The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Ferraro on Virtanen (paraphrasing):

"skates up and down, strong, physical, runs over guys, pro-level shot, but not a creative player. Not going to play the give-and-go, just wants to run through guys"

On his projection as a top 6

"too early to close a chapter on a guy who is only 18, but see him as, at this point, a 2nd-3rd line tweener"

I'm fine with this assessment.

Do you a source for this? I would like to see the context in which he thinks that closing the book on Virtanen is even worth mentioning.

Edited by Canorth

Do you a source for this? I would like to see the context in which he thinks that closing the book on Virtanen is even worth mentioning.

I also heard this on TSN 1040, you would more likely have to go see if they have the podcast replayed.

The context was more so related that Ferraro was talking about Forsling and lauded about him and sees a very good NHL player in him. Although Taylor and BMac wanted to ask about Virtanen they decided to ask about Forsling instead, but Ray wanted to chime in for Virtanen saying what he could project Virtanen to be.

Fair assessment.

I also heard this on TSN 1040, you would more likely have to go see if they have the podcast replayed.

The context was more so related that Ferraro was talking about Forsling and lauded about him and sees a very good NHL player in him. Although Taylor and BMac wanted to ask about Virtanen they decided to ask about Forsling instead, but Ray wanted to chime in for Virtanen saying what he could project Virtanen to be.

Fair assessment.

Thanks

I never got why people questioned his hockey iq until I watched him this tournament.

He seemed to be lost more then any other player in both zones and his vision is pretty average. He really needs to work on his passing also, barely any of them were crisp or tape to tape.

I'm still obviously excited about him though and think he will definitely be a top 6 player.

I think he will peak at 50-60 points and be a physical force in the NHL. Will probably be one of the best hitters in the NHL once he fills out.

It really makes a difference with how much ice time you get. When you are only out there 2-3 shifts a period it's really hard to get your head into the game and keep up with the play. When your out there ever other shift, getting PP time it changes the way you play and think each game. Just wait till next year and see how much more of an impact he will have on the team, it will change the way he plays.

I also, really wouldn't be making point predictions for any player based on what watched in this tournament. 4-6 games doesn't do much to justice to what a player can do in 82 games for the next 15 years.

Not sure I'd be able to find you any links/quotes but he still calls Van home in the off season, hosts a hockey camp here etc and has interviewed (paraphrasing) how much he enjoys his home town. It's not much of a stretch that he'd entertain playing here if given an opportunity/choice.

If you guys are talking about johansen, I grew up with the kid in Port Moody.

He's a loyal guy and loves colombus but I'll tell you Right now there isn't a day that he doesnt think about playing for his home town

Yeah, but that was a late hit, and it happened as the puck was already in transition and back towards the Russian zone. Wrong time to get physical.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think he is stupid, if you listen to his interviews, he has the brains to understand what is needed, I think he is just a little too used to Junior and the way you can be sloppy there. A professional level coach who knows how to handle a kid of his age should be able to get him to understand what is needed.

He definitely does need either a puck moving defenseman or a center who can pass to complement him.

The absolute worst he can be is a 215 lb version of Mason Raymond with a mean streak and a willingness to hit. (pre back injury Raymond) I think he has room to grow and will get bigger.

The absolute best he can be is Jonathan Toews 2 on the wing.

You didn't listen to what I said after you said he hasn't "wrapped his head around how to backcheck":

Check the shift where he got the penalty, about 5-7 seconds before the hit.

Look at what he did right BEFORE that hit -- he caught up to a guy and stripped him of the puck, backchecking. Had an excellent shift.

If you guys are talking about johansen, I grew up with the kid in Port Moody.

He's a loyal guy and loves colombus but I'll tell you Right now there isn't a day that he doesnt think about playing for his home town

Wanna tell him to come back at 28 when he is a UFA?

I hope Ferraro's wrong and he becomes a 1st or 2nd line forward, otherwise we've wasted the highest pick this franchise has had in over a decade.

Good teams don't waste top-10 picks on a 3rd liner. Good teams make first and second line players out of these high picks (and even later picks). I sincerely hope we haven't blown this.

It just hurts when you see Nylander and Larkin, who were drafted after Virtanen, absolutely dominate the world juniors and really show their stuff. It's hard to judge players in their own respective leagues before they're compared to their draftees in a tournament like this, but good drafting teams like the Red Wings and Bruins find ways to draft fantastic players before seeing them develop.

I hope Ferraro's wrong and he becomes a 1st or 2nd line forward, otherwise we've wasted the highest pick this franchise has had in over a decade.

Good teams don't waste top-10 picks on a 3rd liner. Good teams make first and second line players out of these high picks (and even later picks). I sincerely hope we haven't blown this.

It just hurts when you see Nylander and Larkin, who were drafted after Virtanen, absolutely dominate the world juniors and really show their stuff. It's hard to judge players in their own respective leagues before they're compared to their draftees in a tournament like this, but good drafting teams like the Red Wings and Bruins find ways to draft fantastic players before seeing them develop.

He went as projected at 6th overall, which shows that ALOT of scouts liked what they see and envision him as being worthy of that 6th overall status, I think he will be great.

Lol Nylander dominating the WJC, couldn't get his team into the medals. Most analysts were talking more about Forsling than Nylander. One thing that stood out for me about Nylander was every time he was bumped or hit he coughed up the puck and looked at the reff trying to do a sell job. This is a 19 yr old tourney and tourney and the 19 yr old guys were the best players watch what happens next year when Jake has matured.

Can't read too much into Virtanen performance at WJC to say what his potential is or what he'll become at the NHL level.

I spend the week at the 2009 WJC in Ottawa watching them play live. Jamie Benn pretty much had the same role as Virtanen that year, playing on the 4th line with Tyler Ennis and Brett Sonne. Benn ended the tournament with 4G and 1A (that includes a hat trick + 1A in a 15-0 rout of Kazakhstan and the other goal coming against Germany). Benn was also a physical presence like Virtanen, although much slower.

That year, Esposito and Didominico were for the major part of the Tournament Tavares' winger on the first line (or 1A) while the other 1st line (1B) was Eberle-Hodgson-Boychuk and third line being Della Rovere-Cormier-Kane.

Remember that Virtanen was basically the youngest player after McDavid and Crouse and was bumped up by two NHLer on the right wing.

Only a handful of 17-18 years old dominates this tournament, usually reserve for 19 yrs old player. Take the returnees (Lazar, McDavid, Reinhart, Morrisey, Petan), they were good last year, but dominated this year (add Domi which i'm pretty sure wouldn't have been the same player last year, had he made the team). So Virtanen is no Reinhart or McDavid to dominate this team at 17-18 years old.

Also look at the young american prodigy (Hanifin, Eichel, Matthews,), they didn't look much better than older player, even though they probably will have a better NHL career than most of them.

Unless Virtanen pulls an O'Reilly, Duclair (more because of injuries), I highly doubt he makes the Canucks next year and his performance at WJC next year will be a better reference for his NHL potential.

Edited by timberz21

lol At least you're consistent in your views. Commendable, I guess?
  • Upvote 1

Ferraro on Virtanen (paraphrasing):

"skates up and down, strong, physical, runs over guys, pro-level shot, but not a creative player. Not going to play the give-and-go, just wants to run through guys"

On his projection as a top 6

"too early to close a chapter on a guy who is only 18, but see him as, at this point, a 2nd-3rd line tweener"

I'm fine with this assessment.

Not sure an analyst is the best assessor of talent.

• Upvote 1

While Dylan Larkin does look like he will be a stud in the future, he was often facing secondary competition on Defense because the Eichel line was attracting so much attention. Larkin is also playing against guys in College who are anywhere from 18 to 24 and is more used to the faster heavy game that older players play.

I would say Jake who should have ended up with 5 points total in 4 different games did exactly what he was asked to do. Be responsible, be a physical presence, try and make something happen when he has the chance. People don't understand always that what players do on the ice is indicative of how they are coached. No one wants to go against the coach and the team by doing what ever they think is right, not what their role is.

I would feel much worse for Anahiem, Nashville, Arizona, and Washington who probably had Larkin on their list, but chose someone better suited to their needs or who they think has more potential. Small sample size, but I definitely like Larkin more than Fiala and Vrana in this tourny.

Edited by Derp...