The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[UPDATED] Invites to Canucks 2014 Prospect Summer Development Camp

I was there today at UBC watching the boys go through skills and power skating today.

I basically got a good look at mostly all the key guys we are intrigued about and I can say that I was surprised in some ways,

Horvat - He was the first on the ice for the 1st skills session today and I have to say I was impressed. I was at the Summit last year and I can say that he's improved extensively in confidence and his all around game (obviously there weren't any battle or 1 on 1 drills), skating and shooting wise. Someone pointed out earlier that he look slower than McCann, I have to disagree. He was definitely a step ahead of everyone in his group today.

McCann - A player I was very excited for and watched very carefully today; however, i was a little disappointed in what I saw. He had his moments, or should I say moment, and the rest he was very passive, weary almost. He looked too cautious out there and he was definitely fighting the puck a lot; missing passes, losing control of pucks around turns and miss firing on many shots. The only bright spot out of him today was definitely seeing him skate, he has electrifying foot speed and I believe he almost looks like a mason raymond +

Gaunce - I didn't see much of Gaunce today, as I went for a little coffee break when his group was on the ice, but from the 10 minutes I watched him, he looked a lot quicker and stronger than in years past. In the warm up skills he was quick in the dekes and came out with control. I remember the knock on him was that he didn't compete very hard/foot speed wasn't up there but today showed what he may lack in overall speed he's making up for that in quickness.

Shinkaruk - For someone who's barely been in the gym, let alone the ice, Shinkaruk definitely looked good today. I overhead Benning, as he was litterally standing over me. "he hasn't done any cardio since coming back", which is surprising to me as he din't look any more tired than the next guy. He did look stiff but that's expected. He looks to be using a shorter stick again and it shows because his hands are lightning quick. He was definitely the best I saw today do the warm up stickhandling drills.

If you guys want any other brief first impression scouting reports, let me know.

Also he's a video of a McCann snipe that I captured today:

Thanks for the first day impressions, jungle...keep 'em coming.

WTF #71 6'3 240??? typo or is this big buffs long lost brother.?

edit. looks like he is actually 6'5 not 6'3.

How did Stewart move on the ice?

How big did he look compared to Tryamkin? Benning had quoted Tryamkin as being 6'7" 260 lbs.

Would be an unbelievably tough d to play against if both are able to play in the NHL...couple of NFL linebacker/CFL defensive linemen sized d-men...beautiful. Big, nasty, and able to play...we need more guys with these attributes.

They may not want to, but I think it's going to be pretty hard keeping him off the big club this year. Anything to report on the future D -- Hutton, Cederholm, and Tryamkin?

I agree. He looks determined and it shows in the drills; first in line, competing in summer camp.

Hutton - He was another guy I had high hopes for. I don't know if it's because its the 1st day of a 4 or 5 day camp, but it looked like he took it lightly today. Either the guy is just that smooth on the ice, or the guy was going 75-80% today. Good size and a good skater; overall I was pleased with him

Cederholm - After signing him a little while back, I thought the Canucks saw something raw in him that I didn't see prior. They must really be looking hard because he is VERY raw. I believe he still needs to grow into his body because he looks very awkward; adjectives linked to the later discussed Tryamkin. Nothing in his game really stands out and I was very disappointed in his skill set. His skating was fine but he was missing players with passes in no pressure drills and his shot is very underwhelming.

Tryamkin - Here we go. Probably the most intriguing guy today and boy was I ever surprised; in a good way. He is big, he can skate, he can shoot and did I mention he's big? He had a tough start, I believe it was indicative of him not understanding english and being the first in line to do drills; Mike Zelewoski definitely gave Tryamkin a few pick me ups after he screwed up a few drills and he looked great for the rest of the skills skate. I believe he had the 2nd heaviest shot today and he looked very poised after he got settled in. I can't wait to see him in the scrimmage and pre-season!!!

Stewart - So i mentioned before that Tryamkin had the 2nd hardest shot of the camp today, so I guess I have to mention who had the hardest. It was by far Mackenze Stewart. I had to move seats because i was scared he was going to break the glass in Father Bauer Arena for god's sake. Definitely raw but I guess we have a plethora of young D now so he can nurture for however long he wants.

I was there today at UBC watching the boys go through skills and power skating today.

I basically got a good look at mostly all the key guys we are intrigued about and I can say that I was surprised in some ways,

Horvat - He was the first on the ice for the 1st skills session today and I have to say I was impressed. I was at the Summit last year and I can say that he's improved extensively in confidence and his all around game (obviously there weren't any battle or 1 on 1 drills), skating and shooting wise. Someone pointed out earlier that he look slower than McCann, I have to disagree. He was definitely a step ahead of everyone in his group today.

Gaunce - I didn't see much of Gaunce today, as I went for a little coffee break when his group was on the ice, but from the 10 minutes I watched him, he looked a lot quicker and stronger than in years past. In the warm up skills he was quick in the dekes and came out with control. I remember the knock on him was that he didn't compete very hard/foot speed wasn't up there but today showed what he may lack in overall speed he's making up for that in quickness.

Shinkaruk - For someone who's barely been in the gym, let alone the ice, Shinkaruk definitely looked good today. I overhead Benning, as he was litterally standing over me. "he hasn't done any cardio since coming back", which is surprising to me as he din't look any more tired than the next guy. He did look stiff but that's expected. He looks to be using a shorter stick again and it shows because his hands are lightning quick. He was definitely the best I saw today do the warm up stickhandling drills.

Nice reporting JS -thx. I see these 3 as the Nucks top prospects and am happy to see they didn't disappoint! Nice to hear that each of them have improved from last year. Just goes to show how much these young guys can develop in just a year.

With the criticism of Horvat's skating, I'm glad that you saw an improvement there. Same with Guance.

Shinks has an amazing personality. The guy's a giver. I think he's going to be an amazing player in the upcoming years.

Shinks has an amazing personality. The guy's a giver. I think he's going to be an amazing player in the upcoming years.

This is what I think many of those who believe the trade rumours don't get -- we haven't had a player with that sort of enthusiasm and drive since someone who came from overseas 20-some years ago. He nearly made the team last year and will make a big push again this year because he's a competitor and is driven to perform.

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Canucks+prospects/10009130/story.html

Here is a link to some photos of a few players at the development camp today, not sure if anyone is interested but its always nice seeing some pics to see the guys

Most notables are Bo Horvat, Nikita Tryamkin, Thatcher Demko, Dane Fox, and Hunter Shinkaruk

Anything on Forsling? What about Demko?

Forsling - Sadly, he was also in the group with Gaunce so I din't get to see much of him. Seeing as though I didn't actually notice him without checking individually at jersey numbers says alot of about him right now; he didn't stand out, contrary to Jordan Subban. Forsling, however, was very smooth. If he isn't dynamic in any way, yet, which makes him somewhat invisible it is misleading because he is a very sound prospect in my opinion because he has a calmness to his game that you can't teach (Tanev/Corrado).

Subban - Such a shame really. I had a hunch that he was going to be the steal of last year's draft because I thought he was going to have a magical growth spurt last year and come to camp standing 6 0". That would have the entire Canucks nation salivating because what he lacks in size he does not lack in skill, because this guy can puck. He's quick, fast and can shoot the puck; if only he was 2 or 3" taller he'd be right up there with his brother

Demko - I'm going to fray from scouting goalies as my knowledge for goalies, to put it lightly, sucks; I mean, my favourite goalie growing up was Dan Cloutier (yikes.. and he's our goalie consultant too). However, him being the only Canucks property here at camp I did glance over to the goalie side of things to check him out. He was put up against O'Connor, who looks like he's 25, and he definitely out dueled him. He seems to have quick feet but I feel like you can beat him on the glove side and he doesn't have very good rebound control, but that's kind of expected for a big guy. Please take my assessment of Demko with a grain of salt because I'm a player myself, so I can only relate and evaluate based on how I view the game to be played. Plus, Goalies are kinda weird anyways.

-JS

Guest Dasein

Sadly, Benning knows what he's talking about IMO.

Shinkaruk has the best hands out of all our prospects. We all know that. He has the best skills period. That's a given, so let's not focus on that - because in that category, Shinkaruk is more than NHL-ready.

However, skills aren't the only thing you need to play in the NHL.

What Shinkaruk doesn't have, as Benning said, is the conditioning. There is no doubt that is the biggest thing (perhaps the only thing) holding him back right now.

I'm not surprised that Shinkaruk didn't look any more tired than the next guy today. Firstly, it's a drill, not a game - not as tiring. Secondly, his comparisons are other prospects - of course he doesn't look out of place in terms of conditioning - none of these guys (except maybe Horvat and Gaunce) have the conditioning to keep up in the NHL. So he should look normal. If he laboured even just a little bit compared to this group, that would be very concerning.

If you go back in the Shinkaruk thread to around last year's pre-season, some people were so mesmerized by his skills that they overlooked how fast he tired during games. I repeatedly said to those who thought he should make the team that Shinkaruk has the skills but he won't make the team because he lacks strength and conditioning.

If he hasn't done any cardio since the surgery, that means it's only gotten worse since last year. If that's the case, there is absolutely no chance Shinkaruk makes the team this year.

I'm not blaming him for not having done cardio since the surgery. I'm not questioning his work ethic either. I've met him in person and I think he's a great guy and will become a good NHL player in the future. I just think it's unfortunate that because of the injury, it looks like Shinkaruk's development was pushed back since he wasn't able to work on the biggest thing that was holding him back from making the NHL (if he was healthy, he might have been able to work on his conditioning and make the team out of camp next season).

Does anyone find it staggering how many left shot prospects we seems to have. Aside from Virtanen I can't even think of the next right shot forward prospect we have. Aside from Subban on D, i can't think of another right shot D (excluding Corrado since he's pro)

Archived