by no means a jock, but I certainly was between the ages of 10-17 when I played hockey as a goalie. And the way I was on the ice was not a terrific person. Off the ice, completely different. But competitive sports, especially with men, bring out the best and worst. Back when I played, I had players slash me shaking hands, to a coach spitting on me. My reaction? And my reaction, along with my teammates when we lost? Lots, and lots of swearing in that line at the end. No love lost, that's for sure. You see it in beer league nowadays as well. Professional athletes are no different. Just because they are called "professionals" doesn't mean we should now put them in the same field as other professionals (ie: Lawyers, Doctors, Bankers, etc). They are just jocks getting paid to be jocks. The classy players are not the norm. They are the exception to the rule.

Sorry deb, but it isn't "unfair and untrue." Yes, there are SOME atheletes that have class and are true ambassadors of the game, but those guys are not the norm. For every Swedish/Finnish player, and let's be honest, they are quite classy (who are not the majority in the NHL), you get boorish brutes. These guys are modern day gladiators (same with NFL), who are bred to play through pain and are raging with testosterone. I am by no means a jock, but I certainly was between the ages of 10-17 when I played hockey as a goalie. And the way I was on the ice was not a terrific person. Off the ice, completely different. But competitive sports, especially with men, bring out the best and worst. Back when I played, I had players slash me shaking hands, to a coach spitting on me. My reaction? And my reaction, along with my teammates when we lost? Lots, and lots of swearing in that line at the end. No love lost, that's for sure. You see it in beer league nowadays as well. Professional athletes are no different. Just because they are called "professionals" doesn't mean we should now put them in the same field as other professionals (ie: Lawyers, Doctors, Bankers, etc). They are just jocks getting paid to be jocks. The classy players are not the norm. They are the exception to the rule.

And that my friends is why fewer parents are putting their children in minor hockey.

I don't agree at all. And yours wasn't at the pro level - there are expectations in how you carry yourself there. It's different than beer and other leagues that can go unchecked. Or supposed to be - seems we're heading in that direction.

My ex played hockey for many years - I know the drill. But once the series is over, you suck it up and even with the hostility present, you react with dignity and sportsmanship. Sure, during a series and before it's over - those handshakes set the tone for the next game. Absolutely, they'll be anything but pleasantries and messages are sent - "getcha next game". Mind games. But that's DURING and in the heat of...when it's all in the books, it ends there. You lose (or win). It's settled/done.

I tend to believe (and I watch a whole lot of hockey) that this is the exception, not the norm. I don't see too many guys with the sort of seething rage Lucic displayed...most have a "well done, congratulations" message once it's over.

Archived