The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Interview) Jim Benning on TEAM1040

TheRussianRocket.

He has a No Movement Clause so doubtful he'd sign off on coming out West.

Trade Kesler for Couturier or Schenn plus a 1st and Lecavalier and the just buy out Lecavalier before the playoffs end and the Ownership just bought a first round pick/schenn or Courturier

Trade Kesler for Couturier or Schenn plus a 1st and Lecavalier and the just buy out Lecavalier before the playoffs end and the Ownership just bought a first round pick/schenn or Courturier

considering the buyout period doesn't even open until 48 hours after the playoffs are over ...

- Deciding if they will use their last compliance buyout. Window is only a few days as it will close after the Cup finals.

yeah, the guys summary was wrong. the buyout period opens either june 15 or 48 hours after the last day of the playoffs, whichever comes later.

yeah, the guys summary was wrong. the buyout period opens either june 15 or 48 hours after the last day of the playoffs, whichever comes later.

Makes it more plausible then. Lecavalier doesn't need to come west he can be told he will just be bought out and waive his NMC Canucks can get a good young centre and a 1st round pick.

The only issue would be Kesler waiving but seeing as how it appears he wants to be traded his should widen his range of teams.

I wonder if, since it looks like we will free up most of the cap from Kes, that we keep Booth and try to sell our compliance buyout to a team that has used both already, like Philly or Toronto.

I'd be curious to know what the market price is to take someone's garbage.

I don't think it has been done. Never heard that a buyout was sellable. Makes sense that it should be.

I don't think it has been done. Never heard that a buyout was sellable. Makes sense that it should be.

It's not. What he means is that we can orchestrate a deal where we take on someone else's lousy contract with the intention to buy them out, and are compensated for it with other assets from that team. The player to be bought out is a negative-value asset so more has to come our way along with him.

It's not. What he means is that we can orchestrate a deal where we take on someone else's lousy contract with the intention to buy them out, and are compensated for it with other assets from that team. The player to be bought out is a negative-value asset so more has to come our way along with him.

Yeah, there hasn't been a situation such as this one where you can buyout players without having the negative effects of the buyout on your cap hit. It's basically trading money for assets.

Seems like all GM's are afraid to try this out. Did Bettman/BOG secretly warn the gang?

Until he and two other Canucks were crosschecked by the same player, Santorelli was a very pleasant surprise. If the Canucks don't offer him a contract, I think 29 others will. FA's won't come as cheaply as Santorelli either, he wants to play here. Too bad he wasn't about 3 inches taller. Loads of skill though, and that's what Benning wants.

LOL Santorelli is 6ft tall. Seems to be a good enough height for "Mr. Game 7" Justin Wlliamms.

People are waaaayyy over obsessed with size, it's hilarious.

Now 6ft tall is short... smh.

LOL Santorelli is 6ft tall. Seems to be a good enough height for "Mr. Game 7" Justin Wlliamms.

People are waaaayyy over obsessed with size, it's hilarious.

Now 6ft tall is short... smh.

I've stood face to face with Santorelli, if he's 6ft tall, I'll buy you a beer. I used to be 6ft, but over the years, well.....

Worst part about moving to Ontario is having to remember that y'all are in a different time zone. I was looking at the time here (3:20) and was like "The hell? The interview ended hours ago! Where's all the important information!? Tell me what he said!"

Hey, as the game starts its 8:21 AM here Sat morning.

Sounds like Kesler is gone and that Benning is contemplating on moving 6th.

Santorelli could be re-signed especially if Kesler is traded. There might be better players in FA though.

Santo is a no brainer signing unless near $3 mill or more... (which I doubt). Let him be our Darren Helm...

Since it looks like Kesler is gone, Santorelli would be a great stop-gap 2C until someone else can step up.

Maybe we go back to a 3C / 3rd line defensive system? Higgins / Santo / Hansen is a great defensive line. Load offense and size on 2knd line which poses a ? as to who to play against the Twins with Burr; Jensen / Mathias / Kassian.

Didn't hear the interview, but did Benning mention Mike Johnston? I don't see him leaving a very good position in Portland.

Johnston would be a great choice. Slow patient approach with the Twins. Was he not around for the original rookie years of Edler, Kesler, Burrows etc???

I wonder if, since it looks like we will free up most of the cap from Kes, that we keep Booth and try to sell our compliance buyout to a team that has used both already, like Philly or Toronto.

I think Philly can find a buyer for Lecavalier eating very little of his salary in a standard trade. Philly has Schenn, Giroux, and Couts. But very few teams would not have Vinny in their top 2.

Trade that makes a ton of sense for both? Vinny to St Louis for Bouwmeester. Vinny plus for Shatenkirk, maybe plus plus... OK, lets stick with BoMo.

Fair enough but you never know.

It might be preferable to his ego than being bought out twice in a year.

LOL, Lecavalier might love it? How much did he get paid last year? Last year he got paid 1/3rd of $10,000,000 from TB plus $6 mill from Philly and banked 1/3rd of $10 mill from TB to be paid later. $12.6 I believe left him second only to Weber in overall income last year?

All told he is / was owed 2/3rds of $45 mill from TB and is owed no less than 2/3 rds of the $16,5mill owed to him by Philly.

Buyout? His cap hit is $4.5. Anyone really believe he would not get more than $3 mill on the open market? Bring it on!

Can you actually "trade" the compliance buy-out, minister? If that's the case, that would be make trading a little more interesting for the Canucks (i.e., gives the Canucks another asset to deal, especially, as you say to teams that have burn their two up already).

Back to Ministers point of rescuing a buyout lacking team. But after Booth and Ballard (cash trades, but we kept the player), and the reduced season tickets; If I were Aquaman I would knock it back. It makes sense business when you can anticipate replacing the income. Right now???

But if so, TO is a stronger possibility.

Or a simple hockey trade of an excess asset probably helps them as well. Gardiner for a 2knd?

Archived