The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Has Virtanins place just been surplanted by Baertschi ? Baertschi can not be waived next season...Vitanin obviously can.

Wrong wing. If any prospect feels more pressure it's Shinkaruk, but for now both are Comets anyway. There will be a lot of moving parts going forward obviously, so it's pretty hard to draw conclusions now. Change is coming.

image_zps6f8bni08.jpg

Saturday's game versus the Rockets. Went with a few friends. Incredible talent on the ice, future NHLers without a doubt, and was nice to see Jake pop away a PP goal and tally an assist (secondary) on the game winning goal. Went to see him play, was a long shot to beat the Rockets but they did it somehow :)

I'm hoping that Virtanen plays another season in Calgary. The overage players will be gone and JV's offensive game will be as consistent as it was last season due to a complete summer of training.

Should the above happen, I'm hoping the Hitmen make two stops to the Coliseum next season. I cannot understand why the Giants played two games in Calgary this season instead of splitting the two games home/away. Therefore, costing us a chance to watch JV live.

I agree with the most of ya, I dont think Virtanen is near a lock to make the team next year.. I think nucks management will give him another full injury free year(knock on wood) to dominate down in the W. And play in the world juniors, hopefully along side McCann. But if he has a terrific camp and forces his way onto the roster, I dont think any of us would have a problem with that either. So many good young prospects, can't wait for two years down the road

I agree with the most of ya, I dont think Virtanen is near a lock to make the team next year.. I think nucks management will give him another full injury free year(knock on wood) to dominate down in the W. And play in the world juniors, hopefully along side McCann. But if he has a terrific camp and forces his way onto the roster, I dont think any of us would have a problem with that either. So many good young prospects, can't wait for two years down the road

I don't think they'll force him if he's not ready but they'll more than likely want and push him to his limits to make it. JB has been saying all season long how much he wants to inject youth season by season and his praise for Jake has been very high. The way he's talked about him, seems almost automatic he'll be given his 9 games. Management wants to see what he can do asap so I think they will give him every oppurtinity to make the roster if he's ready and shows that.

Has Virtanins place just been surplanted by Baertschi ? Baertschi can not be waived next season...Vitanin obviously can.

Certainly it complicates things for Jake. I suppose if they let all of Matthais, Dorsett and Richardson walk there could still be a place for him. Don't see that happening, though.

I don't think they'll force him if he's not ready but they'll more than likely want and push him to his limits to make it. JB has been saying all season long how much he wants to inject youth season by season and his praise for Jake has been very high. The way he's talked about him, seems almost automatic he'll be given his 9 games. Management wants to see what he can do asap so I think they will give him every oppurtinity to make the roster if he's ready and shows that.

I hear ya man, and I agree. Jim has had great things to say about him.. same with McCann, he just recently stated that he sees McCann coming into camp next year and turning heads and could force his way onto the roster.. if either are ready then so be it. I just see players like Baertchi or Jensen getting a longer look for next year. Either way I love our prospects and have full faith in our gm to put them in the right spot to succeed and grow to their full potential. I do hope jake cracks the team next year.

And I enjoy reading your posts man, one of a few people I've really agreed with everything posted since I've been following this board.

The Hitmen take out the best team in the WHL 2-1.

Virtanen with a goal and an assist.

2nd star I guess. 1st De Niro 4 posts, Virtanen 2 points haha. De Niro please change to a Raging Bull shot! Thanks for the updates!

I think virtanen makes the team next year if for no other reason than he adds that "get people out of their seats" excitement that's so badly needed on this team. Either a big goal or a big hit. The fan base is starting to dwindle and management has to be concerned

I think virtanen makes the team next year if for no other reason than he adds that "get people out of their seats" excitement that's so badly needed on this team. Either a big goal or a big hit. The fan base is starting to dwindle and management has to be concerned

I really doubt it. The highest pick since the Sedins, the first pick in Benning's tenure here as GM, kid with a ton of hype (partly due to being a local kid)... I think that the team will do everything it can to make sure he is developed properly and not just force him in as a kind of PR move.

There's also no guarantee he will make that sort of impact. The hype will be there to start but who knows what happens during the season? He would still be a teenager playing in the best league in the world, remember.

The worst thing that could happen to the Canucks is for Virtanen to bust because they valued (maybe) one good year of ticket sales over proper player development.

If the best move is for him to make the team, he will. If not, he won't.

I agree with the assessment of Canucks1219. The last thing we want to do is turn Virtanen into a Bärtschi type project for another team. Patience can be a complicated virtue for some GM's.

I agree with the assessment of Canucks1219. The last thing we want to do is turn Virtanen into a Bärtschi type project for another team. Patience can be a complicated virtue for some GM's.

It's hard to imagine a spot for Virtanen on this team especially now that we have Baertschi who won't be waiver eligible next year.

Vey and Baertschi have to be on the Roster, Horvat is basically a lock and Gaunce and Jensen will be pushing hard for spots as wingers as well.

That's a lot of young guys competing for spots on a team full of vets. Who knows, shinkaruk might even come to camp ready.