The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thatcher Demko | #35 | G

Drouin

11 minutes ago, TheYjUstMaKeYoUwooZy said:

This is very true.... Which is why a lot of people think he will go the UFA route if he doesn't sign in the next few weeks.  It is fairly obvious that if he wants to play for the nukcks then he needs to sign this year, get one year of pro under Green and step into the backup roll in 2017-18 season.

one thing I haven't seen anyone mention that might have some weight is the expansion draft. 

If Demko signs with Vancouver and stays in the AHL he won't have to be protected if the expansion happens in 2017.... As long as he doesn't get more than 9 games(I believe) next year with the nucks.  

If he goes the UFA route then whichever team he goes to would have to protect him from the expansion team or take a chance he gets picked up.

Are you kidding? Schneider had at 3 years in the A, Demko should as well - at least 2.

20 minutes ago, TheYjUstMaKeYoUwooZy said:

This is very true.... Which is why a lot of people think he will go the UFA route if he doesn't sign in the next few weeks.  It is fairly obvious that if he wants to play for the nukcks then he needs to sign this year, get one year of pro under Green and step into the backup roll in 2017-18 season.

one thing I haven't seen anyone mention that might have some weight is the expansion draft. 

If Demko signs with Vancouver and stays in the AHL he won't have to be protected if the expansion happens in 2017.... As long as he doesn't get more than 9 games(I believe) next year with the nucks.  

If he goes the UFA route then whichever team he goes to would have to protect him from the expansion team or take a chance he gets picked up.

No player under 3 years of turning Pro need to be protected, he could sign tomorrow and he would not have to worry about expansion draft

15 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

Demko's choice

Sign now with the 1 team that chose you in the draft, OR, Sign after next year with your choice of 1 of 30 teams.

Which option would you choose in that scenario?

I give up some people are hopeless, how do you go outside if there is a chance of dieing everytime you leave your home?

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Gstank29 said:

I give up some people are hopeless, how do you go outside if there is a chance of dieing everytime you leave your home?

Do you think that Demko is going to die?

I guess so, we all die eventually. $&!#e happens

3 minutes ago, Gstank29 said:

Hey!  More people die IN THEIR homes than outside.  

Alf has flipped on this issue.  Demko will sign with us, and be on the Utica team for their playoffs. 

Alf reserves the right to flop, for he is great.:lol:

21 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

Demko's choice

Sign now with the 1 team that chose you in the draft, OR, Sign after next year with your choice of 1 of 30 teams.

Which option would you choose in that scenario?

There are only a few teams I would consider not playing for and I think i'd voice that during any interviews before the draft. Despite me saying that, I think i could be easily convinced to play for the team that drafted me. I'm not Demko, or an NHL prospect for that matter but I think it depends on the type of person you are. It's a business at the end of the day.

I am 95% sure Demko signs with the Canucks either this summer or the next, and if we lose him, tough luck, can't blame Benning for that. 

5 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Like Cory Schneider? The last goalie the Canucks drafted from Boston College?

I like you, but I hate comments like this. Ya, ok, sure, I guess because Cory Schneider turned out to be a superstar, Thatcher Demko will too. What was I thinking. 

There has been a lot of goalies between Demko and Scnieder who had outstanding seasons then disappeared into the darkness. 

4 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

I like you, but I hate comments like this. Ya, ok, sure, I guess because Cory Schneider turned out to be a superstar, Thatcher Demko will too. What was I thinking. 

There has been a lot of goalies between Demko and Scnieder who had outstanding seasons then disappeared into the darkness. 

All very true.  However, the value of Demko as an asset is very high. Offer him the world, get him signed and then TRADE HIS ASS to Edmonton for something shiny. How's that plan?

• Upvote 1

Didn't his dad go to school here?  Did he not pay his own way to one of the canucks camp?  Did he say he would play for Vancouver if they drafted him during the draft interviews?  .

I'd be more concerned with Boston winning the draft lottery, which is happening quite a bit for me today:(

• Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

I don't think you realize what is in involved in becoming a world class goaltending prospect. He's been dominant in every league he's ever played in, and represented his country on several occasions. I don't need to remind you that Cory did much of the same. Thatch is held in considerably higher esteem as a college and junior athlete than Cory Schneider ever was, though.

But I agree with your overall sentiment. The position is impossible to pin down really. Some guys dominate for years and then lose that magic completely, forever. Some guys build character over their years for a late career resurgence (a la Tim Thomas). Some guys go straight in. But even Carey Price took years as a pro to develop into the athlete he is today. All I can is that Thatcher Demko looks a lot more like a Price than any prospect we've ever had in our system before. That alone deserves addressing, and quickly.

Edited by nergish
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, nergish said:

I don't think you realize what is in involved in becoming a world class goaltending prospect. He's been dominant in every league he's ever played in, and represented his country on several occasions. I don't need to remind you that Cory did much of the same. Thatch is held in considerably higher esteem as a college and junior athlete than Cory Schneider ever was, though.

But I agree with your overall sentiment. The position is impossible to pin down really. Some guys dominate for years and then lose that magic completely, forever. Some guys build character over their years for a late career resurgence (a la Tim Thomas). Some guys go straight in. But even Carey Price took years as a pro to develop into the athlete he is today. All I can is that Thatcher Demko looks a lot more like a Price than any prospect we've ever had in our system before. That alone deserves addressing, and quickly.

Yes I get it, but remember Jack Campbell? I'd give you a list of 1,000 more but I'm nearly done taking a poo and I have things to do.

Being a highly touted goalie prospect is completely meaningless. There is no trend or specific pedigree that makes a goalie great. More times than not, a great goalie comes out of nowhere. One can almost argue that goalies with overly high expectations tend to disappoint.

If you want to get your hopes up about Demko being a Vez caliper goaltender, have atter. 

1 hour ago, Sedinery33 said:

No player under 3 years of turning Pro need to be protected, he could sign tomorrow and he would not have to worry about expansion draft

As I understood it that's wrong.... If th expansion draft is held in 2017 and Virtanen stays up next year he will be entering His 3rd year and will have to be protected.  I might have understood that wrong but that's how it was explained to me.

I also thought the pro rule does not apply to UFA which he would be if not aCanuck 

Edited by TheYjUstMaKeYoUwooZy

6 minutes ago, TheYjUstMaKeYoUwooZy said:

As I understood it that's wrong.... If th expansion draft is held in 2017 and Virtanen stays up next year he will be entering His 3rd year and will have to be protected.  I might have understood that wrong but that's how it was explained to me.

I also thought the pro rule does not apply to UFA which he would be if not aCanuck 

Any player that's still under their entry level contract does not need protection and is not eligible for the expansion draft. 

57 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

Yes I get it, but remember Jack Campbell? I'd give you a list of 1,000 more but I'm nearly done taking a poo and I have things to do.

Being a highly touted goalie prospect is completely meaningless. There is no trend or specific pedigree that makes a goalie great. More times than not, a great goalie comes out of nowhere. One can almost argue that goalies with overly high expectations tend to disappoint.

If you want to get your hopes up about Demko being a Vez caliper goaltender, have atter. 

Goalies that don't win don't even get a shot at the NHL. Scouts sure spend a heck of a lot of time evaluating junior goaltenders for what you're saying to be true...

Yes, I do remember Jack Campbell. Never cared much for his play tbh. But then you look at an equally talented/highly regarded prospect like John Gibson, who by all accounts is the real deal. 

I'm going to fire off some names off the top of my head:

Andrei Vasilevskiy
Semyon Varlamov
Cory Schneider
Steve Mason
Carey Price
Marc Andre Fleury
Tuuka Rask
Jacob Markstrom

these guys ALL had scouts salivating as they came up through the ranks. You're absolutely right that goalies can leapfrog one another by performing well, but to say these types of goalies haven't earned the right to greater opportunity is a tad foolish.

and even guys like Kari Lehtonen or Devan Dubnyk have made careers for themselves, if slightly disappointing based on expectations.

Edited by nergish

Damn some of you just never learn.....

The kid said he needed a few weeks to think things over and decide, it hasn't been that few weeks yet....

Stop acting like that girl freaking out about the guy not calling back when its only been 5 minutes since he drove you home. :rolleyes:

Edited by Kakanucks
  • Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Gooseberries said:

Any player that's still under their entry level contract does not need protection and is not eligible for the expansion draft. 

The proposed rules were 2 years of pro hockey.

•  

• First- and second-year pros -- including those playing pro hockey at any level -- will be exempt from the expansion draft. But if they're entering their third year of pro hockey, they're no longer exempt. Teams would have to either protect them or expose them.

But technically if the expansion draft is held in before July 1st, Virtanen will still be in his second year of pro, so he shouldn't have to be protected.

One thing is a bit concerning is the college pick rule

Unsigned draft picks (think college or European players) are exempt from the expansion draft for two years from their draft year but not in Year 3, so teams will have to either rush to sign those guys or simply expose them in the expansion draft.

So we'd need to sign some of our players just to protect them.

24 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

The proposed rules were 2 years of pro hockey.

But technically if the expansion draft is held in before July 1st, Virtanen will still be in his second year of pro, so he shouldn't have to be protected.

One thing is a bit concerning is the college pick rule

So we'd need to sign some of our players just to protect them.

Ah. Thanksfor clearing that up.

2 hours ago, Gstank29 said:

Was this really necessary?

Mac just outlined Demko's options. Are we supposed to pretend that the option of going to FA doesn't exist just because you don't like to hear it?

1 hour ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

I could wrong but I believe there is signing bonuses to sign with the team you were drafted by,mcorrect me if I'm wrong.  Heard this over at hfboards.com.

also what's the compensation if we don't sign him ?

I don't think this is true. The only benefit is he will get his signing bonus this year as opposed to next year. To a guy that hasn't earned anything in his career thus far, that is a decent amount of money.

Compensation for college players drafted is only available for 1st round picks. In that case the compensation is the pick used to draft player + 30. For example the last college player that didn't sign with his team was Kevin Hayes who was drafted at #24. The compensation was pick #54 in the 2015 draft. It is the reason why pick #61 last year (Jeremy Bracco) was considered a 2nd round pick. 

• Upvote 1