The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

I dont want to be a downer on Virtanen but his bottom line is pretty rough to look at.  Only two points above a point per game with draft and draft +1 years and has done hardly anything in the ahl.  He did have that good month and a bit after coming back from the world juniors last season and the goal streak this season but those are few and far between.  I was really happy with the pick at the time but at this point id be happy if he can score 15 goals on a third line peaking with a few 20 goal seasons while using his skating to cause some problems on the forecheck.  Yes he doesn't play with offensive line mates or on an offensive team but still for a 6th overall pic those stats are hard to look at.  Anyways I hope he proves me wrong and can find a spot in the canucks future top 6 for a lot of years.  

Edited by wellnon

6 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

That would be the best AHL team we ice filled with our prospects since the golden Manitoba Moose era. Im fine with that. Bieksa Kesler Hansen Burrows Edler Bourdon Schneider Rypien etc.. came into the league with crazy chemistry and it helped them.

Exactly right.

5 hours ago, wellnon said:

I dont want to be a downer on Virtanen but his bottom line is pretty rough to look at.  Only two points above a point per game with draft and draft +1 years and has done hardly anything in the ahl.  He did have that good month and a bit after coming back from the world juniors last season and the goal streak this season but those are few and far between.  I was really happy with the pick at the time but at this point id be happy if he can score 15 goals on a third line peaking with a few 20 goal seasons while using his skating to cause some problems on the forecheck.  Yes he doesn't play with offensive line mates or on an offensive team but still for a 6th overall pic those stats are hard to look at.  Anyways I hope he proves me wrong and can find a spot in the canucks future top 6 for a lot of years.  

Have you watched him play in Utica?

• Upvote 1

I want nothing more out of Virtanen other than for him to use his speed and strength to bulldoze the other team and capitalize on scoring chances when he gets them. If he can get 30 points a season doing that then great. As long as he brings that physical element up front that the Canucks have been lacking since Torres...

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, stawns said:

Have you watched him play in Utica?

The answer is pretty obvious after reading that post. I tend to totally disregard anyone who begins to analyze Jake's play of the last month based on point totals. All reports out of utica say that jake has been playing great and that he's been snake bitten.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, nuck7635 said:

I want nothing more out of Virtanen other than for him to use his speed and strength to bulldoze the other team and capitalize on scoring chances when he gets them. If he can get 30 points a season doing that then great. As long as he brings that physical element up front that the Canucks have been lacking since Torres...

At some point he'll realize that his speed will actually give him more room to either go to the net or dish the puck.

10 minutes ago, MJDDawg said:

At some point he'll realize that his speed will actually give him more room to either go to the net or dish the puck.

Also be nice if he learns to vary it. Speed change is HARD to defend against especially if said player is still pretty darn fast at say seven or eight tenths. You come at a defender with good speed at 7/10, do a quick fake and then crank it to 10/10 and you'll blow by a LOT of guys and/or create space for a team mate.

On ‎3‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 11:07 PM, canuckistani said:

I'd be happy with a Raffi Torres at this point...

At this point I'd be ecstatic if we could get a slightly upgraded Steve Pinizzotto out of him for the 4th line (minus the fighter role) who can stick in the line-up and the NHL. lol

Really don't know why people can't be patient with this kid. Power Forwards usually take longer to develop and mature into their role.

Bertuzzi didn't really hit his stride in the league until he was 25/26.

This kid has all the tools, they are teaching him to have a much rounder game for the team. Show him patience and it will pay off.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Really don't know why people can't be patient with this kid. Power Forwards usually take longer to develop and mature into their role.

This kid has all the tools, they are teaching him to have a much rounder game for the team. Show him patience and it will pay off.

man I hope Crawford comes back here next year.. he would do wonders for our young guys. especially Virtanen

Edited by Hortankin

1 minute ago, Hortankin said:

man I hope Crawford comes back here next year.. he would do wonders for our young guys. especially Virtanen

I was never a fan of Crawford when he was here. Thought his coaching was far too one dimensional and led to predictability.

That said, he may have adapted and matured his coaching style in recent years, I haven't observed anyone he's coaching in a long time.

2 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Bertuzzi was more of the exception than the rule for powerforwards.  

Most powerfowards are usually ready to step into the NHL immediately, since they usually already have the strength and size to do so.

Lucic, Dustin Brown, pre-concussion Booth, Iginla, Evander Kane, Landeskog, Kreider...... all were able to be impact players before the age of 24.  

The whole "power forwards taking longer" is just a myth.  

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

Most powerfowards are usually ready to step into the NHL immediately, since they usually already have the strength and size to do so.

Lucic, Dustin Brown, pre-concussion Booth, Iginla, Evander Kane, Landeskog, Kreider...... all were able to be impact players before the age of 24.  

Good thing he's only 20

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

Of course.  Hypothetically, I'm not writing him off until he's at least 24

Just trying to dispel the whole myth part.  

But he's not meeting Desi Boys mythical 2 ppg in the AHL so he must be a bust now :P

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

Everyone develops at their own pace. Virtanen has the skill set, the management feel he's improving, I think they probably know him far better than any of us do.

Even thought some of these guys were showing flashes, they didn't fully hit their stride at 19 or 20.

Lucic was about 22 when he really started to perform

Brown was about 23 and spent a full season in the AHL

Booth was about 24 before he really started to perform, and spent time in College as well as AHL

Evander Kane, it could be argued that he's still learning how to be consistent in the NHL and might have been better if he went back to junior for another season

Landeskog, definitely productive and grew into his role very quickly in the NHL

Kreider, didn't really hit his stride until he turned 23 and spent time in the AHL as well

Point is, it sometimes takes these guys to adapt to playing a more mature game. Some of them need more time than others, and Virtanen also lost significant time due to shoulder injury.

Virtanen is still only 20, and Green is a very good teacher as we've seen. There is no reason whatsoever, not to give this kid time to develop and mature his game.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

Of course.  Hypothetically, I'm not writing him off until he's at least 24

Just trying to dispel the whole myth part.  

I don't think it's a myth. Power forwards are often big jocks with great tools but weak tool kits/hockey IQ. Their success at lower levels is frequently based on overpowering opponents rather than out thinking them. When they get to the professional levels and have to compete with players their own size, it's not surprising that it can take a while for them to figure things out.

• Upvote 1

Just now, WeneedLumme said:

I don't think it's a myth. Power forwards are often big jocks with great tools but weak tool kits/hockey IQ. Their success at lower levels is frequently based on overpowering opponents rather than out thinking them. When they get to the professional levels and have to compete with players their own size, it's not surprising that it can take a while for them to figure things out.

Usually by age 24.  

If they don't become impact players by then, they're usually just become grinders like Steve Bernier, Raffi Torres, etc.