The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

I am just adoring how people are neglecting the obvious here.

Our goaltending was suspect

Our leader was a no show, shoulder or not it's an excuse (according to the people who refused to cut JV the same slack last year)

We had numerous players with 1 point or less

We had a coach that refused to adapt from a north american to a european game

we had a team full of individuals

we had a team full of people selected on what they DID not what they were doing

our entire team repeatedly took very bad penalties.

Our pp was dismal, our PK was even more so when you factor in how much practice they got

But in the end everyone is somehow blaming this loss on JV, pissing and moaning about the pick and completely forgetting 22 other players and a coaching staff couldn't get their collective crap together long enough to adapt to a skill game not a NA game.

The very fact people want to pin this all on JV when we let go a 2 count it 2 goal lead is beyond me.  Writing off his entire career because of it is pathetic.  The better team won today, TEAM get that; TEAM not individuals, TEAM.  You can say that Team canada was the better team today but they weren't.  They were the better group of single players, individuals.

9 penalties later and it is all JV's fault we lost the tournament, not the other 3-4 games at all and 22 other guys.  Just our Virtanen alone.

Adorable

Agree 100%.  I said before the game that I didn't think TC would metal, let alone win this game.  Let's be honest, this team has struggled throughout the tournament.  Struggle to find chemistry, line combinations, etc.  Jake was the least of this teams problems and was NOT the reason we lost today.  But again, let's be honest, did you really feel that IF we won today we would metal, let alone win Gold?  This is one of the worst teams for TC I have seen, but hey, it's a learning experience and with parity what it is today in the world, we are no longer going to win 4 golds in a row.  And also remember, it's a junior tournament and while entertaining, it does not necessarily predict players futures, ie Hodgson.  Jake made some undisciplined plays and needs to learn how to control his play and emotions better, but that's not why we won't be winning gold.

What I personally learned from watching Jake is that he has an amazing potential to be a huge contributor in the NHL, particularly in the playoffs.  What I finally accepted is he is not a slick puck handler with great mobility.  But you know what, he doesn't have to be if he can learn and improve the other aspects of his game to make him better at what he does best, and that's all right.  Once he is taught to play better positionally, engage more, get back to his speed and shot [he didn't lose these overnight], he will be a very exciting player that can turn a game around.  Let's lower our expectations for now, allow him to grow and develop, and accept what he delivers vs. expect him to do things he is not likely to do and probably never will do.  And that's ok, because few players, even at the highest level are ALL things.

Edited by Stormriders
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Stormriders said:

What I personally learned from watching Jake is that he has an amazing potential to be a huge contributor in the NHL

I missed the game but have been reading the posts here.  I just saw the highlights and those penalties were a joke. Those striped pukes couldn't wait to please the Finnish fans. The one guy was  so anxious to make a call he let out a fart when his arm went up. I am not down on Jake for those penalties.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, clam linguine said:

I missed the game but have been reading the posts here.  I just saw the highlights and those penalties were a joke. Those striped pukes couldn't wait to please the Finnish fans. The one guy was  so anxious to make a call he let out a fart when his arm went up. I am not down on Jake for those penalties.

It's true, but so many people here are looking for any reason to dump on a 19 year old with 19 games under his belt.

35 minutes ago, ShakyWalton said:

The kid isnt ready...its obvious..but I dont think Calgary is the place...like to see him on the Giants for the rest of the season..close and can be kept tabs on and train as well.

I wonder if Benning has looked at making a deal with Kelowna or Vancouver to trade for his rights so that he can be sent down.

• Upvote 1

If I'm Benning, Jake is straight back into the Canucks lineup after a long video showing him all the outstanding things he did at this tournament.

The Canucks need that big bodied, hard working, net-driving young player that hits and has upside.

Doesn't deserve a demotion - for being trolled ceaselessly.   Had a far better tournament than he's getting credit for.

• Upvote 4

I got a kick out of TSN stroking Marner as if he had some kind of second-coming performance.  Yes, scored a couple goals.  Also had absolutely no intention of playing with anyone else - can't remember seeing such a thorough tunnel-vision, all-me / can't see his linemates game from a player in quite some time.  

Awful.  Canada's forward group was the worst this country iced in a long, long time - and a porous back end couldn't subsidize it.

• Upvote 1

I think some good came from the tourney for JV. Never hurts to get a harsh lesson in humility. Many people seem to think that what we saw is an indication of his end game. Only he will decide that. I don't want to quote something silly like whatever doesn't kill us but i will anyway. He got emotional sure. Some of that emotion hurt him. I have a strong feeling though that if Jake is going to ever live up to his expectations, its not going to be as a humble Sedin like player. JV needs fangs to have success. God only knows we need it. 

1 hour ago, ShakyWalton said:

The kid isnt ready...its obvious..but I dont think Calgary is the place...like to see him on the Giants for the rest of the season..close and can be kept tabs on and train as well.

Part of me want him to develop in the NHL the other half wants Jake to go back to Jr. but not in Calgary. I would love if Giants or Rockets trade for him.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

2014 #6 pick Virtanen 5GP 1A

2015 #4 pick Marner 5GP 4G 2A

wam... I want our money back. 

Marner and Strome played like a pair of selfish smurfs.  Extremely over-rated performances.  Overall, they were borderline awful with no work ethic, even less concept of how to use your linemates,  absolutely no  grit and a few 'redeeming' flashes that fooled only highlight reel fans.

Edited by oldnews

57 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I got a kick out of TSN stroking Marner as if he had some kind of second-coming performance.  Yes, scored a couple goals.  Also had absolutely no intention of playing with anyone else - can't remember seeing such a thorough tunnel-vision, all-me / can't see his linemates game from a player in quite some time.  

Awful.  Canada's forward group was the worst this country iced in a long, long time - and a porous back end couldn't subsidize it.

To be honest both his linemates sucked. Perlini was probably the worst player on the team yet kept getting spoonfed minutes in the top 6. He should have been demoted but our coach was a moron. 

2 hours ago, oldnews said:

If I'm Benning, Jake is straight back into the Canucks lineup after a long video showing him all the outstanding things he did at this tournament.

The Canucks need that big bodied, hard working, net-driving young player that hits and has upside.

Doesn't deserve a demotion - for being trolled ceaselessly.   Had a far better tournament than he's getting credit for.

Well said...It looks to me like primadonnas like Marner and Point didnt want to pass the puck to Jake... and don't get me started on his moronic detractors from around here.  

Jake excuse roulette 

Couches fault (WD, team canada, Calgary)

Linemates (not skilled enough in van, won't pass the puck on team canada, not consistenthe enough in Calgary)

Had shoulder surgery year and a half ago.

Playing a pro game.

Working on his defensive game.

Some real homers around here. You should get out of Canuck land and hear what others are saying about this guy after the tournament. It's embarrassing.  Jake cost TC that game and the tournament.

I want him to succeed.  He's just not right now. Unlike some of you, I'm not afraid to admit it.

Edited by Gooseberries
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Gooseberries said:

Jake excuse roulette 

Couches fault (WD, team canada, Calgary)

Linemates (not skilled enough in van, won't pass the puck on team canada, not consistenthe enough in Calgary)

Had shoulder surgery year and a half ago.

Playing a pro game.

Working on his defensive game.

Some real homers around here. You should get out of canuckledraggin and here what others are saying about this guy after the tournament. It's embarrassing.  Jake cost TC that game and the tournament.

I want him to succeed.  He's just not right now. Unlike some of you, I'm not afraid to admit it.

Real homers around here?! Lol...Canuck message board buddy. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, oldnews said:

Mariner reminds me a lot of Drouin. 

Great skill but a puck hog and a bit cocky.

5 hours ago, NEON.KNEE said:

Well said...It looks to me like primadonnas like Marner and Point didnt want to pass the puck to Jake... and don't get me started on his moronic detractors from around here.  

He barely even played with Point and Marner.

• Upvote 1