The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

48 minutes ago, Spotted Zebra said:

Which is also his surgically repaired shoulder in case anyone was wondering.

Damn, I was wondering about that.

As others have mentioned, I've seen him wince a few times after big shoulder checks this season. Hopefully not a permanent issue.

Virtanen has been playing a lot better recently. His physical game has translated very effectively to the NHL level. That was the first challenge for him, to keep his physicality up. Hopefully he can continue to get better in that area and then we will have a true physical force at forward. His scoring should start to increase in about 2 years. Once it does, he will be a beast for us.

• Upvote 1

Didn't this goal by Jake against Calgary show good hockey sense? Some people here thought he had poor hockey sense.

"In short, hockey sense means being one step ahead of the play. It’s about going to where the puck will be, and reading where your team mates and opponents will be. Now that we have a better understanding of hockey sense, lets learn how we can develop it."http://howtohockey.com/hockey-sense-yes-you-can-learn-it/

Virtanen must be a fast learner if he started this season having poor hockey sense.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Alexandre said:

Didn't this goal by Jake against Calgary show good hockey sense? Some people here thought he had poor hockey sense.

"In short, hockey sense means being one step ahead of the play. It’s about going to where the puck will be, and reading where your team mates and opponents will be. Now that we have a better understanding of hockey sense, lets learn how we can develop it."http://howtohockey.com/hockey-sense-yes-you-can-learn-it/

Virtanen must be a fast learner if he started this season having poor hockey sense.

I think people mix up hockey IQ with play making.  Imo his play making ability sucks ass. He doesn't play the game like a sedin would. He's very north south. Like Kessle ovechkin.  

2 minutes ago, Gooseberries said:

I think people mix up hockey IQ with play making.  Imo his play making ability sucks ass. He doesn't play the game like a sedin would. He's very north south. Like Kessle ovechkin.  

Ahh, I see. Makes sense. He definitely is nothing like a Sedin.

17 minutes ago, Alexandre said:

I don't think it's fair to make a judgement off of one play, whether good or bad.