The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

19 hours ago, Alflives said:

Yes JV will be an effective player, bu we need elite skill too.  Do we have any first line guys, other than Jake?  Austin Matthews with Jake would be great.  We need a special player to slide into Henrik's spot.  Is there another elite centre in this draft?

That's not the team we're building. If an elite/generational guy falls in our lap, great but it's not the plan. 

10 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

I have always been impressed with Jake's forechecking, with his stick work, speed and power.  It's the lack of offensive instincts that are  concerning to me. 

Now that he's spending more regular shifts with Baer/Bo, he appears to be getting more chances.  His presence on that line is obvious and his speed and power are making the line tougher to skate against.

I don't see Jake becoming a huge offensive player (like Boeser), but I suspect that he will be a very significant piece on the team.

I expect Jake to build his reputation as a hard, HARD, hitter in this league and one that everyone should fear. For me, once he establishes that, the numbers will climb. 

I mean, nobody should be safe on the ice when Jake is on. In junior he was coming down to low to the opposite wing just to lay guys out. Willie won't have that this year, by as he gains more freedom and confidence, he should be allowed to level anyone he wants.

2 hours ago, CANUCK-EXPRESS said:

Virts need to be better at passing. Some times it's too hard and high but he made a very good backhand pass to Horvat for a break away last game and also made a nice pass to Baer against Calgary. Hope he keeps working at it. 

I think that'll come as he keeps growing as a player and gains more confidence. He's slowly starting to get more chances, defensive game isn't perfect but he's learning. I think we'll all be surprised at his hands in a few years 

3 hours ago, CANUCK-EXPRESS said:

Virts need to be better at passing. Some times it's too hard and high but he made a very good backhand pass to Horvat for a break away last game and also made a nice pass to Baer against Calgary. Hope he keeps working at it. 

He makes some nice passes with open ice for sure, for him to be more effective he needs to get better at the cycle game. He often makes a poor pass or just looks confused on where to go. 

34 minutes ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

He makes some nice passes with open ice for sure, for him to be more effective he needs to get better at the cycle game. He often makes a poor pass or just looks confused on where to go. 

He's still spending time thinking instead of just playing.

It'll come, people just need to be patient. He's already improved a LOT in that regard since the beginning of the year.

9 hours ago, J.R. said:

He's still spending time thinking instead of just playing.

It'll come, people just need to be patient. He's already improved a LOT in that regard since the beginning of the year.

True, it's worrisome when a guy seems to lack instinct but he is improving I can give him that and that's all you can ask for in a young prospect.

9 hours ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

True, it's worrisome when a guy seems to lack instinct but he is improving I can give him that and that's all you can ask for in a young prospect.

Most young players who aren't exceptional take time adjusting to NHL systems, speed etc. It takes a while for things like positioning, where does the coach want me, where's the puck going and when, where's my teammate going to be etc to become 'automatic' and allow them to get back to playing instinctual rather constantly thinking and reacting.

Virt's ice time has been creeping up as well as he's been getting better in that regard and more play time generally leads to exponential growth in that regard (more reps, more second nature, less thinking).

6 hours ago, J.R. said:

Most young players who aren't exceptional take time adjusting to NHL systems, speed etc. It takes a while for things like positioning, where does the coach want me, where's the puck going and when, where's my teammate going to be etc to become 'automatic' and allow them to get back to playing instinctual rather constantly thinking and reacting.

Virt's ice time has been creeping up as well as he's been getting better in that regard and more play time generally leads to exponential growth in that regard (more reps, more second nature, less thinking).

True enough, there is no doubt it is hard for really young players with all the pressure to come in and relax, not think and play instinctively while trying to learn to play with pro players and pro systems.

The thing I find with Virtanen is when you compare him to his peers, guys like McCann or when he's in the world juniors playing with guys his age is that he looks lost and out of position more than other guys in the same situation. I almost never notice McCann looking lost in the offensive zone or just going to wrong place on the ice, but with Virtanen it's pretty often your just scratching your head wondering why he went there or did that. But like I said he is improving and maybe it will never be a strong suit of his but he has a lot to offer with his skill set and if he keeps improving then that's all a fan can hope for. 

1 minute ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

True enough, there is no doubt it is hard for really young players with all the pressure to come in and relax, not think and play instinctively while trying to learn to play with pro players and pro systems.

The thing I find with Virtanen is when you compare him to his peers, guys like McCann or when he's in the world juniors playing with guys his age is that he looks lost and out of position more than other guys in the same situation. I almost never notice McCann looking lost in the offensive zone or just going to wrong place on the ice, but with Virtanen it's pretty often your just scratching your head wondering why he went there or did that. But like I said he is improving and maybe it will never be a strong suit of his but he has a lot to offer with his skill set and if he keeps improving then that's all a fan can hope for. 

Hard to say how much is nature vs nurture there.

By many accounts the Hitmen's 'systems'/coaching was never a strong point. So some of it could be due to that. He may simply be a couple years 'behind' on learning proper systems, positioning etc. 

Virtanen, while certainly not clueless at 'thinking' the game, is no Sedin either. Nor should people expect him to be. So some of it is probably non-elite natural 'IQ' ability as well. (Note that doesn't mean low IQ, just that he's not elite in that regard).

Then there's the aforementioned adjusting he's be doing to NHL speed/opponents/team mates/systems etc.

Most likely, it's a combination of all those things that has lead some to determine that he's been underwhelming so far. My opinion is that they're lacking context, patience and are looking for the bad.

• Upvote 1

I'm not going to say I wouldn't still rather have Nylander all day every day, but been pretty happy with Jake since he came back from the WJC's. He's still got a long ways to go, but it's nice to see him start to get it and not have to be absolutely babied out there in deployment. 

3 minutes ago, FlyLow_ said:

I'm not going to say I wouldn't still rather have Nylander all day every day, but been pretty happy with Jake since he came back from the WJC's. He's still got a long ways to go, but it's nice to see him start to get it and not have to be absolutely babied out there in deployment. 

And you think Nylander won't need a baby sitter?  Seriously?  Don't be too shocked when your hero is traded for a second round pick.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

And you think Nylander won't need a baby sitter?  Seriously?  Don't be too shocked when your hero is traded for a second round pick.  

So typical, can't like a player that wears a different sweater. But no, Nylander is widely regarded as one of the best players not in the NHL right now, and no he won't need to be sheltered because he's being developed properly.

4 minutes ago, FlyLow_ said:

So typical, can't like a player that wears a different sweater. But no, Nylander is widely regarded as one of the best players not in the NHL right now, and no he won't need to be sheltered because he's being developed properly.

I like plenty of players not wearing the Canuck's sweater: there are the guys in Utica, and most in Kalamazoo!  :lol:.  Alf turtles really easy and likes his tummy rubbed - just like Nylander!  :frantic:

• Upvote 2

Jakes starting to show that he is an effective player that helps you win nightly. That is great for a 19 year old. I hope he continues to have the game slow down for him as he speeds up so he can start to make more dynamic plays in one on one battles driving to the net. 

That's exactly what's happening with Horvat actually. Last year drove the net, but couldn't get shots off. This year drives the net and scores some goals.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, FlyLow_ said:

To be quite honest... anything can be said when the player haven't even played a single NHL game yet. It is far too early to say Nylander would not need to be sheltered.

• Upvote 1