The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

I would consider Ekblad a franchise player, Seguin a very very good player and key element on that team.

You're right, it depends on definition. I don't see anyone from Virt's draft class, outside of the top 3-4, that I would consider franchise guys that you build your entire team around.

Most of the time Franchise players get picked as sleepers. To look at a draft and say its a bust or there will be only two or three players before any games. Well we can look back at drafts 10 years ago and make those conclusions.

Most of the time Franchise players get picked as sleepers. To look at a draft and say its a bust or there will be only two or three players before any games. Well we can look back at drafts 10 years ago and make those conclusions.

I would say most of the time franchise players get selected with the first few picks.

Stawns is referring to specifically that draft year FWIW, not drafts generically. It was not noted as, nor does it appear to be now, a particularly strong draft class. Short of a surprise here and there, he's likely correct that outside the top 3-4 there will be very little in the way of elite, franchise players.

I would say most of the time franchise players get selected with the first few picks.

Also that ^

Edited by J.R.

How did you like Naslund?

Loved Naslund. Planted a tree in the yard, and named it Marcus. I have trees for Daniel, Henrik, Bertuzzi, Linden and Bure. I would never plant a tree for a guy named "Wee Willie". And this is not the name I gave him. It's what is used during the Leaf's play-by-play, and it's spreading. He's a soft perimiter player. If that's what people like in their players, that's fine. He's not Marcus, and he's not Kane. He's more like Vey than any of those other guys. And I'm not a fan of Vey either.

Except Zhuk plays a lot harder on and off the puck game than Wee Willie.

I feel like u just make assumptions... Have ever even seen this guy play haha, he plays against men and provides tons of offence, Zhuk plays against kids and does well.

I'd obviously much rather have a guy who's proved against men. But that's why he was chosen top 10 and not 5th round lol

I feel like u just make assumptions... Have ever even seen this guy play haha, he plays against men and provides tons of offence, Zhuk plays against kids and does well.

I'd obviously much rather have a guy who's proved against men. But that's why he was chosen top 10 and not 5th round lol

I think the poster, who first mentioned Zhuk in comparison to Nylander, was making the point that small, soft, perimiter, one dimensional players are better taken in the later rounds, because of their high bust potential. And please stop with the "lots of love" acronym. Even sassy furry muppets have their limits:)

As per usual the Jake Virtanen Talk has gone down the toilet and became a Nylander bash/ball grope session. So how about that guy Jake?

We could bash Ehlers too!

I love what Jake brings. He's big, fast, physical - on and off the puck, and he affects the game in a variety of ways. Should he be on the team though, considering the way he plays? Is he physically mature enough to stand up to solid men without hurting himself? Would spending another year in Junior retard his development? If sent to Junior, could the Canucks convince the Hitmen to trade him to Kelowna or Vancouver?

That very much so remains to be seen.

Just like all players in that draft. We see Ekblad and Bennet, but the rest we are still waiting to see. Jake has the size, skill, and physical presence to impact the game right now. Most of those other guys picked around him don't.

Just like all players in that draft. We see Ekblad and Bennet, but the rest we are still waiting to see. Jake has the size, skill, and physical presence to impact the game right now. Most of those other guys picked around him don't.

Well he's gonna have to start making an impact then or junior it is. Iv liked his game but not to the point of keeping him up here full time. (iv been flip flopping because of his inconsistencies)

The exact same things could be said about Kassian, and he hasn't been able to put it together yet. I'm not suggesting that he's a bust or anything, but the kid hasn't even played one NHL game yet, and he didn't exactly set the world on fire in his last season with the Hitmen/Comets playoff run/first Canucks preseason game.

Let's just wait and see before we start declaring him a "good player (NHL-wise, anyways)". As of this moment, he's a "good prospect."

The exact same things could be said about Kassian, and he hasn't been able to put it together yet. I'm not suggesting that he's a bust or anything, but the kid hasn't even played one NHL game yet, and he didn't exactly set the world on fire in his last season with the Hitmen/Comets playoff run/first Canucks preseason game.

Let's just wait and see before we start declaring him a "good player (NHL-wise, anyways)". As of this moment, he's a "good prospect."

Exactly why I think Virt around and under their total guidance.