The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

34 minutes ago, Kaner said:

3 games doesn't really mean a whole lot other than that he's clearly gained better habits. If this wasn't the case then in February 2016 he would've been considered the second coming of Jesus. 

No one said it means a whole lot. But what it does mean is that Maybe it was a little early to be screaming bust for the past 2 seasons while constantly bringing up Ehlers or Nylander.  Is Jake on their level yet?  No.  But he is showing this camp that he still has the potential to blossom into the player management thought he was when he was picked.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

We can agree to disagree here.

But I see no reason to start them anywhere but Utica myself.

Virtanen I would agree. Virtanen needs to show us that he can do what he's doing consistently. Currently, as much as I'd love Virtanen on the roster right now with the way he's playing, he'll just be slotted on the 4th line and may not get the same amount of minutes he's getting in the pre-season. Whereas in Utica, he'll probably play top minutes with PP time. He'll also be playing with skilled guys or guys who have some offensive upside (any one of Dahlen, Goldobin, Chaput, etc) and so we can expect to see more points. I'm just so relieved Virtanen has finally found himself again. 

As for Boeser, with the way he's conducted himself and the way he's taken a huge step during the absences of the veterans not only shows what kind of a elite level player he is, but to be that guy that everyone counts upon, he really separated himself from the others and became that guy that comes up big when it matters most. Here's a 20 year old kid who came to camp as if he was a 30 year old veteran helping the young guys and telling them what to do and being that leadership presence in the absences of the actual vets..  I hope Horvat doesn't think he's a sure thing for future captaincy because Boeser is right there knocking on the door step. 

There's a lot of hype around this kid for good reason. I'm 100% certain that he's going to be on that right hand side beside Baertschi and Horvat on our season opener oct 7th. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

I still think he should start in Utica with Boeser.  Jake being the first call up, Boeser behind him.

We're in no rush at all.  Rather see them dominate and gel for one year in the AHL instead of assist this team towards maybe mediocrity at best.

So in the midst of our rebuild, we're actually going to have ZERO rookies in the lineup this year?  It has to keep moving forward, transitioning the new players and core in.

We'll see how they do against veterans, but for now Boeser is a lock to make the team, as he should be.  Not only because he's earning it, not only because Benning said he would make a spot for any that earn it, but he could well slide right into the top-6 and lead this team in goals.  As a rookie.  Jake is making a strong case as well, and if there aren't any outright injuries out of preseason I would not be surprised to see some "maintenance days" for some that cause him to be kept around.  Best-case is that JB has some potential trades in his back pocket he's been stashing which would further open up spots.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, canuckledraggin said:

Bury your head in shame for the rest of your life. You suck for the rest of eternity and we will never let you forget it.

Lol says the guy that stalks people and negs them at every chance. We won't let you forget about it either.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I have never looked for "solace" but held to the perspective that players take different paths and bigger/power forward types typically take longer no matter how many on CDC say otherwise - I have simply seen it through my own career.   Further, points was not the measure for Virtanen last year - Green wanted him to learn the game in all zones and if you had actually watched the games (all were available on line), he was both snakebitten AND played with players he was simply faster than and didn't mesh well with.

I had the pleasure of watching some Utica games and, as you said, he was a tad underwhelming. You atone it to being "snakebitten," not meshing well with players, and being "too fast?" if that makes sense. Maybe I'm tougher on him for not making any excuses on his part.

As for your personal "career" argument, you're going to have to prove it before it holds any water on an internet forum.

11 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

He remains young, talented and now with seemingly more confidence and found his playing weight, he has a much better chance of realizing his potential.  Remember (and I have said this a zillion times), he still is 12th most NHL games from the first round picks in his year (14th most NHL goals) so has been an upper first round player in terms of presence in the league and even production but both of those came before he was really ready.   Is he ready yet?   Don't know but looking much closer.    

And you can repeat it a zillion more times- this is an argument only you seem okay with. Don't expect the rest of us to just accept it at face value.

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

You know, and this perhaps is the massive different between how you and I see things like internet discussion forums, I really don't care if you think my opinion "holds water".   My career is what it was and my experience is what it is, for me to have to "prove" that my opinions are formed by such and are somehow more "valid" to you seems like something that I neither need to do nor care to do.   You clearly don't have any time for my thoughts, experiences or opinions so why respond?   To your point of "only you", that is not true given my CDC responses in general but if that makes you feel more valid in your opinion, go for it.

I don't expect "the rest of you" (which is largely just you) to think one way or the other.   I only offer up what I think and you are free to choose to consider it or not.   Seeing you claim to disregard it entirely, why bother chiming in consistently to it then?

I remember when you were cool man. What happened to you.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Dunno, get tired of people who simply dismiss other opinions.   I am happy to disagree with people, but at least feel as though consideration for another opinion can be valid.   I also am tired of having people who clearly have never played the game say things about players as if they are not even human - just bugs me.

I also miss playing and am happy to still be involved with the game but this time of year, should be on the ice.  Perhaps that gets to me too much.   Dunno - but perhaps I just was never even cool to start with (that's probably it).

Do you miss the smell of the ice first thing in the morning, before anyone has put a blade into it?  I haven't played since the 60's and still miss that smell.  

I think Jake is in shape now, and at a proper weight.  It's as simple as that for him.

Just now, Alflives said:

Do you miss the smell of the ice first thing in the morning, before anyone has put a blade into it?  I haven't played since the 60's and still miss that smell.  

I think Jake is in shape now, and at a proper weight.  It's as simple as that for him.

I miss all of it.   It was part of my every day life since I was five or so - I miss it a lot.

1 minute ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I miss all of it.   It was part of my every day life since I was five or so - I miss it a lot.

Maybe Jake realized he was going to be out of the game if he didn't "shape up", and that motivated him to get fit?  It's a big change in one's life when "IT'S" over.

27 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Dunno, get tired of people who simply dismiss other opinions.   I am happy to disagree with people, but at least feel as though consideration for another opinion can be valid.   I also am tired of having people who clearly have never played the game say things about players as if they are not even human - just bugs me.

I also miss playing and am happy to still be involved with the game but this time of year, should be on the ice.  Perhaps that gets to me too much.   Dunno - but perhaps I just was never even cool to start with (that's probably it).

I'm going to give you my thoughts on you as a user (whether you like it or not lol). You provide good insite and opinions on players and the game itself. However I get this feeling that you think your opinion matters more than others on here because your username is Rob zepp. You could have played pro. You might not have. Theres really no easy way to prove that you did and theres definitly no way to make me care if you did.

One thing is for sure we're both spending too much time on CDC so we're both losers. 

You might not be intending to come off that way but that's my personal opinion  on the topic of Rob Zepp the cdc member.

I know I'm not perfect either. I know many members don't like me.

Edited by 73 Percent
  • Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

I'm going to give you my thoughts on you as a user (whether you like it or not lol). You provide good insite and opinions on players and the game itself. However I get this feeling that you think your opinion matters more than others on here because your username is Rob zepp. You could have played pro. You might not have. Theres really no easy way to prove that you did and theres definitly no way to make me care if you did.

One thing is for sure we're both spending too much time on CDC so we're both losers. 

You might not be intending to come off that way but that's my personal opinion  on the topic of Rob Zepp the cdc member.

I wonder if (some) ex players get their "game on" again by coming to CDC?  When I discovered the Internet, and CDC, I was reminded of the game.  

Jake is picked up his socks this summer, because he realized what he loved and lived for was going to end if he continued along the same path.  I think. 

6 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

On this we agree 100% :lol:   I am trying to fill my hockey void in various ways - this isn't the best use.   New role is picking up more now so I will be here less and less shortly and likely back more next off season assuming Canes or Panthers don't get a site really going.   

6 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

On this we agree 100% :lol:   I am trying to fill my hockey void in various ways - this isn't the best use.   New role is picking up more now so I will be here less and less shortly and likely back more next off season assuming Canes or Panthers don't get a site really going.   

I wish you the best of luck with your new role. Be it goalie coaching or manager of a fantasy hockey team. 

7 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

What is it that you actually do Rob? Genuinely curious!

2 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

You know, and this perhaps is the massive different between how you and I see things like internet discussion forums, I really don't care if you think my opinion "holds water".   My career is what it was and my experience is what it is, for me to have to "prove" that my opinions are formed by such and are somehow more "valid" to you seems like something that I neither need to do nor care to do.   You clearly don't have any time for my thoughts, experiences or opinions so why respond?   To your point of "only you", that is not true given my CDC responses in general but if that makes you feel more valid in your opinion, go for it.

I don't expect "the rest of you" (which is largely just you) to think one way or the other.   I only offer up what I think and you are free to choose to consider it or not.   Seeing you claim to disregard it entirely, why bother chiming in consistently to it then?

The delusion is strong. I wasn't born yesterday- I'm not about to accept all your insight at face value because you claim to have had a pro career. Like @73 Percent said, there's no way for you to prove this and there's really no reason for me to care. The problem here is that you're using an unsubstantiated claim to put your posts on a pedestal when in reality, you're in the same boat as the rest of us.

As for your reoccurring games played argument regarding Jake, @ForsbergTheGreat has repeatedly debunked your reasoning only for you to come back with less-than-convincing rebuttals. You repeatedly want to shove this point down our throats when it makes no sense at all. You'll probably repeat it tomorrow only to pout when someone else calls out the deficiencies in the argument. This isn't about targeting you specifically and disregarding your posts, this is about you failing to look in the mirror and accepting that the argument you repeatedly put forth has no logic. 

• Upvote 1