The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] VAN acquires Linden Vey

We are going to regret not taking McKeown for sure. That being said, i doubt McKeown would have fallen to us. LA is the team he'd fall to. It's like destiny or something.

Really, McKeown shouldn't have fallen that far to begin with. Not in a draft that is kinda thin on decent defenders.

It's not like McK was an unknown either. Drafted just behind McD in that OHL draft. Him falling to 50 is strange indeed. But whatever. McCann fell to us.

We are going to regret not taking McKeown for sure. That being said, i doubt McKeown would have fallen to us. LA is the team he'd fall to. It's like destiny or something.

Really, McKeown shouldn't have fallen that far to begin with. Not in a draft that is kinda thin on decent defenders.

Amazing how everyone seems to know that McKeown is going to be a stud.

He played with Bennett, it's pretty obvious his stats were inflated. That's why he dropped to 50.

Giving up a high draft pick for Vey is bizarre. Players of his type either make it early or they don't. There's almost no chance some guy who has spent three years in the AHL is going to make it. The odds have to be at least a hundred to one. The longer one stays in the ahl the less chance there is a player is going to make it. I don't get why Vey is rated over the rest of the mediocre centers the Canucks have. You can't do a rebuild doing stuff like this. (LA probably would have just let him go for nothing in time.)- how many third line centers do we want? Good grief.

You are nothing more than a troll... Every one of your posts are filled with bashing and negativity towards the team. Why don't you find a new team to cheer for? Oh wait you are not even a fan, you are just here to troll the fanbase. Somebody check the ip of this guy. Then ban hi when you find out he's from Toronto or Edmonton :P

Rather have a somewhat proven prospect (Vey) > over a crapshoot decent junior player (McKeown). Half this board (more probably) know nothing about McKeown except what the number beside his draft ranking on Analyst X's list (which over the years has continually shown doesn't really matter past the top 10 picks).

The type of mix that JB is assembling is well calculated - but not surprised in the least.

I wasn't at all in agreement with the proposals wanting to take multiple picks / very young prospects alone for Kesler for a couple reasons. First, there is less risk involved in acquiring players that are further along their development path - their value is easier to assess. Picking up a player like Vey on the verge of NHL readiness imo is exactly the appropriate target - and particularly from a franchise that is in a tight spot with what to do with players in those circumstances (waiver eligible). I'd love to see the team do something similar and add a guy like Alex Petrovic from Florida, who likewise has a log-jam of young blueliners.

The second reason I like the fact players like Bonino, Vey, and Sbisa have been acquired is the makeup of the demographic in the system. Veterans in the 30 year range - a prospect pool that is much better than it has been in a long time, but still ripening with only a few guys really approaching NHL readiness. A few young talents on the roster in Tanev, Stanton, Kassian and the goaltenders, but aside from them, the younger guys won't necessarily be ready to step in and command important roles on the roster.

So as far as I'm concerned, Bonino at 26, Sbisa at 24, Vey at 22 are exactly the range of players that the team needed to add for balance - and players in that range also tend to be the most difficult to acquire - having both established their potential, and their best years ahead of them. I like picks like anyone else, but they tend to be significantly overvalued by a combination of perceived potential and optimism - in reality, many of those picks are peeled away over time and simply don't carry value forward.

And the team has an active roster that can win hockey games and make a realistic run at the playoffs. Never in favour of the step back to step forward method/logic - I think that is generally a faster track to being losers than it is a winning formula. Make haste and waste no time.

So I got what I wanted in the Kesler deal. Was hoping for a 2/3 tweener center, a developed future and a 1st. I was a bit disappointed to see Garrison go, and for a pick, but I look at these deals this way.

Garrison for Sbisa I can certainly live with and think it diversifies the group nicely.

Kesler for Bonino, Vey and McCann I am ecstatic about. Bonino alone could prove worth the aging, one-man way, attitudinal Kesler. Vey alone could prove as valuable as Kesler. 115 points in his last 117 AHL games is impressive - neither Toffoli nor Pearson scored at a higher pace. McCann could prove as valuable as Kesler - certainly every bit the prospect Kesler was on his draft day. So whether Kesler was a me-first, selfish jerk in the process or not, JB's return is so, so much easier to live with than a future of Kesler bombs.

The swapped 3rd for Dorsett may seem a high price for a depth forward with a year at 1.6 cap hit, but one of the other things I have really liked about these is the patently obvious extent to which TL and JB have integrated WD in the decision-making process, and are not only crafting a team in their vision, but getting their coach what he apparently knows and wants in the process.

Really hard to argue with anything they have done in the process.

Not to mention....just look at this young man.

linden_vey_los_angeles.jpg

Means business.

Said earlier..it's the psychology of it, which adds to the upside.

Vey's arrival is likely due to a ringing endorsement from his well-liked jr coach. You KNOW he's gonna' move Heaven & Earth to play all out for WD.

It should exude from guys like Vey , Hunter & Dorsett & permeate throughout the lineup.

It's also a way that JB & TL integrate WD into a feeling of them all collectively shaping a roster, & deciding together as a tight-unit.

The type of mix that JB is assembling is well calculated - but not surprised in the least.

I wasn't at all in agreement with the proposals wanting to take multiple picks / very young prospects alone for Kesler for a couple reasons. First, there is less risk involved in acquiring players that are further along their development path - their value is easier to assess. Picking up a player like Vey on the verge of NHL readiness imo is exactly the appropriate target - and particularly from a franchise that is in a tight spot with what to do with players in those circumstances (waiver eligible). I'd love to see the team do something similar and add a guy like Alex Petrovic from Florida, who likewise has a log-jam of young blueliners.

The second reason I like the fact players like Bonino, Vey, and Sbisa have been acquired is the makeup of the demographic in the system. Veterans in the 30 year range - a prospect pool that is much better than it has been in a long time, but still ripening with only a few guys really approaching NHL readiness. A few young talents on the roster in Tanev, Stanton, Kassian and the goaltenders, but aside from them, the younger guys won't necessarily be ready to step in and command important roles on the roster.

So as far as I'm concerned, Bonino at 26, Sbisa at 24, Vey at 22 are exactly the range of players that the team needed to add for balance - and players in that range also tend to be the most difficult to acquire - having both established their potential, and their best years ahead of them. I like picks like anyone else, but they tend to be significantly overvalued by a combination of perceived potential and optimism - in reality, many of those picks are peeled away over time and simply don't carry value forward.

And the team has an active roster that can win hockey games and make a realistic run at the playoffs. Never in favour of the step back to step forward method/logic - I think that is generally a faster track to being losers than it is a winning formula. Make haste and waste no time.

So I got what I wanted in the Kesler deal. Was hoping for a 2/3 tweener center, a developed future and a 1st. I was a bit disappointed to see Garrison go, and for a pick, but I look at these deals this way.

Garrison for Sbisa I can certainly live with and think it diversifies the group nicely.

Kesler for Bonino, Vey and McCann I am ecstatic about. Bonino alone could prove worth the aging, one-man way, attitudinal Kesler. Vey alone could prove as valuable as Kesler. 115 points in his last 117 AHL games is impressive - neither Toffoli nor Pearson scored at a higher pace. McCann could prove as valuable as Kesler - certainly every bit the prospect Kesler was on his draft day. So whether Kesler was a me-first, selfish jerk in the process or not, JB's return is so, so much easier to live with than a future of Kesler bombs.

The swapped 3rd for Dorsett may seem a high price for a depth forward with a year at 1.6 cap hit, but one of the other things I have really liked about these is the patently obvious extent to which TL and JB have integrated WD in the decision-making process, and are not only crafting a team in their vision, but getting their coach what he apparently knows and wants in the process.

Really hard to argue with anything they have done in the process.

Not to mention....just look at this young man.

linden_vey_los_angeles.jpg

Means business.

Right on. Good post man. I totally agree, although I'm a little too lazy to put it in to that many words.

Sounds like another Dalpe but not bad considering we only gave up a 50th in a weak draft.

His stats and projection is miles better than Dalpe's. The reason we were able to acquire him is a bit similar, but the players are not.

I love this trade. LA didn't have room for him at center and didn't want to lose him to waivers. He was a force when playing with Pearson and Toffoli. While 18 NHL games is a small sample, he was decent for it.

Using him at 3C opens up Matthias for the wing. Provided we retain Tanev and Kassian, while keeping Jensen in the lineup, I envision a roster like this (pending further trades or ufa signings) ;

Sedin - Sedin - Jensen

Burrows - Bonino - Kassian

Higgins - Vey - Matthias

Dorsett - Richardson - Hansen

Sestito

Edler - Tanev

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Stanton - Sbisa

Corrado

you do trade likes this every time, not to mention 22 to 23 year old players that have already developed in the ahl and are pretty much ready is what this team lacks, not to mention look at his stats in the ahl they are very good and his stats in the nhl arent terrible, he's as good a prospect as jensen, has just as good if not better numbers

Amazing how everyone seems to know that McKeown is going to be a stud.

He played with Bennett, it's pretty obvious his stats were inflated. That's why he dropped to 50.

All Bennett or not, he should NOT have dropped all the way to 50 in a weak defense draft year.

LA's draft table cheered for a reason. They stole another one.

Vey's alright and all, and we need to fill out the lineup, but we needed McKeown more imho.

Defense is a major, major issue going forward with the rebuild. Hopefully the Canucks have a plan to acquire some legit help there. I think going for Ekblad was a good start. Tyler Myers is the body type, but he's a bit of a project. And even PK Subban has his flaws. To be continued.

Vey was stuck behind Toffoli and Pearson the same way Jurco is to Tatar and Nyqvist in DET. Vey was always talked about being a key peice of LA future this season and last so I think this trade was a no brainer after the way LA has developed talent as of late.

I also got to watch all of the Manchester games here in st.johns live and besides Toffoli Vey was by far the best player on the ice. I also think Vey would make a better RW at the NHL level instead of a C. A 2nd or 3rd line of Burrows-Bonino-Vey could be good.

A big part of LA's success should be credited to the Monarch's development of these young guys, and having their young players all play together.

This should be one of the Canucks biggest goals next season. Make sure Utica is strong and is developing players properly.

Archived