The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Confirmed] Willie Desjardin: VAN Head Coach

Strombone1

Report: Desjardins, Canucks near multi-year deal

Sportsnet: Luke Fox June 20, 2014, 2:05 PM

Willie Desjardins is on the verge of accepting a multi-year contract to become the Vancouver Canucks’ new head coach, according to a report Friday:

According to Sportsnet’s Dan Murphy, the Canucks had interviewed Mike Johnston, Peter Horachek, Marc Crawford and Dan Bylsma for John Tortorella’s old post. There were plans to speak with both Scott Arniel and Desjardins as well.

A long-believed frontrunner to succeed Tortorella, the 57-year-old Desjardins led his AHL Texas Stars to the Calder Cup championship Tuesday but skipped the team’s celebration Thursday.

Desjardins interviewed with the Pittsburgh Penguins via telephone Wednesday, according to Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman.

If Desjardins is hired, this will be his first NHL head coaching job.

“The most important qualification is the toughest one to identify, and that’s the ability to connect with the players and get them to play for him,” Linden told Sportsnet Thursday of Vancouver’s search for a coach. “You look at past performances from their teams. You try to judge the person. Get a sense of who they are, what they are, how authentic and genuine they are and try to pick up on that. You try to talk to players who’ve played for that coach and had experience with that person.”

Linden said there is a good chance a new coach will be announced prior to next Friday’s draft.

The Canucks fired Tortorella on May 1 after he posted a 36-35-11 record and missed the playoffs in his lone season with the club. The Canucks had just 13 wins in the 41 games since Jan. 1 and finished 25th overall.

TribLive.com’s Rob Rossi reported Friday that the Penguins missed out on their first choice for their new coach.

“The guy I had is going to go in a different direction,” general manager Jim Rutherford told Rossi Friday afternoon. He did not name the finalist. “I’ll work off the same list I had, but it will be expanded by two or three names that for whatever reason weren’t considered for interviews the last time.”

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 2m

Nothing signed yet, but Willie Desjardins will be in VAN this weekend. Assuming all goes as expected, he'll be introduced as coach next wk.

That's probably what people should be listening to. Nothing is signed or finalized lol... Let's not jump the gun !

Remember how many people on here wanted Eakins last year, the " unproven " coach at the NHL level ?

I think the Canucks are putting a solid structured vision in place here, but will be interesting to see how this plays out for sure.

I love the way this organization is going with the hiring of knowledgeable humble hockey people!

Linden= Humble

Benning= Humble

Desjardins= Humble (by all accounts)

My 2 favorite players of all time are Yzerman and Sakic! Humble and Classy!

Like... OMG. Did you just like... predict a cup?

So what? How else is Linden supposed to get information past the intrusive parasites that make up the majority of press in this city?

Anyone who lies to the media is fine by me, especially considering how the media likes to alter their "facts".

Linden is acting in the best interests of the team, by keeping the media at arms length. Being butthurt about Linden lying is just sad.

Archived