The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

On 2018-06-05 at 11:54 PM, The 5th Line said:

I hope Jake has been noticing how much of a difference maker Wilson has been. 

Jake hit Polak very similarly to Wilson on Marchichaud (sp?). Then WD threw Jake publicly under the bus.  I think WD retarded Jake’s development with such negative comments.  Jake is only now getting past the crap WD had Jake thinking about, and he’s just playing.  I think Jake will be even more impactful a player than Wilson.  

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Jake hit Polak very similarly to Wilson on Marchichaud (sp?). Then WD threw Jake publicly under the bus.  I think WD retarded Jake’s development with such negative comments.  Jake is only now getting past the crap WD had Jake thinking about, and he’s just playing.  I think Jake will be even more impactful a player than Wilson.  

vancouver-bc-april-13-2017-willie-desjar

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

You must be a young'n. We have had some doozies. Willie no where close. 

We really have had some doozies.

But it was shocking to see a supposed coach like WD not even try to line match in the playoffs. Absolutely shocking? It was like he was coaching high school hockey, only coaches in high school line match. So I guess I'm not sure what it was like? Maybe like having a bus driver try to coach hockey? God awful.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Desjardins has to be one of the worst coaches in this franchise. 

He definitely hurt Jake’s confidence and development.  WD came advertised as good with the youth.  In Jake’s case, that was clearly not the case.

On June 8, 2018 at 6:28 AM, Where'd Luongo? said:

Image result for salty gif

While I would have to admit that some of my posts could be considered to be somewhat salty, I am curious as to what you feel is excessively salty about the post you quoted. Was it my use of quotation marks to point out the precise words that I disagree with? Or was it perhaps my use of facts and logic to make my point that you feel is inappropriate in this forum?

Edited by WeneedLumme
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Boudrias said:

You must be a young'n. We have had some doozies. Willie no where close. 

haha. I am relatively young. Not young, but I didn't follow the Canucks when they first broke into the league. 

But from my time of following the Canuck as a fan, Willie, in recent memory, has to be one of the worse. Who was worse in the course of the entire franchise? 

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

He definitely hurt Jake’s confidence and development.  WD came advertised as good with the youth.  In Jake’s case, that was clearly not the case.

I'd agree, Alf, that WD did mis-manage Jake. Didn't know how to handle the kid. 

That being said. Virtanen was arrogant as well. He needed some humble pie down in the AHL, and Greener, fortunately, was able to kick start his career again (even at a young age, he was, at that time, considered a bust by many on here). 

Willie's a nice guy. I don't hate him, but as a coach, he really was not a fit with this organization moving forward. Horvat, though, thrived within his system (I consider that a miracle, tbh). 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Stierlitz said:

That's neat. It's cool that he still acknowledges his roots here in Abbotsford. That rink is five minutes away from me! Wish I would've known.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

haha. I am relatively young. Not young, but I didn't follow the Canucks when they first broke into the league. 

But from my time of following the Canuck as a fan, Willie, in recent memory, has to be one of the worse. Who was worse in the course of the entire franchise? 

In my opinion, Laforge was the worst. He treated NHL professionals as if they were kids in Junior. His "gauntlet" drills were the last straw that caused one of the Canucks best players, Darcy Rota, to retire prematurely.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

LaForge and McCreary come to  mind. 

2 hours ago, NHL'er said:

Keenan comes to mind

I thought about Iron Mike, but unlike Laforge, Keenan at least had some significant NHL success (just not with the Canucks) including 672 wins, 9th all-time among NHL coaches, and 2 Cup final runs including a Stanley Cup win. I always disliked him, but he was not in the same class as Laforge. Or Willie for that matter.

Edited by WeneedLumme

On 6/9/2018 at 10:53 AM, Kanukfanatic said:

We really have had some doozies.

But it was shocking to see a supposed coach like WD not even try to line match in the playoffs. Absolutely shocking? It was like he was coaching high school hockey, only coaches in high school line match. So I guess I'm not sure what it was like? Maybe like having a bus driver try to coach hockey? God awful.

Gerard Gallant didn't line match & he did pretty good...just saying...

On 6/9/2018 at 11:02 AM, Alflives said:

How about in Horvat's case?

Or Stechers? Or Huttons? Baertschi, Granlund?

On 6/7/2018 at 11:29 PM, CoolCanucklehead said:

Jake is a beast once fully matured, Once he puts it all together (slowly but surely) he'll be a force to be wreckened with. 

If any of you follow horse racing you'll know what I mean here.

Jake reminds me of a very "green" horse with a ton of size, speed & power but doesn't know when exactly to use it.

This type of horse sometimes runs as a 2 year old (first year of racing age) but probably shouldn't have that much anyway.

Usually runs in the middle of the pack in the early 3 year old stage. (this is where Jake is currently/heading too)

Then once he matures as a 4 year old colt he just puts it all together & puts away all those horses that were beating him in the first few years. (AKA SEABISCUIT)

Now he just keeps up to the upper echelon for years to come as the early bloomers start to fade like a black eyed Susan in September. 

This is how I see JV playing out to some degree...

So do we put him out to pasture in his 5th year? Maybe breed him...

• Haha 1

On 6/9/2018 at 12:06 PM, WeneedLumme said:

While I would have to admit that some of my posts could be considered to be somewhat salty, I am curious as to what you feel is excessively salty about the post you quoted. Was it my use of quotation marks to point out the precise words that I disagree with? Or was it perhaps my use of facts and logic to make my point that you feel is inappropriate in this forum?

Image result for salty gif

• Haha 2