The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Much like I said in the McCann thread he will have a crazy good season next year when he is the hit men's go-to guy, I see him potting 60+ goals.

Though he might make the canucks next year, out of all canucks prospect he has the best chance. And you can tell WD and JB are really high on him. Hopefully he works extremely hard this summer.

Much like Horvat I think he can be eased into more minutes. Because unlike a guy like shinkaruk, Virtanen can play on the 4th line. This is because of his physicality and ability to play a 4th line type of game. He'll be able to play that kind of game until he feels comfortable at the NHL level, then he will start potting tons of goals for us

are you talking about mccann or virtanen because mccann plays in the OHL not the dub.

Virtanen-Horvat-Kassian is what i want to see for a trial in the preseason, 2 playmakers with heavy down low cycle to set up Virtanen's shot.

Offensively sure. Don't forget Horvat will always be a defensive centre first by priority assignment. Its his strength.

Virtanen does have defensive deficiencies. But fore checks like a demon and plays at pace. When developed I could see him being a great line mate with Horvat.

Kassian is not a fit IMO. He is a passive defender, he zones up.Iys not that he gets beat, still. Its why he was on the outs with AV and with Willie at the beginning of this year. They deploy attacking defensive schemes on the 3rd and 4th line. For that reason, not just his stick and passing skills, it makes for a better match with the Twins and Bonino.

Talking about Virtanen. I posted about McCann in his thread. Though they are both in similar situations

Yeah i think both of them will be the go to guy for their teams next year but I really feel like virtanen will stick after 9 games just for the fact that he's 210 lbs and can play a ferland type role.

having dorsett to mentor him will be perfect.

sedin sedin kassian

baertschi horvat vrbata

burrows bonino hansen

dorsett richardson virtanen

Yeah i think both of them will be the go to guy for their teams next year but I really feel like virtanen will stick after 9 games just for the fact that he's 210 lbs and can play a ferland type role.

having dorsett to mentor him will be perfect.

sedin sedin kassian

baertschi horvat vrbata

burrows bonino hansen

dorsett richardson virtanen

No thank you, normally players get mentored by players they respect or look up to. I highly doubt Virtanen looks up to Dorsett. Sorry to say it, but this fanbase has really hyped up Dorsett. However, he was invisible in the Calgary series, he earned a large contract and didn't show up to work. I don't want Dorsett mentoring any of our prospects, I rather have Horvat as a role model for our prospects because he showed up to work ready to battle, while guys like Dorsett earned their paycheques without showing up to work. I was very disappointed in Dorsett's play in the playoffs. He didn't do much if not anything. He could of done something to spark our team but nope.

Edited by desiboynux4lifee*******

Offensively sure. Don't forget Horvat will always be a defensive centre first by priority assignment. Its his strength.

Virtanen does have defensive deficiencies. But fore checks like a demon and plays at pace. When developed I could see him being a great line mate with Horvat.

Kassian is not a fit IMO. He is a passive defender, he zones up.Iys not that he gets beat, still. Its why he was on the outs with AV and with Willie at the beginning of this year. They deploy attacking defensive schemes on the 3rd and 4th line. For that reason, not just his stick and passing skills, it makes for a better match with the Twins and Bonino.

Well i would like to see it as a trial. This line kind of reminds me of what could become our version of Anaheim's 2nd line. Kassian has had very limited time with Horvat but he seemed to play very well with him when he did.

He has been used at LW and C by the Hitmen as well as RW, but he's far better on the right side. If he has a good camp like to see him get 9 games with Horvat and Kenins. Hansen may be needed to play on another line with expected player movement.

No thank you, normally players get mentored by players they respect or look up to. I highly doubt Virtanen looks up to Dorsett. Sorry to say it, but this fanbase has really hyped up Dorsett. However, he was invisible in the Calgary series, he earned a large contract and didn't show up to work. I don't want Dorsett mentoring any of our prospects, I rather have Horvat as a role model for our prospects because he showed up to work ready to battle, while guys like Dorsett earned their paycheques without showing up to work. I was very disappointed in Dorsett's play in the playoffs. He didn't do much if not anything. He could of done something to spark our team but nope.

Exactly, plus not sure I want the guy that will take a penalty no matter if his team is on a breakaway mentoring Virtanen. The kid alreeady has problems with that.

Virtanen might actually get a little work in the playoffs in Utica. Where he has the advantage to slip into the lineup is based on the fact that we are really kind of weak down the right side. Much higher chance he will draw in due to injury or just if Green thinks they could use more speed down the right side.

dorsett blew out his shoulder in the last game vs edmonton. he was obviously not the same player.

• Upvote 2

Virtanen might actually get a little work in the playoffs in Utica. Where he has the advantage to slip into the lineup is based on the fact that we are really kind of weak down the right side. Much higher chance he will draw in due to injury or just if Green thinks they could use more speed down the right side.

Who, in your opinion, would Jake slot in for on the right side? Isn't Jensen , who sat last game, a right winger, I think he'd slot in first.

dorsett blew out his shoulder in the last game vs edmonton. he was obviously not the same player.

Yes he was definitely hurtin , his best play was getting Ferglund to drop his gloves and take a penalty. Then the meathead almost fell for his own trick. Lol

Dorsett was a good mentor for Bo wasn't he. I wouldn't mind DD taking Jake under his wing.

• Upvote 1

Yes he was definitely hurtin , his best play was getting Ferglund to drop his gloves and take a penalty. Then the meathead almost fell for his own trick. Lol

Dorsett was a good mentor for Bo wasn't he. I wouldn't mind DD taking Jake under his wing.

Absolutely. Is it confirmed Dors was playing hurt? It wouldn't surprise me because he was a shadow of the player we saw in the regular season and in last year's playoffs with NYR. Despite what desiboy says, Dorsett was consistently one of the hardest working guys night in and night out all year, if the not the hardest working. He's the kind of guy that can show youngsters the type of effort and intensity that needs to be brought to each game. Desiboy just doesn't seem to actually like anybody.

Absolutely. Is it confirmed Dors was playing hurt? It wouldn't surprise me because he was a shadow of the player we saw in the regular season and in last year's playoffs with NYR. Despite what desiboy says, Dorsett was consistently one of the hardest working guys night in and night out all year, if the not the hardest working. He's the kind of guy that can show youngsters the type of effort and intensity that needs to be brought to each game. Desiboy just doesn't seem to actually like anybody.

Lol at people who dump on Dorsett

• Upvote 4

Would be surprised if either Virtanen or McCann get any game time for Utica this season.

I can't be the only one that see's Virtanen play atleast one season in the AHL before making the Canucks right? Feels like Jake would really benefit in the long-term from being developed properly and rounding out his game in Utica. We finally have a farm team with their biggest focus on developing NHL players for the Vancouver Canucks. Coaching staff down there are doing wonders with the youngsters, I can't wait to see how much Virtanen will develop under Travis Green.

Probably as broken as this thread is. He's the second coming of Jari Kurri! He's a horrendous, selfish diver! He's like Bure! A stiff breeze can blow him out of the arena! OMG we should have picked Nylander! lul

If Anthony Mantha, who's a WAY better player than Ehlers, can't light the lamp consistently in the AHL, then there has to be some concern about how weak the Q actually is. However, I think Mantha will bring more to the table, long-term. OMG He's in Detroiiiittt!

Nice hysterical satire...you do it well.

I don't like Dorsett, yeah he tries but he's awful. It is possible to have good players that can actually play hockey mentor the kids, pretty sure Hansen mentored Horvat all year. Not Dorsett who he rarely played with, and when they did they were awful.

I'd rather have a guy that can make a play with the puck teach the kids how to play. Dorsett should be the extra forward, that's the role those type of players play now in the NHL on contenders.

Edited by FlyLow_