The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks wont ask Alex Edler to waive NTC

AriGold

I'm not saying either are being traded I just think Bieksa is safer than Hamhuis.

In no way is it even implied in my post that Hamhuis is/was the problem and should/would be traded.

Just that Bieksa is as safe or safer than Hammer. IMO Neither of them are going anywhere.

i believe Trevor is taking a bit of what Quinn captured in the 90's with a solid base of homegrowns accentuated by skilled euros

i believe Trevor is taking a bit of what Quinn captured in the 90's with a solid base of homegrowns accentuated by skilled euros

Hope not. Quinn wasn't a much better GM than Gillis really.Hopefully "Trevor" lets Benning run things and do things his way rather than try to copy a formula that didn't work. Don't care where a players from, just what he can do.

Eberle IS already a 40 goal scorer...i'm not trying to argue ...but two unprover players do not equate to a canadian clutch player...Eberle is one of those "Special" players , when given the chance he can elevate his game to a level beyond his thought of skill set

No dude, I hear you. Hes not a 40 goal scorer but he has netted 34 already in his young career. I am way out on a limb .........but its MY limb and lets see how it plays out. :P

I think Ehlers and Nylander are quality players but yes its a tough threshold to leap.

That article tells me a lot,

The Edler quote where he talks about trusting his instincts yells me that he's the type of person that needs to NOT think about what he's doing to access his best.

This is a very common trait of right brain people, they must bypass their left brain thinking center to perform.

It's clear how having a coach ask him to constantly be thinking about what he's doing would destroy his game.

Most people may not relate to this, but I certainly do, working in the music business I encounter it all the time, Certain people, when micro-managed, can't perform. It's then up to the producer (or in this case the coach) to pull the necessary perfomance out of them, without asking them to constantly self-analyize.

Edler just got a pass with me.

Very interesting information .. thanks for that.

Hope not. Quinn wasn't a much better GM than Gillis really.Hopefully "Trevor" lets Benning run things and do things his way rather than try to copy a formula that didn't work. Don't care where a players from, just what he can do.

uhm...Quinn had a little budget and he was way better than Gillis...Quinn will be in the hall of fame ..Gillis...not so much.

but that is beside the point ...in a money era you have to be able to play the home card...Minnesota is doing it quite successfully right now , and not with only homegrown talent but also talent that was developed there

I think all 5 will likely stay and we add a PMD, Corrado 7th or minors.

I still like our D if coached better.

100% unrealistic but my dream scenario would be to trade Tanev, 6, + to Florida for Ekblad. And then we trade Kesler to Pitts for Pouliot +. We could look at a 6 of Ekblad, Hamhuis, Poulot, Cederholm, Stanton, Corrado. Tank for Mcdavid, boooom. I'm not a fan of our current D

“He’s got all the tools to be a dominant No. 1 defenceman,” Linden said Tuesday from Ottawa where he addressed a Canadian Men’s Health Foundation national launch of a fitness initiative.

If I had a nickel for everytime I heard this...

uhm...Quinn had a little budget and he was way better than Gillis...Quinn will be in the hall of fame ..Gillis...not so much.

but that is beside the point ...in a money era you have to be able to play the home card...Minnesota is doing it quite successfully right now , and not with only homegrown talent but also talent that was developed there

We're going to agree to disagree on most of this but Quinn will not be in the Hall of fame based on being the GM of the Canucks. He was a mediocre GM at best for this team and a quick look at the moves he made look oddly similar to some of the bumbles gillis made over the last 3 years.

I think all 5 will likely stay and we add a PMD, Corrado 7th or minors.

I still like our D if coached better.

Where do you fit in a puck mover if they all stay?

Hamhuis-Tanev

Edler-Puck Mover

Garrison-Bieksa

Neither Garrison nor Bieksa will want to be a 3rd pairing guy. And there is no sense getting a 3rd pairing puck mover. They need a guy who can play big minutes in all situations if they want Edler to actually reach his former glory.

I personally think you take the bounty for Bieksa and give Corrado that spot or you trade Garrison and have Stanton-Bieksa as your 3rd pairing. I would not even be upset to see both Garrison and Bieksa traded and Stanton-Corrado as the 3rd pairing if the puck mover is a premium one.

I'm glad Edler's staying. With the right coach he can be a very effective player, just like we've seen in the past.

As for Garrison, I've always felt that he's expendable. I don't think he should be bought out, but if he's willing to waive, then I wouldn't mind a trade. Although I think that's unlikely to happen.

If were trading a defenceman away, its either Garrison, Tanev or both. Edler is still young on a great contract considering what UFA defencemen are getting these days.

Yup, defenseman that are responsible for a goal against/game in their prime are had to come by these days...they don't just grow on trees.

Canucks not asking Edler to waive is implied by the writer, not a direct quote from Linden.

It sounds to me that TL wants to see what Edler does in the new season. Like a few others, Edler had an awful season last year and needs to have a chance to redeem himself. A win/win for the Nucks if Edler pulls it together: his trade value goes up or he helps the team win games.

Also, no way Nucks waive Garry. What a freaking waste that would be. Despite would some fans think, JG has value and other teams would want him.

Where do you fit in a puck mover if they all stay?

Hamhuis-Tanev

Edler-Puck Mover

Garrison-Bieksa

Neither Garrison nor Bieksa will want to be a 3rd pairing guy. And there is no sense getting a 3rd pairing puck mover. They need a guy who can play big minutes in all situations if they want Edler to actually reach his former glory.

I personally think you take the bounty for Bieksa and give Corrado that spot or you trade Garrison and have Stanton-Bieksa as your 3rd pairing. I would not even be upset to see both Garrison and Bieksa traded and Stanton-Corrado as the 3rd pairing if the puck mover is a premium one.

Obviously it would depend on whether it was a player who rides the left or right side with how we deploy them.

Idk, Wally, I think having 6 deep this year might be the way to go. We have questions in net, there are poor F UFAs, and we don't know what we can do to improve up front rather than from within. Having a steady 6 might be the plan. Corrado is still very young and raw so he hasn't forced himself into the lineup yet especially with our cap space. That may happen over the next calendar year but it hasn't yet. It might not be the right time to make a move.

Because I don't ever advocate ranking a roster, and I'm quite confident the management group agrees, I think they'll try to give the new coach the best tools they can to start the year. In many ways it makes sense to allow the coach to dictate who doesn't fit into their system, if we're going to bank on him for multiple years. After such dramatic changes I can imagine there will be some stability in the dressing room for a bit.

Ultimately, if a player is unhappy about their being pushed down the depth chart, due to role or lack of playing time, that may be the best way to facilitate a deal, regardless of who that player is.

Put me on record...by the beginning of next season we will know if benning is tweeking ( still believes he can transition with the core ), re-building ( major core deals by adding youth ) or caught between a rock and a hard place left by gillis's mess and overhaul is about to take place: leaving the club both competive but unsustainable by not rushing into anything drastic....

Archived