The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

I really don't see them starting Vey in the pressbox. It just doesn't seem like the right thing for him right now. I think that barring an upset its Kenins and Vrtanen.

Vey might be traded to make room for Virtanen. Benning traded Clendenning, why not Vey? Virtanen needs a spot, and maybe some other guys too?

A 6th overall pick deserves a nine game trial. He proved that he was capable of keeping up at the AHL level, I want to see him be given a chance. He's one of those types of players who could legitimately make the leap from Junior to the NHL with ease. It would be a shame to see him toil an extra year in the WHL without being given a chance with the Canucks... even if it's for nine games or less.

He'll be given a chance in preseason. If he's not ready he won't see the 9 games.

Horvat didn't get 9 games after his first camp and it wasn't until after he'd had a successful junior season with not only solid two way play but also increased offensive production that he got his shot and stuck. Virtanen is coming into the second season after his draft similar to Horvat, but hasn't seen all aspects of his game at the level that Horvat was in his last year of junior. And this will be his first pro camp and preseason.

It's possible he earns those 9 games (or even that he sticks beyond that), but it's no guarantee he's gifted them.

Prust can and has played C. He's just better at wing.

Currently he's just as good an option (better imo) as Vey at 4C (whose also better on wing).

As I said, IMO Vey, Prust and Virtanen will be rotating in/out of the 4C and 4W roles (Virtanen only playing W).

While I agree Prust has taken some faceoffs the last few seasons (55 in 2012/13, 125 in 2013/14, 31 last year), it's nowhere near on par with the amount of faceoffs a regular center would have. Jacob De La Rose took 5 times as many faceoffs last year (and he's a left wing) in 33 games with Montreal than Prust did in 82. Even Prust's best year (125 in 52 games) was no where near De La Rose last year.

Maybe they want to try and convert him, but I haven't seen anything to suggest that. It'd be a risk to have him as the 4th line center option unless it was only in open play (like when we used to let Malhotra take the draws then immediately change). That is not what you want on a team rolling all four lines.

Edited by elvis15

Like I said before, the Canucks--for perhaps the first time in history--have many young guys that can come in and play. Virtanen is jus one of em.

This exactly. Cassels might surprise a lot of people. I see him coming up from Utica, and anchoring or fourth line. I don't know when that call up comes, but like Kessler, once he comes up, he's not going back.

While I agree Prust has taken some faceoffs the last few seasons (55 in 2012/13, 125 in 2013/14, 31 last year), it's nowhere near on par with the amount of faceoffs a regular center would have. Jacob De La Rose took 5 times as many faceoffs last year (and he's a left wing) in 33 games with Montreal than Prust did in 82. Even Prust's best year (125 in 52 games) was no where near De La Rose last year.

Maybe they want to try and convert him, but I haven't seen anything to suggest that. It'd be a risk to have him as the 4th line center option unless it was only in open play (like when we used to let Malhotra take the draws then immediately change). That is not what you want on a team rolling all four lines.

For me, I just seem him as the better option between him and Vey (who IMO they're moving to W with occasional C use). But as I said, I can see Prust, Vey and Virtanen all rotating in/out. They'll all get time either on 4W or 4C.

Other than that there's the long shot of Cassels but he's Utica bound IMO. He's going to be VERY good but not quite yet ready IMO.

Who else is going to play 4C?

He'll be given a chance in preseason. If he's not ready he won't see the 9 games.

Horvat didn't get 9 games after his first camp and it wasn't until after he'd had a successful junior season with not only solid two way play but also increased offensive production that he got his shot and stuck. Virtanen is coming into the second season after his draft similar to Horvat, but hasn't seen all aspects of his game at the level that Horvat was in his last year of junior. And this will be his first pro camp and preseason.

It's possible he earns those 9 games (or even that he sticks beyond that), but it's no guarantee he's gifted them.

Yeah, I don't think they use Prust as a C. They start out with Vey and keep an eye on how Cassels is doing in Utica. If Cassels looks NHL ready during the season, I can see him slipping into the 4th C roll when an injury happens. Vey seems like a better option at W anyways.

This exactly. Cassels might surprise a lot of people. I see him coming up from Utica, and anchoring or fourth line. I don't know when that call up comes, but like Kessler, once he comes up, he's not going back.

Kesler had a lot more going for him at the time than Cassels does now, he could skate himself out of any problem he got himself in.

Having said that, Kes DID get sent down after his first call up and proceeded to excel at the AHL. Cassels may well stick, but the comparison is off a bit.

Kesler had a lot more going for him at the time than Cassels does now, he could skate himself out of any problem he got himself in.

Having said that, Kes DID get sent down after his first call up and proceeded to excel at the AHL. Cassels may well stick, but the comparison is off a bit.

I respect the correction. I still believe Cassels skates a lot better than we think. Plus, his hands are far superior to (stone hands) Kesler. He's smart, tough, talented, competitive, skilled, and a winner.

If I'm not mistaken , Kesler started the 2003-2004 season with the Moose.

Then was called up & never returned to Manitoba.

The only reason he did play for them during the 2004-2005 season was due to the lockout.

Otherwise he would have been a full-time Canuck.

For me, I just seem him as the better option between him and Vey (who IMO they're moving to W with occasional C use). But as I said, I can see Prust, Vey and Virtanen all rotating in/out. They'll all get time either on 4W or 4C.

Other than that there's the long shot of Cassels but he's Utica bound IMO. He's going to be VERY good but not quite yet ready IMO.

Who else is going to play 4C?

That's a good question. Benning, want to help us with that?

At this point it's Vey or maybe we see someone impress at camp (maybe a PTO?). Our center depth outside the top 9 isn't exceptional even if we have options who could be ready with a little time.