The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Honestly, I dont see many posters claiming hes going to be a top scorer. I think its more about the overall impact he may be able to have on games. Im not saying goals and assists arent important, but that will be one tool in Jake's repertoire.

I would agree with this. I do not have the expectation of Virtanen becoming an Iginla, or an elite scorer. He will be a terrific player, that does well in many facets of the game. 25/25 in his prime is a reasonable prediction imo. Chris Kreider clone.

Jake's a 40 point player in his prime IMO. Really hope I'm wrong but he hasn't showed me anything to make me think otherwise. I will run and hide now while the blind homers on here throw stuff at me

ya, chris higgins(14th overall) combined with raffi torres(5th overall). strong wrister which wears out goalie crests and a north-south game hitting everything. it's his speed at his large size/physicality that makes him one of a kind.

May be more entertaining, but it may not put up more points.

Edited by Edlerberry

He is similar to Kass. He has the ability to shoot, score and hit. The hope is he can do it better than Kass.

Talent without work ethic is wasted talent. Champions are made of talent and a never ending work ethic. One thing we know for sure jake knows he needs to be one of the hardest working to be the player we want.

He unlike Kassian actually has a deep passion. Kass is a joke. U want players who want to win not ones that need to be motivated to show up if you want cups.

Our vets are teaching our youngsters that. That's why Prust and Sutter are key additions. Bonino no showed in playoffs. Better this way.

Edited by Rush17
  • Upvote 2

Alf has never seen Nylander play, he watched Ehlers once and has labelled him a "bust". Alf is just a huge homer and every prospect we have is the best in the league.

I agree 99%. I think Vey is soft, and not an NHL player. I also have been critical of Shinkaruk for being a perimeter player. I never liked Jensen. Yes, I cheer for our guys to be better than other team's prospects. My opinion is biased, of course. E en weighing my bias I still don't like Nylander's game, and dislike Ehlers even more.

Nylander is gonna be a top player. The sooner everyone can just accept that, the sooner we can move on and focus on Virtanen being the best player he can be.

This is your biased opinion, which you are entitled to. I believe he's too soft to be an effective player on a winning team. Jake, on the other hand, will be a hugely super effective player, that helps us win. Someone here actually compared this Nylander to the Twins. That's quite sickening. I guess they are swedes? Nylander reminds me if Inge Hamistrom.

This is your biased opinion, which you are entitled to. I believe he's too soft to be an effective player on a winning team. Jake, on the other hand, will be a hugely super effective player, that helps us win. Someone here actually compared this Nylander to the Twins. That's quite sickening. I guess they are swedes? Nylander reminds me if Inge Hamistrom.

It's not a biased opinion. I hope he doesn't become a star because that would mean we missed out.

But people thinking that he's gonna be a bust are in for a surprise. He's got all the makings of a first liner.

Nylander is gonna be a top player. The sooner everyone can just accept that, the sooner we can move on and focus on Virtanen being the best player he can be.

I think Nylander will be a Grabner kind of player, with an admittedly higher ceiling. He'll be good, but certainly not a franchise player, same as Jake, same as every other player outside of the top 3-4 in that draft.

• Upvote 1

I think Nylander will be a Grabner kind of player, with an admittedly higher ceiling. He'll be good, but certainly not a franchise player, same as Jake, same as every other player outside of the top 3-4 in that draft.

Yea exactly. If you ain't in the top 4 you ain't $&!#.

Lol at Jamie Benn trying to play like a franchise player. Doesn't he know his place??

Jake with sutter might actually be a pretty decent pairing

Looking forward to seeing how they do because it's definitely an intriguing option

Virtanen with Sutter certainly sounds like an good option, but I liked the Baertschi-Sutter-Vrbata line.

Maybe it will be down to Gaunce-Horvat-Hansen or Virtanen-Sutter-Vrbata/Hansen.

I don't think Gaunce and Virtanen will both make the team, as it looks like Baertschi has a spot locked up. However, Baertschi seemed to have good chemistry with Vrbata, and Horvat could also slot in between the two. In that case, Hansen could play with Virtanen and Sutter to form a fearsome forechecking line. But Gaunce-Horvat seems pretty appealing...

Nylander and Grabner don't even play alike.

The nylander thing is really blown out proportion. I personally don think he will ever become s top line player in the nhl, more of a career top 6 offensive player. I see him more or less like Sven baertchi, not to mention we drafted someone I think that will be better then him in boesser. I'm happy with virtannen.

Whatever makes u sleep better at night. We didn't pick the BPA and that's the fact of the matter. It was very obvious at the time, and now with hindsight it's not even debatable. If there were to be a redraft done at this point, the only people picking Jake in the top ten of last years draft are CDC homers. He's tracking very similarly to Raffi Torres who ironically was taken 5th overall. That's not to say the Jake won't be a good player in his own right. He just isn't projecting to be the type of player you look for offensively at 6th overall.

• Upvote 1