The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

omg lmao Same 'temper expectations' talk about Horvat. Wrong.

Meanwhile, team motto is now 'Change is coming.' If Virtanen is great in camp, and he will be, then he's going to make the team.

okay so in your previous post you claim that he can EASILY make he team next season and also thatbe would have made the team this year if not for his injury.

Then you go on to say that IF Virtanen is GREAT in camp he will.make the team.

2 very different statements. You just contradicted yourself in back to back posts. Having a great nhl camp is not easy for any player.let alone a 19 year old.

Edited by Gooseberries

Better than omg lmao, but late. Already said by someone else.

I'm confident in Virtanen's ability to get it done.

I do agree with you that jake has the ability (size speed skill) to make the club next year. I just dont know what benning plans on doing with the veteran log jam we have in front of our prospects.

His skating ability isn't as much of an issue when he has good positioning.

Virtanen still needs a bit of work on his positioning and reads. If he can work on that, then he definitely has a chance.

Yeah I've noticed quite abit his wrong reads, but I have notice he collapses and gives good support. This says to me, he is defensively responsible although maybe not complete in that aspect & I think that will go a long way in improving his chances of making the big club next season. It'd be nice for Horvat and Virts to have 3-4 seasons of big league experience when the Sedins retire.

Virtanen, Jensen, and Shinkaruk are all looking good, but only one will have a solid shot at making the team next year. Vey, Daniel, Kassian, Vrbata, Burrows, and Higgins are all taking top 9 winger spots. I'd assume Jensen would have the edge due to his experience, but Virtanen would not be AHL eligible and may warrant a nine game look due to that and a solid pre-season.

Virtanen, Jensen, and Shinkaruk are all looking good, but only one will have a solid shot at making the team next year. Vey, Daniel, Kassian, Vrbata, Burrows, and Higgins are all taking top 9 winger spots. I'd assume Jensen would have the edge due to his experience, but Virtanen would not be AHL eligible and may warrant a nine game look due to that and a solid pre-season.

To be honest, I kind of hope players like Higgins and Hansen aren't here next year. Don't get me wrong: they're great to have around, but they're getting older.

I think if we need a proper change we need less of those players that "help" but also stunt our grow at the same time.

To be honest, I kind of hope players like Higgins and Hansen aren't here next year. Don't get me wrong: they're great to have around, but they're getting older.

I think if we need a proper change we need less of those players that "help" but also stunt our grow at the same time.

I forgot to put Hansen in my post lol. I put Higgins there because of his contract. I'm assuming there will be a trade or seven that'll make room if needed.

Higgins and Hansen's contracts are reasonable. It is Burrows's contract that isn't.

This has nothing really to do with whether or not a contract is reasonable. If we want a youth movement, then some of these players have to go eventually. It's about the roster spots themselves.

Hansen's contract is still good and he can still skate like the wind. However, he's like the fastest guy we have and his hands aren't there.

Hansen's contract is still good and he can still skate like the wind. However, he's like the fastest guy we have and his hands aren't there.

Speed doesn't always mean the "right" guy for our team. If Hansen gets beat out by Virtanen for example, too bad for Hansen. There are a lot of speedy players in this league who end up being tossed off the wayside simply because they didn't bring more than the guy replacing them.

• Upvote 1

Virtanen can easily make the team next season and if not for the shoulder he likely would have made the team as an 18yr old this season. He already has an NHL body, an NHL shot, NHL physicality, and NHL speed. Only thing for him is to develop a bit more of the mental side of the game, but that can be done ala Bo Horvat as a 19yr old is this season.

Change is coming.

Can we sim to next season?

I want another young player in the line up that creates excitement. Bo was exciting at first but he isn't flashy. I am feelin some Jen, shin, or virt :)

Virtanen is years away from hitting the NHL; he needs to use his line mates better. Be a bit more smart with the puck, lets see how he does against real skilled teams like Finland and USA

Virtanen will be fine. I'm more concerned about how some other players on Team Canada do.

He's not 'years' away from the NHL. Likely less than 1 year. He uses his linemates fine, and is fairly smart with the puck, as shown by his ability to score with it where some other players could not in the same situation.

More to the point with regard to this team (Change is Coming) is that there aren't many, if any, players on the team that are permanent fixtures. Benning will make room if need be.

Edited by BanTSN

Virtanen is years away from hitting the NHL; he needs to use his line mates better. Be a bit more smart with the puck, lets see how he does against real skilled teams like Finland and USA

I don't think years. Probably 1 year or less.

Benning knows best as he mentioned Virtanen needs to be paired up with good line mates and he'll be awesome with them if so.

• Upvote 1

Virtanen can easily make the team next season and if not for the shoulder he likely would have made the team as an 18yr old this season. He already has an NHL body, an NHL shot, NHL physicality, and NHL speed. Only thing for him is to develop a bit more of the mental side of the game, but that can be done ala Bo Horvat as a 19yr old is this season.

Change is coming.

Totally agree with your comment.

The future seems exciting!