The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thatcher Demko | #35 | G

Drouin

I sure hope he signs this year.  I think it is important for him to get a year in Utica under his belt before makes the transition to the NHL.  (And we're going to need him after Miller is gone)

Wasn't it just late last year everyone was saying we couldn't expect to see Demko with the Canucks for another 3-4 years?

29 minutes ago, DontMessMe said:

Maybe this is why Calgary passed up on him? Too risky to draft NCAA players 

This is a VERY interesting point.  I wonder if these college guys will fall in the draft because of the RISK that goes with them?

I do believe DEMKO signs with us, and plays in UTICA for their playoffs.

34 minutes ago, thejazz97 said:

Imma rant quick:

Reveal hidden contents

FRICKS SAKES YOU GUYS DEMKOS NOT LEAVING US WHEN HE'S BEEN TO TWO DEVELOPMENT CAMPS (LIKELY A THIRD THIS SUMMER) WITH SMILES, GOTTEN TO CONTROL THE CANUCKS SOCIAL MEDIA,  MADE FRIENDS WITH GUYS LIKE MCCANN AND CASSELS AND PAYS HIS WAY NO LESS WE'VE GOT A GREAT TEAM COMING UP IN THE FUTURE WHICH WOULD BE STUPID TO LEAVE NOW WE'LL DEVELOP HIM PROPERLY AND WE'RE ON THE WEST COAST WHICH IS RIGHT UP THE COAST FROM HIS HOME IN SJ JUST LET HIM DO WHAT HE WANTS TO DO AND HE'LL PLAY FOR US WHEN THE TIME IS RIGHT EVERYTHING WILL WORK OUT JUST FINE

There. Ranting is good for the soul.

Really good insight. These kind of facts have helped me with my fear of Demko splitting. Solid post, Jazz!

2 minutes ago, ReggieBush said:

If he does leave, not saying he will just hypothetically speaking.

Ah, so you meant potentially he could maybe choose to abuse the system, which still isn't really abusing the system but rather picking the allowable option. Glad we cleared that up.

2 hours ago, Gooseberries said:

I guess you just put more faith into rumours from trusted sources than i do. Like i said a rumour means nothing to me.

Cool, so you aren't worried then about something that has a minimal chance of happening I guess - or do you put more stock in a small percentage option than a rumour from a trusted source?

I'm just pointing out what is more likely to happen based on what we know. Sure, he could choose to go the UFA route, and maybe he is undecided about that at this point, but it's likely that chance he does so only increases slightly from now to when he could choose to do another year to when he could decide not to sign with the Canucks and test free agency.

Edited by elvis15

1 minute ago, elvis15 said:

Cool, so you aren't worried then about something that has a minimal chance of happening I guess - or do you put more stock in a small percentage option than a rumour from a trusted source?

If you're referring to the Demko thing I won't be worried until he confirms a 4th season.

1 minute ago, elvis15 said:

Ah, so you meant potentially he could maybe choose to abuse the system, which still isn't really abusing the system but rather picking the allowable option. Glad we cleared that up.

It's finding a loophole that shouldn't be allowed. A team spends a high pick on a player, and he decides not to sign? If Eichel held out for 2 or 3 years then as a free agent signed anywhere he wanted to, do you not think its wrong?

1 hour ago, DontMessMe said:

Maybe this is why Calgary passed up on him? Too risky to draft NCAA players 

The more likely reason was that they already had a extremely highly regarding NCAA prospect goalie in the system. (Jon Gillies) GM's often diversify the leagues their tender products play in, since it is just a toss of the dice in their development.

Also please note, that over the past week FOUR of Demko's core teammate's have signed with their NHL team. The likelihood of them challenging for a national championship next year is getting slimmer & slimmer.

(the wild just signed both Adam Gilmour & Alex Tuch, who is a huge loss to their offense. earlier the devils signed both Steve Santini & Miles Wood) they also lost their captain after his 4th year.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Gooseberries said:

If you're referring to the Demko thing I won't be worried until he confirms a 4th season.

I won't be worried either way unless there's something to indicate he's not willing to sign with us. The chance that happens does not increase drastically if he wants to stay at BC for another year, it just allows for the possibility vs signing him now.

1 minute ago, ReggieBush said:

It's finding a loophole that shouldn't be allowed. A team spends a high pick on a player, and he decides not to sign? If Eichel held out for 2 or 3 years then as a free agent signed anywhere he wanted to, do you not think its wrong?

People keep saying loophole, but who says it's not something the NHLPA bargained for? As has been covered in other posts, a junior player could chose to not sign with the team that drafted him, re-enter the draft after two years, then chose not to sign with the new team either. That'd allow him to be a free agent and pick the team he wants just the same as the clause in the CBA that allows college players to do so after completing 4 years of school. And of course overseas players have always been a risk for this, but no one's arguing that those 'loopholes' be closed.

• Upvote 2

It's going to be really fun around here to witness the reaction of some guys who have been freaking out over Demko when it's announced he is signed. Are you going to put down your pitchforks because Benning did good?

If, the unlikely outcome of him deciding to not sign with the Canucks happens, I hope to god, and I know you won't think rationally then as you don't now, but I am hoping you realize it has nothing to do with the Canucks or Jim Benning, but rather with Thatcher and his right to determine his own career. Management have done everything to get him signed, and you can only do so much.

I hope you voice your outlandish rage in the right direction if the unthinkable happens - which it won't. 

Edited by DeltaSwede
  • Upvote 2

Just now, elvis15 said:

I won't be worried either way unless there's something to indicate he's not willing to sign with us. The chance that happens does not increase drastically if he wants to stay at BC for another year, it just allows for the possibility vs signing him now.

People keep saying loophole, but who says it's not something the NHLPA bargained for? As has been covered in other posts, a junior player could chose to not sign with the team that drafted him, re-enter the draft after two years, then chose not to sign with the new team either. That'd allow him to be a free agent and pick the team he wants just the same as the clause in the CBA that allows college players to do so after completing 4 years of school. And of course overseas players have always been a risk for this, but no one's arguing that those 'loopholes' be closed.

Fair enough.

3 hours ago, J.R. said:

In fairness...there's at least some background info on the Stamkos situation.

CDC is panicking because.... 'Ehrrrmagggerrrdss it's been 5 minutes aNNNNNNDD DeMMMKKOOZZZZZ nOOOO SIGN and hEEE's COLLLEGGE....ERRRMAGGHHHERDS going UUUFAFFAAAAAAA :frantic::frantic:'

There's literally NOTHING to suggest he's decided to go the 4 year and/or UFA route. Not even rumours.

And, his father tweeted today that the family are huge Ducks fans, as they live in San Diego. Hopefully, he's not waiting to be a UFA to play for them.

2 hours ago, DeltaSwede said:

It's going to be really fun around here to witness the reaction of some guys who have been freaking out over Demko when it's announced he is signed. Are you going to put down your pitchforks because Benning did good?

If they put down their pitchforks, they won't be able to type - thus you won't be able to witness their reactions. Think desi in the Subban thread before he finally got signed. Not much of a payoff for having to endure the craziness all this time.