The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

10 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Not a gif, but here

How soft was Hamilton on that play?  He needs to make Jake take the body, but blows snow to avoid the Jake Train.  Jake's already intimidating the other teams' D with his forecheck.  This kid is really something special.::D

• Upvote 4

Anyone who expects Jake to score  40goals, 40 assists a season are out to lunch..

I fully expect Jake to be a 25-30 goal 20 assist guy with physical play and speed, and that is perfectly fine. You do not win the cup with a top 6 based purely on skill, and talent. Infact both LA(x2), and Boston won the cup without a ppg scorer in the regular season.

Another point I would like to make is that the highest scoring season by a player drafted 6th overall since 1995 is 71 points by Mikko Koivu, so people need to relax on their expectations for Jakes scoring production.

Edited by logic

2 hours ago, Spotted Zebra said:

I think his best play of the game was the goal, but when he thread the needle to send Baertschi on a breakaway who ended up hitting the post.

Passing accurately isn't as strong as his other parts of the game so it was nice to see

Cannot remember the period but Virtanen went cross ice pass to I assume Baer for a open net shot but the pass was either to hard or the winger simply missed it. His passes are usually pretty hard. Fans should be excited about Jake.

5 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

It was one play.  If Linden Vey lays a good body check, do we consider him a physical player? 

That play was quite interesting actually, he had him lined up perfectly and then let up at the very last second and took the puck away from Dougie like it was his lunch money.  Made it look easy.

Maybe that's why Boston traded Hamilton?  I was actually shocked to see Hamilton shy from contact.  He's a really big guy, so absorbing contact should be a strong suit, shouldn't it?  

6 hours ago, Alflives said:

How soft was Hamilton on that play?  He needs to make Jake take the body, but blows snow to avoid the Jake Train.  Jake's already intimidating the other teams' D with his forecheck.  This kid is really something special.::D

That he is, if we're patient with him he could be something really great for us in a few years. :)

5 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

It was one play.  If Linden Vey lays a good body check, do we consider him a physical player? 

That play was quite interesting actually, he had him lined up perfectly and then let up at the very last second and took the puck away from Dougie like it was his lunch money.  Made it look easy.

Sounds like your coming around on Jake? It's all about patience. He was always a raw prospect that needed a lot of coaching. Ehlers is looking good along with Willie but Jake will be a beast in future playoffs. So much like Krieder.

11 minutes ago, messier's_elbow said:

Sounds like your coming around on Jake? It's all about patience. He was always a raw prospect that needed a lot of coaching. Ehlers is looking good along with Willie but Jake will be a beast in future playoffs. So much like Krieder.

Yes JV will be an effective player, bu we need elite skill too.  Do we have any first line guys, other than Jake?  Austin Matthews with Jake would be great.  We need a special player to slide into Henrik's spot.  Is there another elite centre in this draft?

6 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

I wonder if it was more a statement about Jake or more about Dougie.  Was not impressed with Hamilton last night.

A lot of Jake's passes are off the mark or go to nowhere, but the one he laid in for Baertschi was golden.

While he's a great skater, perhaps the biggest factor about it is his first two steps.  He is constantly able to beat guys to loose pucks in the offensive zone, despite having to get all that mass moving.  Once he learns to dish it to the playmaker and go to scoring position and/or the dirty areas, the numbers will climb.

51 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

I have always been impressed with Jake's forechecking, with his stick work, speed and power.  It's the lack of offensive instincts that are  concerning to me. 

well. Jake's on pace for what. 7-8 goals this season? as a 19 year old. not too bad. I'm hoping he doubles that next season though. anything less may be deemed as disappointing for him. either that. or management sends him down to the AHL along with McCann to work on their games. being counted on as top offensive players with Utica. I wouldn't mind that scenario either. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

well. Jake's on pace for what. 7-8 goals this season? as a 19 year old. not too bad. I'm hoping he doubles that next season though. anything less may be deemed as disappointing for him. either that. or management sends him down to the AHL along with McCann to work on their games. being counted on as top offensive players with Utica. I wouldn't mind that scenario either. 

15 goals in the nhl is alot to expect from a 20 year old.