The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Benning talked about the style of play he wants the team to play, on TSN1040, (hard, up-tempo, and coming from his background he wants physical play as well) and said, with regards to Virtanen, "He'll be fun to watch next year."

... as if it's a lock that he makes the team. It could very well be poor wording but it sure sounds like Benning expects him to play in the NHL.

Benning talked about the style of play he wants the team to play, on TSN1040, (hard, up-tempo, and coming from his background he wants physical play as well) and said, with regards to Virtanen, "He'll be fun to watch next year."

... as if it's a lock that he makes the team. It could very well be poor wording but it sure sounds like Benning expects him to play in the NHL.

He also touched on how he told WD that Bo was good a the little things and that he would like his game as a teenage rookie. I don't think JB can say the same things about Jake to Willie next season.

Jake is going to have to play a gritty and soundly defensive game to make the big club next year, which in that case, I hope he stays in Junior to work on his overall game and dominate offensively and at the WJC.

• Upvote 1

He also touched on how he told WD that Bo was good a the little things and that he would like his game as a teenage rookie. I don't think JB can say the same things about Jake to Willie next season.

Jake is going to have to play a gritty and soundly defensive game to make the big club next year, which in that case, I hope he stays in Junior to work on his overall game and dominate offensively and at the WJC.

ya but willie will like when he launches a player through the boards trust me

Yeah, I don't think it's as much of a lock as some others seem to think. I wouldn't say it's an impossibility but considering the circumstances (Vrbata, Burrows, Kassian, Hansen ahead of him) he's going to need an impressive camp.

My preference at this point is to see him play another full WHL season with a full summer of working out.

That being said, I wanted Horvat to return to the OHL and look how freakin' wrong I was about that one.

• Upvote 2

Yeah I was just about to mention that. Loved hearing that. He'll get his 10 games for sure. If he plays well, he will stay.

Jake defensive game is decent enough to force a turnover from the defensive zone and put it back into the other side of the rink, seeing how he did it quite often in the WJC his speed alone makes him good back checking the opposition. His passing ability is quite underrated if you've seen the highlights from the WJC he actually made a lot of good passes that lead to scoring chances.

Yeah, I don't think it's as much of a lock as some others seem to think. I wouldn't say it's an impossibility but considering the circumstances (Vrbata, Burrows, Kassian, Hansen ahead of him) he's going to need an impressive camp.

My preference at this point is to see him play another full WHL season with a full summer of working out.

That being said, I wanted Horvat to return to the OHL and look how freakin' wrong I was about that one.

He seems ready physically. He should at least get his 10 games.

Burr can play the left too I think.

Edited by Jiggs50

Doesn't seem iike there is enough room with Vey, Jensen, Bear and Kenins all having to pass through waivers and the risk of losing one. We need some room as it is not even looking at Virtanen as a possibility. No need to rush him anyways, nothing wrong with another year of junior taking a more leadership role and being a big part of the world juniors.

I just came on here to write about the same observation. Your take is exactly what I heard, because he was talking about how he gets in fast on the forecheck and should be exciting to watch next year. If he was still in junior, how would that be different than this year, unless it's as a Canuck, . . . because he like Bo next year won't be able to play for the Comets.

Does that mean he is a lock, no but it definitely sounds like JB sees him on the team.

Listen at around the 52:40 minute mark, almost at the end of the tape on 1040.

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040-i-1410/benning-canucks-adding-to-core-with-baertschi-1.220601

Edited by Stormriders

Take your time with Jake. He has plenty of things to learn, he has great raw tools with speed, skill and the shot but learning to make right decisions with the puck, knowing what to do in certain situations. I think he'll learn alot in the AHL, Travis Green sounds like a smart guy so I think Virtanen will learn from a different perspective than junior coaches.

• Upvote 1

Virtanen belongs in the AHL next season. Not junior and the NHL is questionable. What a bullsh@@ rule.

Jakes an animal he just needs to be tamed. Green needs to get his hands on him and teach him a proper 2 way game. Once he adds that piece to his game we have a gem.

Edited by messier's_elbow

Virtanen belongs in the AHL next season. Not junior and the NHL is questionable. What a bullsh@@ rule.

Jakes an animal he just needs to be tamed. Green needs to get his hands on him and teach him a proper 2 way game. Once he adds that piece to his game we have a gem.

that rule is in place to keep the chl alive. Could you imagine going to see a game without any drafted prospects? Pretty much an echl game.
  • Upvote 4

that rule is in place to keep the chl alive. Could you imagine going to see a game without any drafted prospects? Pretty much an echl game.

This. Any other argument is pretty much moot unless it involves significant compensation to the CHL team so they can still be a strong development option for the majority of other players not falling into the in between category.

If they can't keep star players around when they don't make the NHL, then they can't draw fans. If they can't draw fans, then they can't afford to keep operating at the same level. If they can't afford to keep operating, then they can't develop young Canadian hockey players.