The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elliot Friedman 30 Thoughts: Canucks ha have made offer for 1st overall pick

All you're doing is trolling and you have no idea what you're talking about.

All you're doing is trolling and you have no idea what you're talking about.

Like you know so much huh

so you think Sedin's will put up 100 point playing with Kassian or Jensen?

Imo no.

Tanev keeps getting better add in Shink and Ehlers and we would be setting up Florida very nicely.

I really wish a Kesler deal was done it would give us more chips to gamble with

Exactly!!! The way I look at it is this trade would basically be giving them 3 future pieces to their core...for 1. Nope! 2 and a B prospect (Gaunce, Jensen) are doable. That's it. I say we just pick Virtanen, Ehlers, Nylander, or Ritchie. I am thinking Virtanen or Nylander the most. Both fill needs for this team. Really interested in Nylander, but thinking Virtanen will be the guy.

I believe the Kesler trade will be an important part in what happens on draft day. Trading Kesler first, and knowing what Benning can get in that deal may give him more certainty on whom he can afford to give up and how he can replace what we've lost without hurting the team.

they will improve but they are not good enough to be on 1st line with Sedin's

You do realize that there's a level in between a third liner and a guy good enough to be on the first line, right? It's called a second liner. In case you haven't been paying attention, the team could use a couple of those guys.

Especially when they're already third liners (and I think should be second liners barring a top 6 winger coming in via trade/UFA).

I think Kassian will for sure be on the 2nd line this year. Jensen I think could play with the Sedins unless we make a move for a legit first liner. Here's how I see it:

_____ - Sedin - Jensen

Sedin - _____ - Kassian

Higgins - Horvat - Burrows

Matthias - Richardson - Hansen/Santorelli

I personally walk away from these negotiatons (at the prices being batted around) and don'tt give it a second thought unless the phone rings with something reasonable.

Dealing three assets like Tanev, Shinkaruk, and a 6th overall to move up 5 spots is not worth it imo.

I'd be willing to do something like the 6th and another 1st in this year's draft if one were acquired in the Kesler deal, but would not give up a young roster player, a steal of a late round pick like Shinkaruk and the 6th. Would be much more inclined to take that 6th and be happy as hell with it.

I think Kassian will for sure be on the 2nd line this year. Jensen I think could play with the Sedins unless we make a move for a legit first liner. Here's how I see it:

_____ - Sedin - Jensen

Sedin - _____ - Kassian

Yeah, I think one of them will have to play on the first line unless Burrows rebounds in a big way, but their level of development suggests they should be on the second line if at all possible.

Kassian played well with Mathias and Richardson but not with Sedins or Kesler. Thats all

No one has played well with Kesler in ages. The Sedins were hurt all year and weren't producing with anyone. The problem wasn't Kassian; it was the Sedins and Kesler.

_____ - Sedin - Jensen

Sedin - _____ - Kassian

Like this a lot, but maybe keep the Sedins together they need a chance to rebound this season and prove people that they can still play.

Toews was 3rd overall

One thing you need to think of is, none of those picks were traded at the draft. Why? Because they were all sure things. We don't have that this year and most rankings have Reinhart falling to 4 if FLA keeps the pick.

Shinkaruk is also a special case, the 2013 draft was said to be the deepest draft since 2003. In 2003 at 23 Ryan Kesler was drafted at 24 mike Richards was picked. Hmm now that trade isn't looking as good. Lets take it even further

If Shinkaruk last year, was put into this years draft he's likely find himself in the top 10, possible top 5. For arguments sake like say he be at 7th, Now you'd be trading this years 6th and 7th for a player that may find himself at 4th. It sure doesn't make a lot of sense trading both those picks to move up only 2 spots.

Now lets also think about the drafting rating process

At the start of the year. Nylander was ranked 2nd behind Reinhart. got off to a slow first half of the season but finished with a solid end and ended up falling to the 6-10th. Were going to judge a players next 15 years based on a bad 10-15 games he played at the start of one year. If he could have got off to a good pace at the start of the season he'd likely be in the top 3 still.

Ehlers on the other hand played his first season in NA, prior to this season he was on no scouts radar. After a solid season he's now ranked in the same area 6-10. If Ehlers came to NA when he was 15 and not just in his draft year, he'd also be in the talk of the top 5. So now were not just trading the 6th were also trading players that could very well be in the conversation for best players in the draft. Along with another player that would fit in the conversation of top 10 this year,

Now lets talk about Reinhart and the company you put him in:

Crosby, Tavares, Stamkos, Ovi, Malkin and even Kane out up league dominating numbers. Most were putting up a pace of 2+ ppg in the year prior to their draft. For these players yes I would trade two top 10 picks, but sorry but Reinhart doesn't fall into that category. He may very well turn out to be a great player but there is still a lot of risk in that. Too much risk to take in trading two other prospects with high end potential.

Yeah but you are the one pretending that you know how all these guys are going to turn out where as I'm relying on statistics and probability. Shinkaruk would not go top 10 this year IMO.

I guess we will see though. My reasoning is that Reinhart will be a great NHLer for years and years where as out of Ehlers, Nylander, Rictchie, Virtanen, and Kapanen 3 out of the 5 may not pan out or be mediocre. Now the one that does excel may be as good as Reinhart and Shinkaruk is a bonus or both he and the 6th pick might both fizzle out.

I like Shinkaruk but I think several people here are over-rating him. He went 24th, a strong draft doesn't indicate a difference of 17 spots in the first round.

Warhippy and I are not against a trade to get Reinhart but at some point you have to draw the line. Every year it's a insane price for the #1 pick hence why it's very rarely moved.

This exactly.

At some point the subtraction is to great for the addition to overcome

_____ - Sedin - Jensen

Sedin - _____ - Kassian

Burr-Sedin-Jensen

Sedin-Statsny-Kassian

Higgins-Santo-Horvat

Matthias-Richardson-Hansen

?

_____ - Sedin - Jensen

Sedin - _____ - Kassian

Jensen needs to earn top 6 minutes the same way Kassian has earned it. Rookie's rarely start on the first line, even Mackinnon was on the Avs third line for 20 or so games.

Switch Jensen with Burrows or UFA, and put Sedins on the same line.

Archived