The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[UPDATED] Invites to Canucks 2014 Prospect Summer Development Camp

I don't know if it's because McCann is so quick but Horvat looks pretty slow out there.

McCann takes about 10x more strides than Horvat does. Having said that, judging from other videos, McCann looks like a good skater.

McCann takes about 10x more strides than Horvat does. Having said that, judging from other videos, McCann looks like a good skater.

McCann is a speedster, he accelerates very fast, has great agility and a top notch skater. Horvat on the other hand is a bit slower but from what I've seen a better player with his balance, power. He's really hard to knock off, reminds me of how Crosby skates except without the amount of speed Crosby has.

From what I've seen following the twitter feed, Gaunce/Cassels/Horvat seem to be quite the trio. They did the scavenger hunt together, sat together at the speech, and took the gondola together for dinner last night. Bonding seems to be going well.

Of note, Shink and Subban also seem to be buddies for the same reasons.

Subban and Shink seem like the best of buds based off the videos. Probably because they both have exuberant personalities.

I was there today at UBC watching the boys go through skills and power skating today.

I basically got a good look at mostly all the key guys we are intrigued about and I can say that I was surprised in some ways,

Horvat - He was the first on the ice for the 1st skills session today and I have to say I was impressed. I was at the Summit last year and I can say that he's improved extensively in confidence and his all around game (obviously there weren't any battle or 1 on 1 drills), skating and shooting wise. Someone pointed out earlier that he look slower than McCann, I have to disagree. He was definitely a step ahead of everyone in his group today.

McCann - A player I was very excited for and watched very carefully today; however, i was a little disappointed in what I saw. He had his moments, or should I say moment, and the rest he was very passive, weary almost. He looked too cautious out there and he was definitely fighting the puck a lot; missing passes, losing control of pucks around turns and miss firing on many shots. The only bright spot out of him today was definitely seeing him skate, he has electrifying foot speed and I believe he almost looks like a mason raymond +

Gaunce - I didn't see much of Gaunce today, as I went for a little coffee break when his group was on the ice, but from the 10 minutes I watched him, he looked a lot quicker and stronger than in years past. In the warm up skills he was quick in the dekes and came out with control. I remember the knock on him was that he didn't compete very hard/foot speed wasn't up there but today showed what he may lack in overall speed he's making up for that in quickness.

Shinkaruk - For someone who's barely been in the gym, let alone the ice, Shinkaruk definitely looked good today. I overhead Benning, as he was litterally standing over me. "he hasn't done any cardio since coming back", which is surprising to me as he din't look any more tired than the next guy. He did look stiff but that's expected. He looks to be using a shorter stick again and it shows because his hands are lightning quick. He was definitely the best I saw today do the warm up stickhandling drills.

If you guys want any other brief first impression scouting reports, let me know.

Also he's a video of a McCann snipe that I captured today:

Shinkaruk - For someone who's barely been in the gym, let alone the ice, Shinkaruk definitely looked good today. I overhead Benning, as he was litterally standing over me. "he hasn't done any cardio since coming back", which is surprising to me as he din't look any more tired than the next guy. He did look stiff but that's expected. He looks to be using a shorter stick again and it shows because his hands are lightning quick. He was definitely the best I saw today do the warm up stickhandling drills.

If you guys want any other brief first impression scouting reports, let me know

They may not want to, but I think it's going to be pretty hard keeping him off the big club this year. Anything to report on the future D -- Hutton, Cederholm, and Tryamkin?

Archived