The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

21 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Another poor attempt at trying to make me feel stupid from, Canorth. 

Clearly what I meant by what I said was that the ideal situation would of been that Virtanen came in to the season, played well and then didn't need to be loaned to Canada because the Canucks liked how he was developing in Vancouver.  But unfortunately this is not the case and he is being sent to Helsinki. 

Get it? Got it? Good

I'm not trying to make you feel stupid. I am trying to point out some very clear inconsistencies in your reasoning. This appears to be an absolute "can not win" perspective you have for Jake. 

I agree, it would have been an ideal situation if Jake killed it in the NHL, but to hold people (especially teenagers) to ideal standards, is not realistic, and they certainly shouldn't be considered disappointments if they don't meet them. 

Like you said "what's the big deal" - this happens quite often.

FYI 

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/leafs-loan-kapanen-to-wjc-nylander-undetermined/

Edited by Canorth

37 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

No you just don't understand anything that I am saying and you're blowing everything out of proportion.  

What you are saying is not complicated at all.   I think the hard part is you are wishy washy and have no idea what you are actually talking about.   

Take the morning off.   Think about how you actually feel about the subject.  Put together your thoughts, and THEn come here and discuss it.  

He isn't making you look stupid. 

You are

Virtanen making the team probably shouldn't have happened to begin with.   He has show he is physically ready, but that's about it.    

I'm stoked for what he can become, but right now WJ and maybe back to the chl is what's best for him. 

I hope e gets an opportunity to be in a top line scoring role with team canada. 

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, drummerboy said:

Virtanen making the team probably shouldn't have happened to begin with.   He has show he is physically ready, but that's about it.    

I'm stoked for what he can become, but right now WJ and maybe back to the chl is what's best for him. 

IMO based on the comments made by Linden in the above article, there is a strong likelihood that he does get sent back. I hope it happens, not  just because I think it is the best place for him. I can't wait for the flip flop from the "Virtanen is too good to play in a kid's league" crowd. 

1 hour ago, Toews said:

IMO based on the comments made by Linden in the above article, there is a strong likelihood that he does get sent back. I hope it happens, not  just because I think it is the best place for him. I can't wait for the flip flop from the "Virtanen is too good to play in a kid's league" crowd. 

I don't recall many (any?) people saying that. I do recall people saying it would be better for his development to play (even half) of the season at the NHL level as he'll learn more and be challenged more than coasting at 80%, dominating smaller 16 year olds the entire season on a mediocre team with questionable coaching and systems.

I've said right from the start, give him his 9 games and see how he does. If he doesn't crap the bed, (he didn't) keep him up. From there, send him to the WJC and reevaluate closer to the 40 game mark. If he regresses at that point, send him back (hopefully after 'encouraging' a trade to a better Jr. team). If he's showing signs of continued improvement and getting comfortable, keep him up.

I look forward to seeing how he plays at the WJC and how he responds when he gets back. I'm hopefull he'll have a good WJC and come back to the Canucks with added confidence and vigor. If not, he'll likely be sent down and I'll look forward to seeing his progress next camp.

Edited by J.R.
  • Upvote 2

13 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Starting in Utica next season should benefit him.

I actually think Horvat could use some time down there, but obviously that's not gonna happen.

Agree about Virtanen in Utica. Bo just needs to play a lesser role, he doesn't need the AHL. He's playing some really tough minutes, it's a big step from mostly being a 4th liner last season.

10 hours ago, drummerboy said:

I would love to see Jake play on the top line, but he will most likely be a PK, energy guy for Team Canada, slotting in as a great utility option for the coach where he is needed.

11 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

No you just don't understand anything that I am saying and you're blowing everything out of proportion.  

We understand exactly what your saying. You don't think Jaje is ready for the bigs. He isn't at the moment but they want to develop him properly with good habits. They don't need him floating in Calgary. He might take a few years to turn into a game changing stud. I for one have patience.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, NEON.KNEE said:

I would love to see Jake play on the top line, but he will most likely be a PK, energy guy for Team Canada, slotting in as a great utility option for the coach where he is needed.

The top line has already been established, according to TSN. But Jake is a strong candidate for a 2nd line spot, and possibly an A on his jersey.

6 minutes ago, Canucks Prophet said:

The top line has already been established, according to TSN. But Jake is a strong candidate for a 2nd line spot, and possibly an A on his jersey.

yea I saw that article the other day as well.  Jake is better suited to a 2nd line role.  And I suspect he will see some time on the PK.  I am sure that the Team Canada coach is licking his chops at the thought of having a weapon like Jake at his disposal.  The other teams will be terrified when he is on the ice and Jake will wear down the opposition for the top line.

6 minutes ago, NEON.KNEE said:

yea I saw that article the other day as well.  Jake is better suited to a 2nd line role.  And I suspect he will see some time on the PK.  I am sure that the Team Canada coach is licking his chops at the thought of having a weapon like Jake at his disposal.  The other team's 4th line will be terrified when he is on the ice and Jake will wear down the opposition's third D pairing to no affect on the score.

FTFY:rolleyes:

8 minutes ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

Jesus can we at least see even one game before we decide jake is s useless twat?

No cause according to the 5th line 30 pro games is enought to justifying calling him a twat and saying he wouldn't be a valuable member of the Canadian WJ team

8 hours ago, Toews said:

If he gets sent back to the minors he gets sent back to the minors. It doesn't change the fact that he earned a spot on this team at the beginning of the year and played to earn it. Like I've said in the past, I have a lot more trust in what Benning says than I have in most of the guys here and it's not just because of hockey experience. Benning simply has more inside knowledge about the while situation. We don't.

Edited by The Lock
  • Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, NEON.KNEE said:

People are seriously this salty around here?  Anyone that thinks that the Team Canada coach will not use a returning medalist with NHL experience in key situations is clearly a twat.

Your sarcasm is not really a sacracsm.

I assure you even though "Virt" have an experience in the NHL or a medalist in a tourney that apparently didn't matter, if a player is better than him in that role I wouldn't use Virt.

I wouldn't be surprised if Virt plays a 3rd or 4rth line role with his North South type of game, and won't probably be even put on the PK as he doesn't defend well enough. One piece of sugar is that he maybe used for PP unit,but of course only if his offensive positioning is better than most of the people around there.

2 minutes ago, Cowardrobertford said:

Your sarcasm is not really a sacracsm.

I assure you even though "Virt" have an experience in the NHL or a medalist in a tourney that apparently didn't matter, if a player is better than him in that role I wouldn't use Virt.

I wouldn't be surprised if Virt plays a 3rd or 4rth line role with his North South type of game, and won't probably be even put on the PK as he doesn't defend well enough. One piece of sugar is that he maybe used for PP unit,but of course only if his offensive positioning is better than most of the people around there.

HUH?

Your sentences is not really a sentences dude.

the TL:DR version of those words you posted is that Jake will get to play in scenarios where he is the best player available....which is exactly what I am suggesting... the only difference in my opinion and yours is that yours hold Jake in a  negative light, suggesting he is not a good player, when I am saying the opposite, that Jake will be one of the best options at Pk and in an energy role.

1 minute ago, NEON.KNEE said:

HUH?

Your sentences is not really a sentences dude.

the TL:DR version of those words you posted is that Jake will get to play in scenarios where he is the best player available....which is exactly what I am suggesting... the only difference in my opinion and yours is that yours hold Jake in a  negative light, suggesting he is not a good player, when I am saying the opposite, that Jake will be one of the best options at Pk and in an energy role.

Ha, sure man I'll be watching him used in an  energy role, and maybe even watch him kill a PK too.

• Upvote 1