The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

I don't think the top 4 changes, but maybe the Isles just choose Pasternak over Dal Colle. Or we decide to pick Pasternak, or Nylander, Ehlers or even Fiala. Or we make that trade for a better pick and get Reinhart or Ekblad.

I don't know what you guys see in those other guys, but Virtanen is still the concensus no-brainer guy at where we got him imho. Agreed about Ekblad being the trade target though. Benning well acknowledged the need for a stud defender. Come undone for Chychrun? ;)

Speaking of re-drafts, i find it strange that there's been so much focus on our 2014 6th overall when oh my god there's been so much instant buyer's remorse on so many drafts of our past.

Edited by TOMapleLaughs

I don't know what you guys see in those other guys, but Virtanen is still the concensus no-brainer guy at where we got him imho. Agreed about Ekblad being the trade target though. Benning well acknowledged the need for a stud defender. Come undone for Chychrun? ;)

Speaking of re-drafts, i find it strange that there's been so much focus on our 2014 6th overall when oh my god there's been so much instant buyer's remorse on so many drafts of our past.

I would say that the current read on 2014 is similar to what it was before the draft. I don't think there is any doubt that that Ekblad is #1 and that Reinhart, Bennett and Draisaitl are the next three, probably in that order.

Then we drop down to Dal Colle, Virtanen, Nylander and Ehlers. And in the actual draft, Fleury went before Nylander (surprisingly).

My personal ranking of these guys now is Nylander, Virtanen, Dal Colle and Ehlers. But it is too early to say much. These guys have not separated themselves yet.

I personally favored Nylander over Virtanen before the draft but I was happy to see the Canucks pick a local guy. And the Canucks can use Virtanen's toughness and intensity. Nylander would have helped the Canucks fill the "skill gap" that will emerge as the Sedins age, but picking up Baertschi helps.

• Upvote 4

I would say that the current read on 2014 is similar to what it was before the draft. I don't think there is any doubt that that Ekblad is #1 and that Reinhart, Bennett and Draisaitl are the next three, probably in that order.

Then we drop down to Dal Colle, Virtanen, Nylander and Ehlers. And in the actual draft, Fleury went before Nylander (surprisingly).

My personal ranking of these guys now is Nylander, Virtanen, Dal Colle and Ehlers. But it is too early to say much. These guys have not separated themselves yet.

I personally favored Nylander over Virtanen before the draft but I was happy to see the Canucks pick a local guy. And the Canucks can use Virtanen's toughness and intensity. Nylander would have helped the Canucks fill the "skill gap" that will emerge as the Sedins age, but picking up Baertschi helps.

this is me also.

Edited by Horvat
  • Upvote 1

While it is not expected that Nylander and omg re-draft talk would cease in this thread, I think Nylander's skill has been overhyped for awhile and Virtanen's skill has been underrated due to him bringing more than just offense to the table. I think he'll bring more than Dustin Brown, skill and speed-wise, but imho this is comparable to Dustin Brown vs. Thomas Vanek of the 2003 draft. I'm taking Brown hands-down because he is one of those guys you absolutely hate to face while Vanek is... Vanek...

Agreed that Baertschi is pretty much the guy regardless. Pretty sure I would not have traded a 2015 2nd for him, but I can understand why we did it. Baertschi was a skilled player being wasted in Calgary and there is potential for him to be top-6 in Vancouver right away. This helps Baertschi, and therefore the league as a whole, quite a bit.

Nylander is a perfect fit in TO anyway. You can even hold an 'advanced stat' on hair-tosses per interview.

Meanwhile, speaking of the 2003 draft, Canucks re-draft: Kesler? or Perry?

I don't know why, but I read your post in this guys voice:

My-Overkill-dr-perry-cox-25409214-768-57

Guest Dasein

Yeah...

Michael+Dal+Colle+NHL+Draft+Top+Prospect

42G51A 93P in 56GP?

Yeah...

Virtanen is really going to top that with his 21G31A 52P in 50GP...

Sure he made the WJC over MDC, but MDC had a better draft+1 junior season statistically speaking. Of course, Jake brings the boom and other intangibles with his game, but not enough to overcome a 41P differential

What makes you think MDC's stocks have fallen so much - just because he didn't make the WJC? If MDC had a "awful" year and he put up those numbers, I'm wondering what this kid's ceiling is when he's "hot"

And it's not like Jake had such a great season that he deserves to move up. I love that we have a player like him and he's our prospect and all but let's be real here - Jake improved from 1PPG to 1.04PPG

• Upvote 1

42G51A 93P in 56GP?

Yeah...

Virtanen is really going to top that with his 21G31A 52P in 50GP...

Sure he made the WJC over MDC, but MDC had a better draft+1 junior season statistically speaking. Of course, Jake brings the boom and other intangibles with his game, but not enough to overcome a 41P differential

What makes you think MDC's stocks have fallen so much - just because he didn't make the WJC? If MDC had a "awful" year and he put up those numbers, I'm wondering what this kid's ceiling is when he's "hot"

And it's not like Jake had such a great season that he deserves to move up. I love that we have a player like him and he's our prospect and all but let's be real here - Jake improved from 1PPG to 1.04PPG

There seems to be a global perception that MDC's stock has fallen since the draft. Do I subscribe to it? Not entirely. However, that perception would indicate a potential rise in Virtanen's standings to where MDC is. As for the other players mentioned, I remain unimpressed in various aspects of all their games. I definitely do not subscribe to the idea that Virtanen was drafted early.

I also don't believe that Fleury was picked too early. He suited Carolina's needs and that's what at the end of the day will help a team more down the road.

Guest Dasein

There seems to be a global perception that MDC's stock has fallen since the draft. Do I subscribe to it? Not entirely. However, that perception would indicate a potential rise in Virtanen's standings to where MDC is. As for the other players mentioned, I remain unimpressed in various aspects of all their games. I definitely do not subscribe to the idea that Virtanen was drafted early.

I also don't believe that Fleury was picked too early. He suited Carolina's needs and that's what at the end of the day will help a team more down the road.

Just because there's a "potential decline" on MDC's stock doesn't mean a potential rise in Virtanen's stock - that rise in Virtanen's stock has to come from Virtanen's good play IMO, and he hasn't done that IMO

Meanwhile, guys like Larkin and Pastrnak have done exactly that to move up (and McCann as well but not to the extent that the two aforementioned have)

Just because there's a "potential decline" on MDC's stock doesn't mean a potential rise in Virtanen's stock - that rise in Virtanen's stock has to come from Virtanen's good play IMO, and he hasn't done that IMO

Meanwhile, guys like Larkin and Pastrnak have done exactly that to move up (and McCann as well but not to the extent that the two aforementioned have)

Sorry, but in my hypothetical scenario it does. In that scenario, given Virtanen's play in the WJC and MDC's demotion from the same tourney, the hypothetical scouts for the top-5 picks in the draft get excited and forces him up the rankings. They also get excited for Larkin and Pastrnak, but not enough to put them into top-6 draft positions. You will find this totally useless and moot argument based on a hypothetical situation and outcome built to my own design is fool-proof. "Oh but this player will rise instead..." Nope, sorry. La-la-la-la-la.

The same things I saw at them prior to the draft last summer, except more of it a year later. Virtanen has shown mostly the same as well, but he wasn't the consensus no-brainer guy then, and he isn't the consensus no-brainer guy now.

But really, my comment was to acknowledge that having the same draft a year later with another year to evaluate the players might change people's minds. Maybe that works in Virtanen's favour, maybe it doesn't.

Sorry, but in my hypothetical scenario it does. In that scenario, given Virtanen's play in the WJC and MDC's demotion from the same tourney, the hypothetical scouts for the top-5 picks in the draft get excited and forces him up the rankings. They also get excited for Larkin and Pastrnak, but not enough to put them into top-6 draft positions. You will find this totally useless and moot argument based on a hypothetical situation and outcome built to my own design is fool-proof. "Oh but this player will rise instead..." Nope, sorry. La-la-la-la-la.

Well, that's kinda why it's your hypothetical scenario then isn't it? B)

Edited by elvis15

The same things I saw at them prior to the draft last summer, except more of it a year later. Virtanen has shown mostly the same as well, but he wasn't the consensus no-brainer guy then, and he isn't the consensus no-brainer guy now.

I disagree.

Well, that's kinda why it's your hypothetical scenario then isn't it? B)

I agree.

I preferred Ehlers over Virtanen and Nylander last year, then, and now. And Bennett over Reinhart.

But I'm happier with Jake than I was then.

While it is not expected that Nylander and omg re-draft talk would cease in this thread, I think Nylander's skill has been overhyped for awhile and Virtanen's skill has been underrated due to him bringing more than just offense to the table. I think he'll bring more than Dustin Brown, skill and speed-wise, but imho this is comparable to Dustin Brown vs. Thomas Vanek of the 2003 draft. I'm taking Brown hands-down because he is one of those guys you absolutely hate to face while Vanek is... Vanek...

Agreed that Baertschi is pretty much the guy regardless. Pretty sure I would not have traded a 2015 2nd for him, but I can understand why we did it. Baertschi was a skilled player being wasted in Calgary and there is potential for him to be top-6 in Vancouver right away. This helps Baertschi, and therefore the league as a whole, quite a bit.

Nylander is a perfect fit in TO anyway. You can even hold an 'advanced stat' on hair-tosses per interview.

Meanwhile, speaking of the 2003 draft, Canucks re-draft: Kesler? or Perry?

Hopefully he makes the Leafs next year and just gets crushed. :)

Edited by Dogbyte
  • Upvote 1