The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Nick Ritchie where offense goes to die. God he's slow.

So nice to see Virtanen get to play in the top 6 with McDavid. Where he should have been at the start of the tournament imo.

It's really hard to label the top 6 at this point because Petan is playing ridiculously well and leading the tournament in points. I think - other than the 4th line - the top 9 all get quality minutes. Obviously, Reinhart's line gets the most (EV) because they are just amazing - McDavid and Petan's EV minutes probably depend on who's hot on any given night.

Domi - Reinhart - Duclair (1st line)

Fabbri - McDavid - Virtanen (2A)

Crouse - Petan - Lazar (2B)

So long as he's out of that 4th line, Virtanen should get some quality 5on5 minutes. Petan or McDavid, it really doesn't matter at this point because both are great and both lines get minutes.

Glad that Virtanen's worked his way up into a top 9 role. Let's hope he stays there.

Edited by Dasein

Looked really good out there had some nice moves 1 on 1, a couple negatives from the game were getting rocked by the German guy, after he powered his way in along the boards and beat the defender with a nice move he has to pass it to mcdavid in front instead of the bad angle shot, and I don't think he got all of that shot in slot after getting set up nice by mcdavid (didn't seem very hard compared to how he usually shoots).

I think his idea was to get a shot so that there would be a rebound for his linemates.

It was a tough angle to make a pass from too. If he had tried to dish it and it went to no one, people would be wondering why he didn't shoot. It's just one of those things. He ran out of space.

Are we watching the same clip? From what I see..

a) There were two open Canadians and a late German backhecker

B) There's no way a first round pick misses a straight pass from that distance

c) He was shooting to score, I don't think the word rebound is even in this kids vocabulary, if he has the puck he wants to be the one putting it in the net.

d) Space was not an issue at all....

• Upvote 2

I'd rather Jake make that play today against GErmany in a game that's already over and look at it on tape so that he can make the higher percentage play next time when it counts. All in all not a bad game. He is a dangerous offensive player and definitely a gamebreaker, hope he stays with McDavid on that line. Groulx probably didn't know much about Virtanen, but he's learning quickly.

• Upvote 2

Virtanen is what the 2nd youngest player on Canada? JV is still discovering his game. This tournament will be a great development process for him. I wondered about the shot from the deep angle with two line mates out front as well. I will assume that JV thought the tender might cheat off the post because of them. His best scoring chance was a blast from 25 feet out in front(other than the break away). It sailed above the cross bar but wow what a shot.

I don't think to much should be read into the coach moving players up or down. Trying different combos makes sense. The biggest thing I have noticed is Ritchie's play. Not much there so far. He was already the 13th forward before the misconduct.

Virtanen is what the 2nd youngest player on Canada? JV is still discovering his game. This tournament will be a great development process for him. I wondered about the shot from the deep angle with two line mates out front as well. I will assume that JV thought the tender might cheat off the post because of them. His best scoring chance was a blast from 25 feet out in front(other than the break away). It sailed above the cross bar but wow what a shot.

I don't think to much should be read into the coach moving players up or down. Trying different combos makes sense. The biggest thing I have noticed is Ritchie's play. Not much there so far. He was already the 13th forward before the misconduct.

3rd. mcdavid and Crouse are both younger/

The 1st two periods were disappointing due to his lack of playing time. When he was put on the McD line, it took him some time to play at that level, but he ended up looking really good.

When he was drafted, I was concerned that he would be like David Booth with better hands. Now that I've seen him play a bit; I still see some David Booth, but Jake is nowhere near as reckless and seems a lot stronger. I like what Bob Mc had to say about his creativity, which shows that Jake is learning new ways to play his game. I can see so much potential at such a young age. He's going to be a very good NHL player.