The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

16 minutes ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

As my point with Vrbata, does one down season mean his career is over? Yak and Tera are both going on their 5th year, while Jake is going into his third. Nobody makes a sound average out of two data points, that's absurd.

I never said jakes career was over. I'm just pointing out the obvisous that he's struggled in his development. People stating he's in the top half of his draft class interns of development based simply on games played and goals is inaccurate and flawed. There are so many other variables at play when considering a players development and to narrow it down to those two chart columns brings no value to the discussion. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, ohmy said:

I'll give you Schmaltz but Montour is a defenceman so not a good comparable. In no way is Tuch or Kapanen ahead of Virtanen in his development though.

Really. You think Jake is ahead of tuch and kapanen. How so?  Those two players dominated the ahl where Jake struggled. Those two players have been progressing where Jake stalled. 

1 minute ago, ThaShady1 said:

I'm not greatly enjoying it really, I think it's silly to be honest. Silly but amusing, because it's insane that a 6th overall prospect on a sports team can run 19000+ posts involving many many people arguing about how great or crappy this kid is. It's ridiculous. I'm as avid a fan as anyone, and yes, healthy criticism is not a bad thing. It would just seem as if Benning (or whomever) picks a player some don't like, they perpetually hate on the prospects. Aren't we all Canucks fans? Isn't it kind of our duty to cheer these kids on and hope they make a life for themselves and entertain us? I mean c'mon people. 

Jake isn't some a--hole. It's not as if he's a jerk athlete who everyone hates, and we're stuck cheering for him. He seemed to be an immature kid who's growing into his skin. I applaud that. If he can continue this path, we can look for him as a future bruiser, scorer, and generally fun guy to watch. Sounds good to me. 

Anyhow Alf, the pic is just a common meme that's been going around the internet awhile. 

Maybe Jake is making healthy snack choices now, like popcorn, and it's helped him with his weight?  :ph34r:  

9 hours ago, Toews said:

Lol says the guy that stalks people and negs them at every chance. We won't let you forget about it either.

There there care bear. What is with you snowflakes thinking that people are stalking you? I couldn't possibly care less what you say or think unless you just keep repeating the same tripe over and over and using stat watching as a way of evaluating development.

1 minute ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Really. You think Jake is ahead of tuch and kapanen. How so?  Those two players dominated the ahl where Jake struggled. Those two players have been progressing where Jake stalled. 

Those two were playing at their optimal weights, and fit.  They are pretty much near their ceilings.  Jake, now he's at weight and fit, will HUGELY improve.  We will see him rocket to the top of his draft class, surpassing the 

Smurfs.  

Go Jake Go!!!

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Oh I didn't say that Jake was ahead I just said they were not. If anything they are on par with eachother. All looking to make there respective teams. Jake has numbers in the NHL and they have numbers in the AHL. So you can't assess who is ahead. I could say Jake has scored more goals in the NHL and you could say they have better numbers in the AHL. I do not think that Jake has regressed at all. He needed to learn that he couldn't get by with only speed and a big shot in pro hockey . So far the preseason has showed he's done that as he's been an impact on every game he has played. Time will tell but the improvement is noticeable and encouraging. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Would that opinion be based on goals per game? :ph34r:

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Has Jake done enough to warrant an actual spot on the crowded at the wings Canucks roster or not.

My unpopular opinion is to still send him down

Ray Ferraro was on tsn1040 today and made some excellent points about Jake. I agree with what he said, which is basically to send Virtanen down to Utica where he hopefully scores 10-15 goals before Christmas. Allow him to play 15-16 minutes a night and continue to build his confidence. Then, bring him up to the NHL. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, ohmy said:

Oh I didn't say that Jake was ahead I just said they were not. If anything they are on par with eachother. All looking to make there respective teams. Jake has numbers in the NHL and they have numbers in the AHL. So you can't assess who is ahead. I could say Jake has scored more goals in the NHL and you could say they have better numbers in the AHL.

Jake has NHL numbers but it shouldn't be held against a player like tuch who chose the NCAA route. The only reason Jake has NHL numbers is because the team was forced to and benning even admitted it was a mistake. 

Last year all three players played in the same league against each other. They can easily be compared as direct comparables. And out of the three Jake was the worst. 

I do not think that Jake has regressed at all. He needed to learn that he couldn't get by with only speed and a big shot in pro hockey 

. So far the preseason has showed he's done that as he's been an impact on every game he has played. Time will tell but the improvement is noticeable and encouraging. 

Yes he has. But it's only going to get tougher as teams cut players. His competition internally and externally will only get harder. 

Edited by ForsbergTheGreat

You must have trouble with comprehension.

Let me simplify it for you.   Have an opinion.  Feel free to debate it.   Just don't get so invested in your opinion that you start abusing others.    Sort of like using a term like "left wing neo-wacko", which makes you look foolish. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

Has Jake done enough to warrant an actual spot on the crowded at the wings Canucks roster or not.

Yeah send him down and keep him in an offensive role in Utica being used as a key player. Call him up for injuries and after we trade off some depth come February. It would set him up for a strong last 1/4 of the season and build him some NHL confidence for next year. 

• Upvote 1

Wow, this thread is toxic. 

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

I was definitely part of the group that had been quite disappointed with Jake. However, he has started impressing me to the point where I would not mind seeing him on the opening night roster. That being said, because of his struggles, I would still prefer to see him go to Utica where he will hopefully dominate and gain confidence. In terms of what's best for his development I'm of the opinion that the AHL is still the best option as you are.

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

I think I finally get this image.  It implies you are greatly enjoying the childish banter in this thread.  Am I right?  But why the MJ from Thriller?  Didn't that character turn into a Zombie?  Okay, I'm confused again:(  Does it mean Virtanen is playing as aggressive as a Zombie after living human tissue?  Jake is playing great, isn't he?

You should perform at Yuk yuks. The seniors division. 

• Upvote 2

Only thing I'm worried about is if he's goes down and has really bad puck luck again. Some players just seem to be better or put up better numbers in the NHL than the AHL. Small sample size, but Bo Horvat for example. If he continues his play when the vets return he should stay up imo. Our forward group is just too slow and soft without him.