The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

15 hours ago, RogersTowell said:

Essentially all you are saying here is that you don't agree with his statement without supplying a reason.  This whole debate seems to be devolving into veiled ad-hominem attacks and meta-discussion.  Why not reply instead with your take on Virtanen's progress (or lack thereof if that's your position) instead?

Probably because it's been formally debunked so many times I've lost count. You should read the thread and see for yourself.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Erik Karlsson said:

Only thing I'm worried about is if he's goes down and has really bad puck luck again. Some players just seem to be better or put up better numbers in the NHL than the AHL. Small sample size, but Bo Horvat for example. If he continues his play when the vets return he should stay up imo. Our forward group is just too slow and soft without him. 

He played this way from Jan on last season and I'm confident he'll continue on the same trajectory of he goes back to Utica.  The difference is he had zero offensive players to play with last year and this season he will have offensive support. 

• Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

Regardless if you’re a hater or a supporter if you don’t think he has improved your a lying fraud and probably not a Canuck fan.

Every young player shows some growth in the game as they grow older. Even Cole Cassels has improved aspects of his game but it is still highly unlikely that he will make the NHL in any capacity. The crux of the issue has always been that improvement in his game has not been appreciable enough relative to his peers. I am also not just referring to the best players from his draft class but lesser talents that FTG brought up.

He has exceeded my expectations thus far although I want to wait and see how he does when teams start to whittle down their rosters and the competition becomes harder. Its one thing to beat Brett Kulak (Flames 5/6th best D prospect), its a whole another if you are going up against the likes of Giordano or Brodie.

1 hour ago, stawns said:

He played this way from Jan on last season and I'm confident he'll continue on the same trajectory of he goes back to Utica.  The difference is he had zero offensive players to play with last year and this season he will have offensive support. 

That's true about the offensive support. I feel like Virtanen's going to pick up a lot of things from Boeser that will help him be a goal scorer in the NHL. 

35 minutes ago, Erik Karlsson said:

That's true about the offensive support. I feel like Virtanen's going to pick up a lot of things from Boeser that will help him be a goal scorer in the NHL. 

Careful. That's another one in the + column for sending Boeser to Utica :lol:

9 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Careful. That's another one in the + column for sending Boeser to Utica :lol:

Haha if they continue this play throughout the rest of pre season against legit NHL line ups I think they'll both make it. Im not really sure how with all the forwards we have, but it's going to be interesting. Hoping we make a trade, Dorsett or Sutter.

Just now, Erik Karlsson said:

Haha if they continue this play throughout the rest of pre season against legit NHL line ups I think they'll both make it. Im not really sure how with all the forwards we have, but it's going to be interesting. Hoping we make a trade, Dorsett or Sutter.

Sutter isn't going anywhere and Dorsett isn't really trade-able (coming off major neck surgery and  $2.65m cap hit) so you might have to find some other trees to bark up there ;)

8 minutes ago, Erik Karlsson said:

No other forward is really tradeable either. Especially the 6 million dollar man. 

There's room for both (at least to start) if Dorsett is 13th or on IR, Rodin could possibly be sent for a conditioning stint (1.5 years of rust) which would buy them a couple weeks (and/or as 13th if Dors is on IR).

I'm curious to see how Vanek does further in to preseason. Theoretically he could be waived/traded (though that's doubtful IMO).

I have Burmistrov penciled in but he's no lock either.

But otherwise, no, there's not really anyone we can/will trade as of yet and Gaunce will be back in Nov (probably see a conditioning stint as well), further crowding things. But there's ALWAYS injuries that open spots as well.

Edited by J.R.

I am a huge fan of Virtanen, and think that in a few years we will be very happy with him as our pick.  Him and Boesser have shown very well so far in the preseason, but they have done so mainly against rookie and AHL level competition.  As camp moves on, it will be much tougher as rosters get cut down.  I fully expect that Boesser will be on the opening day roster, and Virtanen will start the year in a primary offensive role in Utica.  He will have a chance to get top line minutes, and build on the momentum he has built up in camp, and will be an early call up when injuries or trades happen.  

While Virtanen may be ready, I see no reason to rush him onto the opening day roster.  He is still a year or 2 away from being a finished product.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, J.R. said:

Sutter isn't going anywhere and Dorsett isn't really trade-able (coming off major neck surgery and  $2.65m cap hit) so you might have to find some other trees to bark up there ;)

The way things are shaping up, I'm not opposed to the signing of Archibald and waiving Dorsett if there's no takers.  But that's more a last resort -- undoubtedly injuries are a-comin'.  As long as he's recovered from his surgery, worst-case is he will have decent value at the TDL, having only one year remaining.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, J.R. said:

There's room for both (at least to start) if Dorsett is 13th or on IR, Rodin could possibly be sent for a conditioning stint (1.5 years of rust) which would buy them a couple weeks (and/or as 13th if Dors is on IR).

I'm curious to see how Vanek does further in to preseason. Theoretically he could be waived/traded (though that's doubtful IMO).

I have Burmistrov penciled in but he's no lock either.

But otherwise, no, there's not really anyone we can/will trade as of yet and Gaunce will be back in Nov (probably see a conditioning stint as well), further crowding things. But there's ALWAYS injuries that open spots as well.

I wouldn't doubt that Burmistrov gets sent to Utica as well.

He too could be great for guys like JV, Dahlen and the rest

Honestly don't really care who has to go on waivers if Jake earns his way onto this team. His development is more of a priority than saving someone from waivers. If the NHL is the best place to do that then we shouldn't be concerned with the likes of Boucher, Burmistrov and Rodin hitting waivers.

• Upvote 1