The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

On 2018-05-01 at 10:25 AM, N4ZZY said:

William Karlsson is a good example. I agree. 

But he also wasn't drafted in the first round, 6th pick like Virtanen was, which is why Jake receives so much criticism. 

I think Virtanen's going to surprise a lot of people next year. Green really broke his game down, and is hopefully building it back up to the point that he can be a goal-scorer in this league. 20 goals next season? He's going to, in my personal opinion, get very close to it.

I think people have had unrealistic expectations/understanndings of what a 6th OA pick is. Look at the history of 6OA. Recently there have been some home runs at 6 and some absolute flops (player like OEL all the way to a guy like Filatov).  

Its a tuff spot to be picked in because usually the ‘sure fire’ guys are gone but a fan base is still expecting an impact player that will be in the line up quick.  

The reality is you could just as easily be getting a Filatov or Gagner as an OEL or Monohan.

My guess is Jake will be more like another 6 in Connolly ONLY in that he’s highly touted but took some time to hit his stride.  (I think Jake will be more effective than Connolly imho). 

On 5/4/2018 at 11:50 AM, J-Dizzle said:

I think people have had unrealistic expectations/understanndings of what a 6th OA pick is. Look at the history of 6OA. Recently there have been some home runs at 6 and some absolute flops (player like OEL all the way to a guy like Filatov).  

Its a tuff spot to be picked in because usually the ‘sure fire’ guys are gone but a fan base is still expecting an impact player that will be in the line up quick.  

The reality is you could just as easily be getting a Filatov or Gagner as an OEL or Monohan.

My guess is Jake will be more like another 6 in Connolly ONLY in that he’s highly touted but took some time to hit his stride.  (I think Jake will be more effective than Connolly imho). 

I think it definitely is hit and miss with the 6OA. but usually people and fans expect a top ten pick to work out more often than not. Horvat was selected at 9th overall, and he's a very good NHL player, and I think will become better. I'm glad management is being patient with Jake. Next season is really an exciting time for Canucks fans. Maybe the Virtanen that we all thought (and management too) should have arrived in 2014, is finally coming into shape and form after a few seasons of challenges. Jake has come a long way, and while the offensive production isn't quite there yet, I really do think next year he "breaks" out, with 30-35 points. Anything more than that for his first offensive season breakout, is gravy. I can see close to 20 goals (17-18 goals) and 15-20 assists given the right linemates. If he's given offensive linemates, then I think those numbers rise a little bit (40-45 points, perhaps). 

On 5/3/2018 at 11:16 PM, Hutton Wink said:

We'll see, once he has a decade of high draft picks around him like they have.

The peg Picked like top 10 for think 7 straight years and 11 0f 13. Funny thing is They showed the league that havinf\g all these high picks at once is the wrong way to buil;d a sustainable team. I was looking at their cap this year. Less than a million to spend next year more after Stastny. They literally have almost every single player besides Mark and Ehlers due for huge raises. Mason is an anchor. Wheeler deserves at least 6 maybe more. Laine wui\ill get 9 People forget it is proven the Jets pay more for a player than any other team in the league..

Mason is an anchor who is untradeable. Helly just earned himself upwards of 6. Trouba if he will stay will want and deserves north of 7. Connor maybe 4-5? Morrissey 4-4.5? Myers 5? 

Sadly this is the shortest window i have ever seen, This year and next without most likely Little Trouba Myers. Stasny. I think Jets take a huge step bax\ck next year. 

They and the laughs have also proved that maybe Jake was the better choice. Due to his slow start, we should get him fairly cheap. Ub\nless he destroys it next year which I would be fine with,

Both those guys Heck the whole line do not look like playoff type players. Either does Willy in Toronto. 

Jake just has the right toolbox to excel IMO in the playoffs. Let's hope we find out next year

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, J-Dizzle said:

I think one thing a lot of us failed to realize was just how raw jake was.  Whether it was poor coaching or a kid who just relied on his natural toolbox too heavily (maybe both) he was drafted with all the physical tools but needed to be coached into using them in the pros. 

I agree with your assessment that he’s probably about ready to break out as it looks like he’s figured out how to use his unique set of skills.... I’m excited to see what he can do next year. 

Raw is one word.

Incomplete might have been another?  Dazzling speed & size were, and are exciting tools. Jake also scored 40 goals his draft year.  Suggesting upside?  The catch is he scored a lot of those goals in the same way.  Going wide on WHL D & in transition. Gets a lot of his NHL opportunities the same way, no coincidence. Jake may & probably will get more of those transition goals as we convert to a transition up tempo team? I personally believe we will have some incremental improvement. What Jake did not demonstrate then , and has not demonstrated now is any significant puck control or play making.

Jake, like Janek Hansen when he was here, makes pretty good instinctive 1 time passes. Where he receives a pass as he is cutting or positioned, and then either shoots (very good) or forwards the pass on.  But he's not a dangler, nor does he put guys on his hip and protect the puck in traffic, buy time, make subtle or more dynamic moves to create passing lanes or chances. What I am saying is he does not pass or handle the puck in tight & in contested possessions very well.  Just pops it towards a puck handler, and lets them do the work.

What I loved from his exit interview is that he said he had to have a goal of improving his puck handling this summer.  Better puck handling should also see him convert more of those breakaways, but its more about him being a big body who can be effective in the offensive zone. Get his stick on more pucks in front of the net as well...  

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Raw is one word.

Incomplete might have been another?  Dazzling speed & size were, and are exciting tools. Jake also scored 40 goals his draft year.  Suggesting upside?  The catch is he scored a lot of those goals in the same way.  Going wide on WHL D & in transition. Gets a lot of his NHL opportunities the same way, no coincidence. Jake may & probably will get more of those transition goals as we convert to a transition up tempo team? I personally believe we will have some incremental improvement. What Jake did not demonstrate then , and has not demonstrated now is any significant puck control or play making.

Jake, like Janek Hansen when he was here, makes pretty good instinctive 1 time passes. Where he receives a pass as he is cutting or positioned, and then either shoots (very good) or forwards the pass on.  But he's not a dangler, nor does he put guys on his hip and protect the puck in traffic, buy time, make subtle or more dynamic moves to create passing lanes or chances. What I am saying is he does not pass or handle the puck in tight & in contested possessions very well.  Just pops it towards a puck handler, and lets them do the work.

What I loved from his exit interview is that he said he had to have a goal of improving his puck handling this summer.  Better puck handling should also see him convert more of those breakaways, but its more about him being a big body who can be effective in the offensive zone. Get his stick on more pucks in front of the net as well...  

i am actually about Jake's invested interest in becoming a better handler with the puck, he said specifically he wanted to improve his hands (i hope that means his shot as well). but if he could dangle with the best of them, AND improved his shot this off-season, boy oh boy, we might be in for a special treat next season for a break out. here's to hoping! 

• Like 4

He needs a few finishing moves for when he cuts hard to the net...  and another forward needs to go hard when he does this as they can clean up the possible rebound for a garbage goal....  he was doing good for shots, increasing his shot total to 245, (up from 174 from his rookie season), this past season and his shooting % was 7.5%, where did he start out too, on the 4th and was around there until towards the end of the season. 

He also seemed more comfortable with his physical play than he did before which is nothing but great news for Canucks fans, as he had 156 hits, and most of his hits were well timed and not headhunting hits.  It's not the number of hits but the types of hits that can change games, take away the oppositions confidence when Virtanen comes on the ice.

If Coach Green starts him on the 3rd line we might see increased production and shot totals, always a good thing.  Wasn't he playing pretty good with Gagner for awhile too, Gagner took the zone entries and drop passed to his wingers and they had time and space to get a shot off, (saw both Virtanen and Boeser as recipients)...

Edited by Sugar baby watermelon
  • Upvote 2

On 5/5/2018 at 4:47 PM, wildcam said:

Everyone is going to be very happy with Jake and his complete game very soon...He showed big signs of improvement this year thanks to all the work Green and coach staff are doing..

Jake is using his speed and size to drive to net causing scoring chances every time ..

Jake will be a 18-25 goal guy very soon...Next season i Predict GP 75 G 19 A 25 PTS 44 and he will continue to improve his game... Jake 22, 6'1, 218 Speed and grit, big shot, excited to see him next season...

NEXT WENDALL CLARKE

• Like 1

Just now, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Yeah, seems like he’s staying out of trouble theses days, and when you do here about him, it’s for good stuff like this:

Complete 180 from the reports last summer. Seems he actually gets it.

• Upvote 2

Jake posted a picture to Instagram today with Pavel Barber.  This guy trains with pros, prospects and top upcoming youth specifically on stick handling.  A summer with Barber could bring a whole new dimention to a potentially lethal Jake.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Bo53 said:

Jake posted a picture to Instagram today with Pavel Barber.  This guy trains with pros, prospects and top upcoming youth specifically on stick handling.  A summer with Barber could bring a whole new dimention to a potentially lethal Jake.

Boi got skillz.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

16 hours ago, Bo53 said:

16 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Boi got skillz.

Oh man. Imagine Virtanen with these hands:

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1