The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Geez people are panicking? :wacko:

What people forget, or let themselves underestimate is probably more accurate is what scouts see.

Jake is as big and strong as Kassian or Bo Horvat, but its explosive strength and with agility. Also endurance & world class speed. Yes NHL calibre skills whether or not he has the hockey panache of Sam Bennett. But getting back to the athletics, from what I understand Jake would be among the top 3 or 4 athletes on the Canucks. If not the best, right now as a junior?

Plus he competes!!!

We're talking one of only so few athletes who might be able to blow through Shea Weber on the boards. Chase down Erik Karlsson and jump with him when he changes directions.

Where will that take him when he gets 2 or 3 years of world class training and coaching under his belt? To my thinking the worst outcome is we'll have a 220 lb Jannik Hansen on our hands with a crazy shot!

Edited by Canuck Surfer
  • Upvote 2

It's like reading back 10 pages in to the Shinkaruk thread, and then reading the last 3 pages only.

People are so very hypocritical here about their prospects. This bi polar attitude about them needs to stop before we just end up chasing everyone away

Not that I disagree with how annoying it is, but I think your overstating the influence that CDC has in real life. Do you have an example of CDC ever chasing off a propect?

• Upvote 1

Not that I disagree with how annoying it is, but I think your overstating the influence that CDC has in real life. Do you have an example of CDC ever chasing off a propect?

No. That's strictly speaking facetiously. But by and alrge people echo or parrot what they see and read off of TSN. team 1040 sportsnet etc and then run with it. And people have to be aware that these kids are also hearing the same things.

Vancouver is the only team in this province and we are quite vocal. With the advent of social media, these kids and even the roster players on the team hear as much as we write.

To be honest, Pre-concussion Booth is a pretty good comparison. Shot, speed, grit, the complete package. I've actually seen Booth play before Mike Richards took him out. Believe me, if Virtanen became anything like pre-concussion Booth, we'd all be rejoicing.

More like Raffi Torres. Has speed, skates harder. And has INTENT!

Plus Raffi was a 5th overall pick. He at least plays hard!

LUL, but its hard not to project Jakes hockey IQ being higher than either Booth or Torres.

He has three points in four games and has been playing with physicality. Why are people crying?

Ya its ridiculous, give the kid a couple years. Not all picks are slam dunks. If he turns around and gets 12 points in 5 games next series what will most of the people be saying then.

Lets give our prospects the time to grow

The last 3 pages of this thread are exactly why I hate so many people who proclaim themselves canucks fans.

======================================

Hi. i am Jake Virtanen. I am barely 18 years old, and as a 6th overall draft pick apparently I am approaching bust status for playing under a questionable program and not putting up better than PPG numbers in the playoffs.

According to some canucks fans I have no hockey IQ, am 1 dimensional, hands of stone, won't make it in the NHL and somehow someway after only 8 months since the draft am below Ritchie, Nylander, Ehlers and more on the list of who i should be better than.

I do apologize canucks fans, it pains me to say that all of you over the last three pages and the first 10 pages since my draft in this thread are right. There is literally no way I deserved to go 6th and I bow to the superior knowledge of stats watchers and the people who go to the occasional game in their assessment of me.

I shall now ask to be traded to another team with the patience to develop me in to the player I feel i can be and at which point will delight in coming back to hear the whining from those self same people about how I never should have been traded.

Again, I do apologize and you all were right. yes all of you, the people with no scouting experience, sitting in front of your computers, the ones who by and large have never played hockey outside of X-Box platforms.

======================

Seriously people, calm down...he's a frigging kid he missed a good chunk of the season due to injury and still put up ppg+ numbers. At his age he has little to no warning signs.

You all need to calm the hell down and stop over analyzing everything you see from high light reels or the odd game here and there.

I think you need to realize that there are going to be bandwagoners when it comes to prospects because no everyone is a serious canucks fan and points are the best proxy when it comes to evaluating players known to date.

I'm sure you know who the real posters are, so why fuel the trolls and try to even reason with people who act in a manner that isn't constructive to the conversation.

I, for one, have been an a very critical poster of Virtanen since the new year. I've stuck with it, and have not changed my mind. You have to realize that I by no means am calling Jake a bust. It may be hard, though, to distinguish my comments from those who are just purely looking at stats.

Everyone can agree that stat watching, by itself, is naive. But thinking that stats don't matter alot, is naive as well. It's not that he's been not producing just in the playoffs, but over the last month + we've seen his relative impact to his team's success drop (Hitmen win, and Virtanen is a non-factor in the scoring).

You seem to be taking these comments by casual posters too seriously. Just cheer him on the best way you can.

Looking at our current prospect pool it's safe to say that Virtanen is tops based on speed alone. Then insert size, goals, defensive play and murdering and you have a future NHL all-star power forward.

Not bad. lul

I know some of you are thinking David Booth and Raffi Torres, but wow, WAY off. Booth has no legit power game and Torres wasn't nearly as fast or as skilled.

Impressed with Horvat? Wait until you get a load of VIRTANEN!

• Upvote 2

He has three points in four games and has been playing with physicality. Why are people crying?

It's because people come to forums and use other peoples posts as true facts in their lives. It is far too much work to actually follow a player and see what he has actually been doing.

#CDCFTW

It's because people come to forums and use other peoples posts as true facts in their lives. It is far too much work to actually follow a player and see what he has actually been doing.

#CDCFTW

I apologize for not being able to watch every Comets and Hitmen game that comes on, there are a small numbers of posters that do on here (and some even go out of their way to make game recaps of individuals) so I think it's safe to trust them. It's the most I can do as a fan. I'd love nothing more for Virtanen to impress, and have people raving about his impact on the ice game after game but he hasn't and they aren't. That's what it comes down to at the end of the day.

But I do assume you with your impressive moral compass actually HAVE been watching each and every game of Virtanen's, so please do enlighten me as to how the kid's looked. Because obviously he's stood out to you in a good way.

• Upvote 2

Stop taking stupid penalties!!! For crying out loud!!! just stop with these stupid penalties! We already have Alex burrows already we do t need another player that will give us a bad reputation!

There was 114mins in penalties last game, lul. For crying out loud, watch games.

As thrilled as I am to be seeing guys like McCann and Cassels racking up the goals and points compared to Virtanen but if I were GM and could do last year' s draft all over again, I would pick Jake in a heartbeat.

I can't wait to see him at this year's prospect camp and at the prospects tournament in Penticton. A good summer of training and fine-tuning his scoring touch will help him big time compared to the lack of off-season training last summer.

• Upvote 1